Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which one to buy? 10.5 Leopard vs. 1 GB RAM

• Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard

Votes: 15 35.7%
  • 1GB RAM for Macbook Pro

Votes: 27 64.3%

• Total voters

lu0s3r322

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 28, 2005
My birthday is coming up and if Leopard comes out in late March as expected, it'll be out by the time my birthday arrives. I have a base model C2D Macbook Pro with 1GB RAM and more ram would speed up my system.

Which one should I get? 1GB RAM or OS X 10.5 Leopard?

FullCollapse

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2006
Oneonta, NY
i vote ram, as nothing about leopard has particularly impressed me. some of the new features are pretty cool, but i don't plan on upgrading to leopard for quite sometime. i think more ram is more useful, but that's just me.

apple1984

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2006
usa
It depends. If you're a poweruser, i.e. you use your macbook pro for professional needs, I'd go with the RAM. But I'm going to infer that you're not a professional user, so I'd say go buy 10.5 Leopard first. Leopard's going to have a lot of great features, and I think you'll appreciate the upgrade. Besides, it's always good to have the latest OS for compatibility.

lu0s3r322

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 28, 2005
well i have a lot of apps open at the same time and i use like iphoto, word and imovie at the same time

another option would be to buy an airport extreme base station

booksacool1

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2004
Australia
I'd say ram, The newer the OS, the slower the computer runs :(
Personally I havent found 1gb to be sufficient for slow laptop HDD's, a new OS will make the situation worse.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK

Is only true for Windows ;), OS X gets faster, especially with the Intel chips, but it also uses more RAM.

If you are a programmer or like the look of Leopard get that, otherwise if you are use Photoshop a lot then go for the RAM.

phungy

macrumors 68020
Dec 5, 2006
FL/NY/TX
First, are you a student? That way you can purchase Leopard at the student price :)

If so, purchase the RAM. You'll need it to run Leopard more smoothly.

lu0s3r322

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 28, 2005
even at student price RAM is cheaper but Leopard still has some hidden features

lu0s3r322

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 28, 2005
even at student price RAM is cheaper but Leopard still has some hidden features

Old Smuggler

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
i hear alot of people saying ram but
when you call apple tech assuming your still under apple care they ask what version number you are running and when i ws still on panther they really couldnt help me fully because i didnt have
"the latest and the greatest"
so if you are still under apple care i suggest getting leopard
you will get more out of your support needs especially if you were planning on buying non apple ram and run into kernel panics then call in with outdated software well ... you are up the creek then
just my two cents

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
RAM most def. Even 1GB is pushing it with Tiger not to talk of Leopard. What's the point buying a new OS that runs the risk of pushing your system to the limits and also has that significant chance of being buggy as a fresh piece of software.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I would get the ram and then save money and get Leopard later after Apple has had more time to fix any bugs in the first version.

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
I would say, as many others have done, that the RAM sounds the best, but you should buy Leopard ASAP. Excellent chance that Leopard will absolutely blaze on an Intel Mac, and will be a lot more stable. Yes, OSX has been developed for Intel alongside IBM, but this is the first time that the development of an OSX system has been focussed towards Intel Macs, as opposed to towards IBM's chips.

Of course if you want to run Vista on your computer, the RAM is essential, and will make verything run faster in both Tiger and Leopard when you get it.

Anyway, Apple wouldn't leave a slot empty in the MBP if they didn't expect you to fill it real soon.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
Is only true for Windows ;), OS X gets faster, especially with the Intel chips, but it also uses more RAM.

lol, i don't think so, if osx is like u said, why 10.4 asks for 256mb ram base vs. 10.3's 128 mb base ram?

and its interesting u are relating ram consumption to cpu type, care to share some detail and references?

for op, ram, hands down

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
lol, i don't think so, if osx is like u said, why 10.4 asks for 256mb ram base vs. 10.3's 128 mb base ram?

and its interesting u are relating ram consumption to cpu type, care to share some detail and references?

for op, ram, hands down

clevin, i think you're misunderstanding, I'm saying that as OS X's version increases it uses more RAM but acts more responsive given that you have enough RAM. And it will be better optimised for Intel in Leopard than in Tiger.

Basically my iMac G5 with 2GB will be faster with Leopard than Tiger, as will my Macbook.

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London

The history of OS X doesn't bear this out. That said, 1GB is not enough for Tiger, and OS's do seem to enjoy more and more RAM as they grow.

The truth is you really should have more RAM, and you are going to want Leopard, at least by the time it gets to 10.5.1

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
i voted RAM for the reason mrkramer made, but RAM comes down in price; Leopard won't. It may be more cost effective to buy 10.5 when its released and more RAM a bit later.

Or you could do yourself a treat and buy both at the same time! :D

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
i think you're misunderstanding, I'm saying that as OS X's version increases it uses more RAM but acts more responsive given that you have enough RAM. And it will be better optimised for Intel in Leopard than in Tiger.

Basically my iMac G5 with 2GB will be faster with Leopard than Tiger, as will my Macbook.

well, u probably have several points. first, I don't have experience to compare 10.2, 10.3, 10.4, so I can't comment on your statements of every OSX new version increase efficiency of using RAM. I will take it as you stated.:D

But let me make a guess, I agree 10.5 probably (but can't be sure) oped for intel chip more than 10.4. but I just don't think that kind of optimization can compete with the effects of 1G more RAM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.