Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Raelthorne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2012
Hi folks,

I'll be travelling around the East coast in May & I've decided to order a Mac Mini (with some customizations off the Apple site: Upgraded processor, 7200 rpm hdd) which I hope to pick up in NYC before heading home to Europe.

From what I've seen it takes about 10 days to get the unit shipped to a store from when ordered, I'll be in NYC for 5 days so I'll time it so the Mini is due to arrive in the store on the first day in NYC. My hotel is exactly 1 mile from both the Upper West Side store and the 5th Avenue store. Can you let me know which would be the better store to collect from? I've heard in reviews on other sites that 5th Avenue is more of a tourist destination & the customer service / lines etc isn't great. On the flipside, I've seen negatives about the Upper West Side store.

Please advise & many thanks,

Thorne

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
5th avenue, it's the flagship store and even though it is very touristy and usually full of people there are always a ton of employees. Plus its open 24 hours so you can go at an obscure time and avoid crowds.

Raelthorne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2012
5th avenue, it's the flagship store and even though it is very touristy and usually full of people there are always a ton of employees. Plus its open 24 hours so you can go at an obscure time and avoid crowds.

Thanks for the replies folks. 5th Avenue it is!

Just another question, when Apple say on their website, Your Mac Mini will be available in the 5th Avenue Store on X Date, how reliable is that date for delivery? (As I said before, I'm going to upgrade the spec so it's not an off the shelf product as such).

Again, thanks for the help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.