Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jer2eydevil88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2004
USA
What’s this a p3 that still turns on??? Yeah its old, slow and only has 128mb of ram.

images

.:: ABOUT ::.
It had an Operating Almost on it (Windows 98) but I quickly took that 6gb hard drive out and drilled it apart to get the shiny stuff out of it... I threw a 200gb hard drive in so no worries about the space requirements. I bought a second hand DVD drive for it as the current CD-ROM is broken and in this day and age every Linux release comes out in DVD.

I felt like I needed to throw a teensy bit of money into this to make it a plausible iTunes. Some of these upgrades may even give it the appearance of a real Linux box so hang on to your seats.

.:: Specs ::. - Formerly a stock Compaq Presario 5000
Intel 700mhz P3 slow CPU but free – in a Compaq case
200gb 7200rpm 8mb cache HDD
128mb PC133mhz ram – soon to be 512mb PC133mhz ram once I find an affordable source
Generic 4x CD-ROM (had to use something in the meantime) – I have a DVD drive on its way
Floppy (why… it just had one and until I get bored and take out my .22 it will stay in there)
Intel 810 graphics and chipset (shudder… - Enough said)
10/100 pci lan card
PCI Audigy SE (I bought this off Newegg for $28 and I hope it works with Linux… if not I’ll be sending it back.. for a turtle beach).

I am also looking for recommendations on a good CHEAP PCI video card. Almost anything will be better than the 1mb of shared ram this thing is using now.

All in all I need a linux that runs smoothly on old hardware and detects the hardware.
Damn small Linux ran great but the current video card was not detected making the screen purple and black.

Fedora Core 5 won’t work well in graphical mode and I don’t need a terminal box.

So an idea’s for my Linux box?

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
haha i still have a machine that has specs close to yours, mine was an 800mhz P3 (dvd drive, 80gb hdd, 512mb ram, ...) - search newegg for good deals on pci video cards, there's some for like $15-30.

my fave linux distro of choice is gentoo, but compile times can get really out of control (think 1 week or even more, depending on what you install) but i think there's a jackass thing for P3s at http://jackass.homelinux.org/jackass/index.html

i've thrown ubuntu, freebsd, gentoo, fedora core 3 or so, and knoppix on there at one point or another, and all of them worked great :), although right now it's running winxp for one of my classes (need visual studio 2005, and too slow to run in vpc, and i dont want to dual boot my intel mac)

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Ha, I win the crap PC game...I put Gentoo on a Gateway with a 700Mhz Celeron <shudder>, and a broken integrated graphics chipset (I picked up a cheap Radeon 7000 for display).

I set it to compile, forgot about it for a month, and when I checked it was done. Don't know how long it took, but my friend did one on a PIII and it took 3 days.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Lord Blackadder said:
Ha, I win the crap PC game...I put Gentoo on a Gateway with a 700Mhz Celeron <shudder>, and a broken integrated graphics chipset (I picked up a cheap Radeon 7000 for display).

I set it to compile, forgot about it for a month, and when I checked it was done. Don't know how long it took, but my friend did one on a PIII and it took 3 days.
wtflol mine took roughly a week, i don't remember what it was, but it took a LONG time. Never doing it again. Ever.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
janey said:
wtflol mine took roughly a week, i don't remember what it was, but it took a LONG time. Never doing it again. Ever.

I think it was a 1GHz PIII he used....He recently did Gentoo on a 1.6GHz Pentium M and I think he said it took around 4 hours or so. According to him, the long compile was worth it due to the speed gains you get by customizing the kernel, but frankly I don't have the patience or knowledge for it. :D

I once compiled Debian on a Mac IIci, that took about 24hrs to compile.

Uma888

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2005
Birmingham, United Kingdom
jer2eydevil88 said:
What’s this a p3 that still turns on??? Yeah its old, slow and only has 128mb of ram.

images

.:: ABOUT ::.
It had an Operating Almost on it (Windows 98) but I quickly took that 6gb hard drive out and drilled it apart to get the shiny stuff out of it... I threw a 200gb hard drive in so no worries about the space requirements. I bought a second hand DVD drive for it as the current CD-ROM is broken and in this day and age every Linux release comes out in DVD.

I felt like I needed to throw a teensy bit of money into this to make it a plausible iTunes. Some of these upgrades may even give it the appearance of a real Linux box so hang on to your seats.

.:: Specs ::. - Formerly a stock Compaq Presario 5000
Intel 700mhz P3 slow CPU but free – in a Compaq case
200gb 7200rpm 8mb cache HDD
128mb PC133mhz ram – soon to be 512mb PC133mhz ram once I find an affordable source
Generic 4x CD-ROM (had to use something in the meantime) – I have a DVD drive on its way
Floppy (why… it just had one and until I get bored and take out my .22 it will stay in there)
Intel 810 graphics and chipset (shudder… - Enough said)
10/100 pci lan card
PCI Audigy SE (I bought this off Newegg for $28 and I hope it works with Linux… if not I’ll be sending it back.. for a turtle beach).

I am also looking for recommendations on a good CHEAP PCI video card. Almost anything will be better than the 1mb of shared ram this thing is using now.

All in all I need a linux that runs smoothly on old hardware and detects the hardware.
Damn small Linux ran great but the current video card was not detected making the screen purple and black.

Fedora Core 5 won’t work well in graphical mode and I don’t need a terminal box.

So an idea’s for my Linux box?

Try SLAX.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.