Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Casey Royals

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
yes it does, but not just for Apple TV, any 4k player needs these. If you’re running 4k you need a 4K-8K 18Gbps HDMI Cable. I use a Audioquest BlueBerry 4K-8K 18Gbps for the ATV to the TV and a Audioquest Pearl 48 8K-10K 48Gbps from the TV to my AV Receiver.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chuckeee

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
you don't need super premium cables. If the cable supports the spec, then it supports the spec.

as long as they're HDMI 2.1, you're good to go
mono price has them, or the Best Buy essentials, or tons on amazon, All for a tiny fraction of the price of the cables mentioned in the last post.

Kenny99

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2018
ST. Louis, Mo.
As "waw74" said its all in the specs'. Check the Spec's on ALL of the items in your "TV Chain". (Cable / Satellite - internet provider, Apple TV, sound bar, and TV. I would select cables that are one step above your needs for future needs and the $ is not that much more.

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
I only buy AudioQuest Cherry Cola 48 cables. They're pretty inexpensive at only $900. Just kidding. Monoprice is fine.

Alameda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2012
you don't need super premium cables. If the cable supports the spec, then it supports the spec.

as long as they're HDMI 2.1, you're good to go
mono price has them, or the Best Buy essentials, or tons on amazon, All for a tiny fraction of the price of the cables mentioned in the last post.
If it’s called an “HDMI 2.1 cable” it does not support the spec. HDMI does not allow the use of the Specification Version Number in its officially licensed, certified products.

The cables which support 1080p60 are called HDMI High Speed and High Speed with Ethernet
The cables which support up to 4K60 are called HDMI Premium High Speed and Premium High Speed with Ethernet
The cables which support up to 8K, and transport up to 48 Gpbs are called HDMI Ultra High Speed

The Premium and Ultra certified cables carry holographic labels with a QR code which can be used to identify them as certified compatible.

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I have always used the Amazon Basics cables and they've been fine for my 4k/60 requirements.

I use an AppleTV 4k 2nd gen, Zidoo z9x, LG 4k UHD disc player, and Anthem avm70 processor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.