Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ish

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
UK
Some advice would be much appreciated. I'd like to buy an ipod but haven't had one before. I'm looking at the ipod video - the 30G would be big enough but the 60G has a better battery life. Thinking it would be good for listening to my language cds, occasional music, as an back-up hard drive for digital camera and for a talking book and maybe video on the (very) occasional trans-atlantic night flight when I'm wide awake and everyone else is asleep and wants it dark. It's for this last reason that I'd prefer the longer battery life - good but not needed very often.

Any idea why the 60G has a longer battery life? Haven't paid much attention to the various incarnations so is it likely that the next one will be better or that it will be more expensive?

I'm not in a desperate hurry but thinking within the next couple of months.

ipacmm

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
Well if you really don't need the space on the 60GB one I would just buy the 30GB iPod, it is a lot thinner which is nice. I have the 60GB one and the battery life is good except for watching movies.

Ish

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
UK
Thanks. I like black too! Based on previous experience, though, do you think next ones out would have a better battery life? Is there a trend in that direction? Don't know why the 60 GB's is better.

ipacmm

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
Ish said:
Thanks. I like black too! Based on previous experience, though, do you think next ones out would have a better battery life? Is there a trend in that direction? Don't know why the 60 GB's is better.

Well I would always think that they will continue giving better battery life numbers as new iPod come out. I think the reason why the 60gb has a better batter life is because it is a lot bigger and has the space for a larger battery compared to the 30gb thinner model.

thechris69

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2005
ya, i bought the 30 gb black, and i had a really bad battery on it, im not sure if it was a defect or not, i would go with the 60 gb, the battery is the main thing if thats wat ur into

aboutthat

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2005
Washington, DC
Call me a purist, but I prefer the white iPods...no contrast with the headphones.

I would recommend the 30GB, since you don't need the extended battery life *that* often. Plus, if your iPod does die mid-flight, there's always a wonderful cinematic experience waiting to be had :)

taylorpc

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2005
St. Louis, MO
aboutthat said:
Call me a purist, but I prefer the white iPods...no contrast with the headphones.

I would recommend the 30GB, since you don't need the extended battery life *that* often. Plus, if your iPod does die mid-flight, there's always a wonderful cinematic experience waiting to be had :)

Agrees. White definitely looks better, IMHO... especially when wrapped up in the amazing Invisible Shield. Can't get much better than that!

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
The 60GB model has a 64MB cache whereas the 30GB model has a 32MB cache. This means less disk accessing which is likely to mean longer battery life. Of course they may also be using a different battery.

Ish

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
UK
aboutthat said:
if your iPod does die mid-flight, there's always a wonderful cinematic experience waiting to be had :)

Hmmm..... do I detect a little irony???

Seriously, though, thanks for all the replies and the info on battery life. It's good to get the opinions first of people who have been there, done it and, for all I know, may even have the t-shirt. Yes, the need for the extra battery life is only occasional so I'll go out and try to look at the two side by side and weigh up the pros and cons.

realmcenter

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2005
Denver, CO
Yesterday I ended up picking up a white 30GB iPod to replace my 4GB mini. I wanted the better battery life and extra capacity of the 60GB one, but it just felt too bulky and I couldn't justify the extra $100 for it. I bought one of the Marware Sportsuits for it and it seems to fit well. I really wish this iPod had the nice aluminum casing my mini has since it'd be a lot more durable. I agree with others that the white looks better. No way I'd want a black iPod, especially since it would not go with my white iBook. Not to mention the black shows scratches far easier than the white. I will have to see if the battery life is acceptable. If it gets through a 2-hour movie then I'll be happy. One thing it really needs is a backlight level adjustment since it is a little too bright at times indoors, although it's great outdoors, not to mention it'd save power.

Ish

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
UK
Got one!

Thanks for all the help. Went out yesterday and bought a 30 GB white ipod.:)

Thought I liked the black best, but for the bigger ipods it just seemed quite a 'heavy' black so went for the :cool: look! The black 4 GB nanos are very sweet but no good for storing pictures direct from the digital camera.

Bought a power adaptor and camera connector to go with it. The jury's still out about a case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.