Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tsk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 14, 2004
Wisconsin
I'm kind of trying to plan my next laptop move here and I'm torn on what I should do. I'd really like to get a 15" but the beast is a fair chunk of change and the 12" is more affordable. I'm looking at the edu discount with the $100 rebate.

If I go with the 12", I think I'd get the 12" Superdrive model. For the extra $100, it seems like a no brainer to get the superdrive and larger HD.

If I go with the 15", I'd get the stock combo unit. I'd love to get the superdrive model with extra video ram, but it's just too much for my frugal side to handle.

The models are $300 difference and if I get the 15" I'd like for it to last me a while. I had a 1GHz 12" I recently got rid of. I liked it, and think I could live with another 12" again, but the biggest problem I had was the lack of horsepower. So, is there any difference in speed between the 12" and the 15"? I thought there was a bus speed difference , but my research seems to indicate both operate at the same speed. Does the 15" have anything else going for it that's not available in the 12"?

Also, what about resale value? Does the 12" hold better value? It looks to me like the 15" models drop quite a bit on the used market compared to the 12".

I'm also definitely waiting till WWDC and hoping for Freescale's with better res on the 15".

Jsmit

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2004
Boston
The major differences are:
screen real-estate
video cards
gigabit ethernet on 15"
backlit keyboard on 15"
firewire 800 port on 15" (the only feature that the 15" has that I wish my 12" had)
pc card slot on 15"
overall size / mass (portability)
battery life
and cost

All the details can be found here. Take a look at the PDF linked to on that page.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
I'm in the same boat you're in. I love the 15" screen because it's bigger, but the 12" is cheaper and more portable. I keep going back to the Apple store to play with them and can't decide. But since I'm also waiting til WWDC (maybe up to a week after), I'm in no hurry to buy one yet.

Lately, I've been leaning toward the 15" combo, but might do a BTO upgrade to SuperDrive since there's the $100 rebate now. Decisions, decisions. :confused:

Agathon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
I just bought the cheapest 12" powerbook. I dallied with getting the next model up, but they had none in stock and I can't see myself filling 60 GB let alone 80 and I have no interest in burning DVDs.

It's a sweet machine – easily the best computer I have ever owned. I find it to be just the right size for taking to the library at university and it comes with all the bells and whistles. I was going to buy an ibook but I am so glad I didn't.

I don't miss the screen space at all, but I'm not everyone.

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
personally i would say go for the 12". i have one and the size is nice - particuarly if you have to take it with you places lots.

i think the difference in spec between the stock 15 and top 12 apart from firewire 800, gigabit ethernet and backlit keyboard is minimal so i would go for the 12!

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
I have both 15" Al and 12" Al PBs. For portability, you cannot beat a 12" PB. It can support ACD 20" and 23" with mini-DVI connectors which come with the 12" PB. Of course, the screen is small because it is 12". But, you can increase the screen real estate by using an external LCD screen (such as ACD). You can do it screen span mode or clam shell mode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.