Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which finger do you primarily scroll with on your Mighty Mouse?

• Pointer

Votes: 37 74.0%
  • Middle

Votes: 8 16.0%
  • Frequently switch

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 6.0%

• Total voters

CoMpX

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
...on your Mighty Mouse. I usually use the pointer finger, but I might switch over to the middle.

Kernow

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2005
Kingston-Upon-Thames
Middle.

I have my hand laid out nicely so I don't have to move the fingers too much - index finger on the left button, middle finger on the scroll wheel and ring finger on the right button.

CoMpX

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
Kernow said:
Middle.

I have my hand laid out nicely so I don't have to move the fingers too much - index finger on the left button, middle finger on the scroll wheel and ring finger on the right button.

I just tried that but using the middle finger feels a little bit unnatural for me. Maybe I just have to get used to the new mouse.

M. Malone

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2004
Kernow said:
Middle.

that must be a pain, you can't right click if your finger is resting on the left side of the mouse :D

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
When it's actually working pointer, but more often than not I don't scroll at all.

Bloody stupid mighty mouse design :mad:

Kernow

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2005
Kingston-Upon-Thames
Jericho2550 said:
that must be a pain, you can't right click if your finger is resting on the left side of the mouse :D

Nah - I'm one of those weirdos who naturally lift the left button finger slightly when right clicking, so it's not an issue.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
I will get it out of the way before others who are undoubtedly itching to do so.

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 237
L

Lau

I usually use the index finger but then if I'm doing a lot of, you know, scrolling and stuff, and my finger gets tired, I'm happy to move to the middle finger, or even swap hands. After a fair bit of practice over the years, I find I can use them all equally effectively.

:)

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Lau said:
I usually use the index finger but then if I'm doing a lot of, you know, scrolling and stuff, and my finger gets tired, I'm happy to move to the middle finger, or even swap hands.
Sometimes, if you ask nicely, someone might even take over for you.

L

Lau

emw said:
Sometimes, if you ask nicely, someone might even take over for you.

Definitely, and it's always nice to have someone else do your browsing for you, but on occasion when they're clicking and scrolling all over the screen and you keep having to say "Stop! Click there, for gods sake, not there*" it can be a bit frustrating. But if you find someone who can browse the way you like it, it's very welcome indeed.
*repeatedly :D

Tanglewood

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2006
San Diego, CA
I use my index/pointer finger for left-click and scroll wheel and my middle finger for right click. I hold the mouse at about a 30 degree angle from straight on with my hand so its more comfortable for me to use the index finger to scroll.

CoMpX

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
rafifreak00 said:
Pointer on left mouse *sensor,* middle on right mouse "button."

Always move the pointer to the scroll ball... as all typical people would.

Same way I do it.

Sesshi said:
I will get it out of the way before others who are undoubtedly itching to do so.

Thanks for that, I'm glad you got it out of the way before others felt the need. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.