Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Hi, long term user of Apple but for a year, I know that I can live without a Mac as all software I use are Windows and Linux based. Have been using dual 4K displays with a big desktop PC without issue. However, when trying to use Silicon Macs with those displays, I got that Mac forgetting/confusing settings between displays (of the same model bought at the same time) problem. Apple Tech support could not help me as they had no idea what to do.

Now that I want to use dual 5K displays. I wonder if it is better to get a mini PC (due to space constraint) or a Mac be it a Mini or a MacBook Pro. Not sure if running dual 5K displays on a mini PC would cause noisy fan. Has anybody tried it? If I buy a Mac, I may have the issue mentioned above.

It seems that there are more Mac users using 5K displays than Windows users. How come? What so special about running 5K displays with a Mac?

Last edited:

Flowstates

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2023
I tried hooking up my 4k LG monitors to my PC using an USB-C to DP alternate adapter, to no avail (the relevance of the comparison being that they are also mac specific monitors connected using the thunderbolt specification).

Is it even possible to hook-up one 5k "mac" display to a PC moreso two ?

Genuinely interested.

But my gut feeling would be to go for a mac, the rest would be a hassle and you'll have a much better time with thermals/ noise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.