Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Hubby has an iPad Air 16 GB. I want to get him a new one. I see the Air 2 only has the A8 chip. Would you get the pro instead just bc of the better chip? He won't be needing the pencil function etc. Also, he did fill it up at one point but has since managed his space well. Would 32 likely be acceptable? I have a 128 gb phone so I like lots of space. Is content really taking up double the space it did 2-3 years ago or would 32 be a space upgrade?

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
Hubby has an iPad Air 16 GB. I want to get him a new one. I see the Air 2 only has the A8 chip. Would you get the pro instead just bc of the better chip? He won't be needing the pencil function etc. Also, he did fill it up at one point but has since managed his space well. Would 32 likely be acceptable? I have a 128 gb phone so I like lots of space. Is content really taking up double the space it did 2-3 years ago or would 32 be a space upgrade?

I'll just point out the obvious that if he's living within 16GB now, then he can live with 32GB.

But everyone is different. I have a 128GB iPhone 6s+, and it's 75% full. That's my do-everything device, including games, music, movies, and tv shows. But my iPad is the same as yours, a 16GB Air 1. And that's fine because it's not for fun, it's for work... so it's stripped down: just my productivity apps, no media or games, and I store everything in the cloud.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

I think the 9.7 Pro is likely the better option at this point. It's newer and it has more features with the Tru-Tone display, quad speakers and increased speed. I wouldn't say the 9.7 Pro is a huge leap over the Air 2, but it packs more features. 32 GB is only as adequate based on your husbands uses. Also, if you search, the Pro can be found on sale. The Air 2 is a also a gray iPad that can be found regularly on sale.

gobikerider

Suspended
Apr 15, 2016
United States
Wait till March or you'll regret any iPad purchase you make

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016

I don't see a reason why you want to upgrade. Maybe if you upgrade for a specific reason, like more storage, better performance, pencil support it would be easier to assist you.
Personally I would only consider a Pro device at the moment, and if possible, wait for the potential March event for new iPads.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
I would wait till march but Christmas is in December!! I could always buy it, let him open it and then he can choose to return it and get the new one later. I need something for him to open as a gift.
[doublepost=1479825034][/doublepost]
I don't see a reason why you want to upgrade. Maybe if you upgrade for a specific reason, like more storage, better performance, pencil support it would be easier to assist you.
Personally I would only consider a Pro device at the moment, and if possible, wait for the potential March event for new iPads.

I guess my reasoning is I don't want him on an obsolete iPad and I know eventually his current one will have issues...whether battery or software upgrading issues etc. I am a person who likes having the latest and greatest and he is someone who is just content with what he has so I have to prod him along to upgrade.

rusty2192

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
Kentucky
The Pro 9.7" is on sale right now at Best Buy for $125 off. Target will have $150 off the 9.7" Pro and $125 off the Air 2 on Thursday.

I plan on grabbing a 32 GB Air 2 for myself from Target as soon as they hit the website to replace my ancient iPad 3.

As for which to choose, it's all in your priorities and uses. For me, my iPad is for browsing. I dont play games and dont need the pencil. So the slightly faster Pro isn't worth an extra $200 to me. I'll take the base Air 2 for almost half the price of the base Pro and use it for 2-4 years and be happy. Then I'll move on to the next value that meets my needs at that time.

Reactions: theanimala

Codeseven

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2008
I have to say, a lot of people don't care to wait until the next thing comes out. Somebody said the same thing to me around a week ago. Went and got mine. Absolutely love it and I'm glad I bought it.

I agree with you. I have no doubt that a new iPad Pro would be awesome compared to my ol' 16Gb Air 1.

However, I've decided to wait. As long as my Air is 'good enough for now' if I'm going to replace it with a Pro, this close to a refresh, come Spring time I'd rather avoid inevitably having to get rid of last years model that I just got done purchasing a few short months before.

Math889

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2016
The Air 2 has the A8X chip, not the A8. And yeah, its a huge improvement in perfomance over the Air 1
[doublepost=1479906819][/doublepost]buy an new ipad now? wait till March ,just 4 months away!!!!!

Geekbabe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2011
If he won't use the pencil get him an Air 2, a 64GB model, toss in a nice case, AppleCare & he'll he thrilled. I have 64GB on my phone & on my iPad and am very happy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.