Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rootarty

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2014
Freshly cloned OS to SSD acting weird !

My lordy me I don't know what is going on here.

I have just booted from my newly cloned SSD into Mavericks and....

First only my native Mac apps came across to the new SSD...but that might just be that commercial apps can't be cloned over...

And...my Japanese keyboard number keys alternate functions seem all jumbled like they think they are a US keyboard, yet I can still just hit the Japanese text button to start typing in Japanese. And in System Preferences under Keyboard I don't see any options to set the keyboard input to the Japanese/English one I have.

Also I can't type my password into terminal when it asks for some reason, which may or may not be related to the keyboard weirdness...

Does anyone have any idea what might be behind these two things?

Rootarty

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2014
What in the world?

Ok, this is bizarre. I cloned the Mavericks OS from my HDD, but on the new SSD the OS is 10.6.4...Snow Leopard.
My Japanese keyboard thinks it's an American keyboard and I can't change its mind so all my symbol keys are messed up.

I have no idea why this happened when I tried to clone my system running Mavericks with everything working normally.

The only idea I have is to format my SSD and make a bootable USB drive with Mavericks on it and try that from scratch.

Any ideas welcome....

Rootarty

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2014
Now this is crazy stuff !

I decided to go nack to my original Macintosh HDD which is running Mavericks and I realise that the other drive with another OS I was running is not my new SSD with a clone to Mavericks on it (because that SSD doesn't appear on this Start Up Disk list at all), but it is SNow Leopard on my Hitachi HDD though I have no idea how Snow Leopard got onto that drive as Machintosh has been my only OS drive since I got this MacPro. *see the screen capture i upload

Anyway, the more important mystery is why isn't my SSD bootable as an OS?
Carbon Copy Cloner failed to make it a bootable drive ?

I guess my next move is to reformat my SSD to a black slate and try to make a bootable USB drive of Mavericks to install onto my SSD.

Dang this is frustrating.

----------

I decided to go back to my original Macintosh HDD which is running Mavericks and I realise that the other drive with another OS I was running is not my new SSD with a clone to Mavericks on it (because that SSD doesn't appear on this Start Up Disk list at all), but it is SNow Leopard on my Hitachi HDD though I have no idea how Snow Leopard got onto that drive as Machintosh has been my only OS drive since I got this MacPro. *see the screen capture i upload

I guess my next move is to reformat my SSD to a black slate and try to make a bootable USB drive of Mavericks to install onto my SSD.

----------

I decided to go back to my original Macintosh HDD which is running Mavericks and I realise that the other drive with another OS I was running is not my new SSD with a clone to Mavericks on it (because that SSD doesn't appear on this Start Up Disk list at all), but it is SNow Leopard on my Hitachi HDD though I have no idea how Snow Leopard got onto that drive as Machintosh has been my only OS drive since I got this MacPro. *see the screen capture i upload

----------

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
You don't need to make that bootable USB stick. Just run the Mavericks installer, and choose the SSD as the destination. It's much easier to make clean install with more than one bootable disk.

At the first boot from your new SSD, you may follow the instruction and use Migration Assistant to copy the settings and apps from the old drive.

Rootarty

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2014
Where is the Mavericks installer?

You don't need to make that bootable USB stick. Just run the Mavericks installer, and choose the SSD as the destination. It's much easier to make clean install with more than one bootable disk.

At the first boot from your new SSD, you may follow the instruction and use Migration Assistant to copy the settings and apps from the old drive.

Hi. Do you mean run Mavericks installer on the SSD where I cloned over only the OS and System Library and Applications folders? The installer will exist inside one of these folders ? Or I have to download it from somewhere?

Please see the attached image.

16488364646_a9848ec841_s.jpg

My original Macintosh HDD is showing. And the very Toshiba HDD, which has an old copy of Snow Leopard on it though I have no memory of ever needing to or trying to install an OS onto it...maybe I put a back up of my old MacAir onto that drive years ago and that's where the OS came from. The SSD doesn't show up here in Start Up Disk as a bootable drive.

Please help :rolleyes::confused:

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
1) Boot from your current Mavericks HDD

2) Download the Mavericks installer from Appstore (if you don't have it yet)

3) The installer should be stored in your HDD, back up the installer (just in case)

4) run the installer from the HDD directly (no need to make the USB stick)

5) Choose "show all disk" after you accept the terms and conditions.

6) Choose the SSD to install Maverick (Assume you already proper format the SSD)

7) After reboot, it should be from the SSD

8) follow the on screen instruction and use migration assistant to copy any user data / apps from the HDD to the SSD.

Rootarty

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2014
1) Boot from your current Mavericks HDD

2) Download the Mavericks installer from Appstore (if you don't have it yet)

3) The installer should be stored in your HDD, back up the installer (just in case)

4) run the installer from the HDD directly (no need to make the USB stick)

5) Choose "show all disk" after you accept the terms and conditions.

6) Choose the SSD to install Maverick (Assume you already proper format the SSD)

7) After reboot, it should be from the SSD

8) follow the on screen instruction and use migration assistant to copy any user data / apps from the HDD to the SSD.

Oh yes, that sounds awesome. I'll try this as soon as I get back from a trip out of town. Thanks so much.

Upgrader

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2014
Using your boot/system SSD for your AE cache (if your drive is a decent size) is a perfectly acceptable workflow. The extra expense of a dedicated cache drive is not obligatory from a technical point of view. Once AE is loaded at boot time there's no asset contention between app operation and accessing rendered frames in the cache, apart from loading the odd plugin here and there. I use a PCIe Accelsior E2 240gb in slot 3 for boot, setting aside 120gb for the cache. It works just fine.

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
The biggest issue in your whole setup is After Effects itself :D

You have a great multiproc machine and AE just doesn't utilise them correctly.... but the good news is adobe have been working on performance almost exclusively for the last year rather than new features... so CC2015 should a big performance increase.

https://forums.adobe.com/message/7155653#7155653

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.