Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DEXTERITY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2004
This may be too open of a question. However, is Belkin or APC more reliable when it comes to their UPs's? I have used APC in the past and had no problems. Yet, someone was mentioning to me that Belkins are better (can handle brownouts better). I know Belkin makes good products, but if someone can enlighten me I would appreciate it. thanks..

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
I've had considerable experience with both, and I'd DEFINITELY go for APC. It's not uncommon for an APC UPS to last 10 years or more (with an occasional change of batteries, of course), but the Belkins we've used haven't been anything like as reliable in the long term.

I've found it easier to source inexpensive third-party batteries for APC too.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
If you have frequent brownouts. look for a UPC that has voltage regulation as well as the battery. That way, when the power sags some rather than cuts out completely, the regulator makes up the missing voltage instead of going to the battery. This saves the battery's charge for when the voltages goes below the critical voltage or cuts out. It also makes the battery last longer.

The APC "Pro" series have this feature.

DEXTERITY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2004
I meant ups. My mind is in a million places. anyways. I guess I will stick with APC and get one with voltage regulation. Thanks for the help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.