Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frichard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2001
Looks like not everybody can buy a Dual 800 MHZ so therefore i'm in a dilemma right now!

I've been shopping around for a my first Macintosh and I don't want to mess it up!

I'll start by saying what this machine will have to do ... mainly web design for the moment and afterwards a bit of 3D(Maya) for videogames and video editing (videoclips/shortclip).

Here's the 2 adversaries:

1.- G4 500 Dual, 512 RAM, DVD-ROM, 40 GIG 7200RPM, 100Mhz Board, ATI gfxcard
2.- G4 733, 640 RAM, CD-RW, 40 GIG 5400RPM, 133Mhz Board, GForce2 32Meg

p.s: regarding the gfx card, a gforce3 is probably gonna replace the actual card in any of these 2 system soon after my buying.

This is where you come in my aid ... please help me out on this one .. which one is the best for my purposes ... the Dual for MultiThreading Tasks or the single processor/+gadgets that can probably accomplish the same job.

anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated!

a futur Mac devotee! ;)

if you guys have any other configuration that would fit the same prices ... that would be cool also!

ThlayliTheFierce

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
dual 500

I think I'd go for the dual 500. The 733 lacks some L3 cache if I'm not mistaken, slowing it down. It also has a slower HD. The faster HD and the dualies should make up for the 100 Mhz memory clock, which isn't that much slower than 133 in actual practice anyway. You can always get an external CDRW, and more ram (don't buy this from Apple - it's way overpriced. Go to a 3rd party like http://www.1stchoicememory.com). Definitely go for the new graphics card.

That's my two cents.

frichard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2001
what about the Dual533

Looks like the 533Mhz Dual is one heck of a machine also ... is it a good buy?

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
dual 533

Get the dual...no question. for pure processing power, using X, you'll have the faster machine...and the faster spinning harddrive DOES make a big difference, too.

Kela

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2001
US
NO!

Get the single 733 Quiksilver. It has got more ram which is the key and a Ge Force which is way better than ATI sickening cards. Also a 733 MHZ is faster than the 500MHz. THe duality of the 500 only widens processing power there is no actual speed advantage. Plus, OSX will run like a beauty on both. I would go with the quiksilver since its better, newer and looks cooler.

frichard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2001
thanks everybody!

thanks everybody for your help and if anybody else has an opinion to share .. go ahead!

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
Re: NO!

Originally posted by Kela
Get the single 733 Quiksilver. It has got more ram which is the key and a Ge Force which is way better than ATI sickening cards. Also a 733 MHZ is faster than the 500MHz. THe duality of the 500 only widens processing power there is no actual speed advantage. Plus, OSX will run like a beauty on both. I would go with the quiksilver since its better, newer and looks cooler.

Kela, get a clue. 128 MB of RAM is not a big difference when we are already talking about having that much on the machine to begin with, and I can get 128 MB chips for under $20 anyway. You also clearly don't understand what the benefit of multiprocessor Macs are -- on many things, and particularly many FUTURE applications and of programs designed for OS X, you will have a faster Mac. And, he already said he's putting a GeForce3 card into both machines...hello, read first, please.

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
got to go Dual 533

If you know were you can get a dual 533, then get that its faster and Now with OS X (10.1) arround the corrner, you can take full advantage of the 2x CPUs. More and more apps are out for OS X and soon we well be able to run everything native. RAM? I am with John123, who cares about how much RAM it comes with, RAM is cheep. I just got 2 sticks of 512BM, name brand, life time warrenty stuff for $100.00 a stick. I could have seen cheep 512 for as little as $60.00. The GeForce3? Very nice. I have a GeFoce2 and I get average 80 frames per second in Unreal. I am not a gammer so I didn't step up top the GeFoce3. Have fun with your new Mac!

Illuminatus

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2001
Toronto
Which one...

I'd go for the Dual. Last year I bought a dual 450 when they first came out, and am still happy with the purchase. People give the duals flack because only some apps use the second processor, but if you're working in a design environment pretty much everything you need does use them: Photoshop, Cinema 4D, After Effects...to name a few. And of course anything in OSX.

Also, some video codecs enjoy them too - specifically Sorenson Pro for any Media Cleaner stuff you might do.

And yeah, don't buy your RAM from Apple! With the money you save on the RAM you can upgrade the video card that ships with the machine - GeForce 3 or whatever...

Cheers

Classic

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2001
Dual

Go for the dual, but keep in mind that "the NVIDIA GeForce3 Video Card Kit is designed only for Power Mac G4 systems with the new 4X AGP card slot (Power Mac G4 desktops introduced in January 2001)."

So, if your thinking about getting an older dual that is used, and then putting in a GeForce3, remember that you need a 4X AGP card slot.

menoinjun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2001
the dual 500 has an agp port also, but it is only 2x. I believe that the G3Force3 card is backward compatable, but you wont get exactly the same performance you'd get on a dual 533. Go for a used 533 dualie. It's also got the 133mhz bus. You can by mine for a mere $3499!! It's a kickass computer.

-Pete

Kela

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2001
US
Pkay okay

Ok ok im sad now. Im sorry i said to go with the single G4 Quiksilver. Its just that, its also very powerful and looks more stylish in my humble opinion. ANd since it already has a GeForce and a bit more ram, with a faster processor go for it. But I guess you dual processor advocates will have your way.

frichard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2001
D533 2 sale ..

hey Pete are you selling it for real ... and if so .. what are the specs?

are you in the US or Canada?

JoyBoy

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by ptrauber
the dual 500 has an agp port also, but it is only 2x. I believe that the G3Force3 card is backward compatable, but you wont get exactly the same performance you'd get on a dual 533. Go for a used 533 dualie. It's also got the 133mhz bus. You can by mine for a mere $3499!! It's a kickass computer.

-Pete

You can get a dual 800 for less than $3499...of course I don't know what else your dual 533 has in it.

menoinjun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2001
oh boy...

Ok guys...I dont know how many of you recognize my name from these posts...but I know my Apple stuff. That $3499 thing for my dual 533 was a joke because that is exactly the price of a dual 800. I'm not dumb...just joking around.

Yes I am serious about selling...but for $3499!!! The only extra I have in it is a Adaptec 2930 SCSI card and an extra 256mb of ram. Hey if any sucker wants to buy it...I'll even ship it for free!!

Back to the topic though...if you can get a GOOD deal on a used dual 533...(maybe 1400??) then go for it. The speed advantage is larger that what only 33mhz (x2) should be over a dual 500 because the faster bus speed, the 4x agp and extra fast PCI slots (new on Digital Audio G4s NOT the QS G4s) makes a difference.

I still can't believe that my mac is now discontinued. Oh well...I love it.

-Pete

Megaquad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2001
Re: NO!

Originally posted by Kela

ati radeon is much faster then geforce 2 mx

Megaquad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2001
Originally posted by ThlayliTheFierce
But not faster than GeForce 3, which is what Frichard here is going to get.
true.. anyone knows does os 9.2.1 have "good" geforce 2 and 3 drivers?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.