Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which to get

• New Macbook 2.0GHz

Votes: 12 30.0%
  • Refurb Macbook 2.4GHz

Votes: 19 47.5%
  • Refurb Macbook Pro 2.4GHz

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • Gateway FX6800

Votes: 1 2.5%

• Total voters

eXoBrute

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2008
Alright i have decided to purchase my OWN computer. I'm 15 and always have to use my parents and it gets annoying after awhile because they always need on right when I'm on. So for my 16th birthday in May i was going to ask for a new computer. My parents said they will spend $1400 (i can also add about $200 max of my own money). So these are what i have narrowed it down to, please help me pick.

1) NEW Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz- $1299
2) Refurbished Aluminum Macbook 2.4GHz- $1300 (i think)
3) Refurbished Aluminum MacBook Pro 2.4GHz- $1600
4) NEW Gateway FX6800 with Core i7 920

Now i know you are all gonna say Macbook pro but i cannot buy that unless the refurbished is down below $1500 by May. Also everyone isn't going to say yes to the Gateway but if i get that i will definitely buy a copy of leopard and try and hackintosh it.

So please pick a number on what you think i should get, please read what i said above, Also i have some questions regarding the Macbooks, Do you guys think if i do decide to get the MB or MBP will it be a good time to buy it in May? or should i try and wait (hard to do because this will be for my B-day)

And btw i do like mobility but i could do without it as i have been without it for ever but i also like gaming and photoshopping aswell.

So thanks soooo much for answering.

-eXoBrute-

rick3000

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
West Coast
I would go with the white 2.0Ghz MacBook. It has firewire, plenty of power, and the plastic is more durable than aluminum in my opinion. I am curious to see if anyone votes for the dell.

iSaygoodbye

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2009
a boat
Alright i have decided to purchase my OWN computer. I'm 15 and always have to use my parents and it gets annoying after awhile because they always need on right when I'm on. So for my 16th birthday in May i was going to ask for a new computer. My parents said they will spend $1400 (i can also add about $200 max of my own money). So these are what i have narrowed it down to, please help me pick.

1) NEW Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz- $1299
2) Refurbished Aluminum Macbook 2.4GHz- $1300 (i think)
3) Refurbished Aluminum MacBook Pro 2.4GHz- $1600
4) NEW Gateway FX6800 with Core i7 920

Now i know you are all gonna say Macbook pro but i cannot buy that unless the refurbished is down below $1500 by May. Also everyone isn't going to say yes to the Gateway but if i get that i will definitely buy a copy of leopard and try and hackintosh it.

So please pick a number on what you think i should get, please read what i said above, Also i have some questions regarding the Macbooks, Do you guys think if i do decide to get the MB or MBP will it be a good time to buy it in May? or should i try and wait (hard to do because this will be for my B-day)

And btw i do like mobility but i could do without it as i have been without it for ever but i also like gaming and photoshopping aswell.

So thanks soooo much for answering.

-eXoBrute-

DO NOT go the hackintosh way.Get number 1. The refurbed mbp probably wont go down so yeah.

eXoBrute

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2008
Yeh white macbook is out of the picture (no offense or anything) its just i love the new design, I reallllllly want to get the macbook or macbook pro its just the only thing holding me back is that the new core i7 came out and so its way faster for everything and whatever one i decide ill most likely have for atleast 4 years, so i really wanna get something thats gonna be fast for awhile.

And also no offence (not saying this in a snobby or mean way) but why no hackintosh? i have read like everything there is and everyone who has done it says its just like real OSX just that updating is a pain.

Thanks guys for your quick replys and honesty

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Also consider, a refurbished aluminum unibody MB which for the low-end model is $1099. Or the upgraded model refurbished is in your price range at $1399.

Not too far from your budget is a refurbished unibody MBP at $1699. I would definitely at least ask your parents if could do the $100 plus tax extra to get a unibody MBP. You could come up with list of all reasons the unibody MBP (like dual graphics, better design, more durable and etc) is going to be worth the extra $100 in the long run. I don't know their position, but if money is available it is new technology and a better machine. The unibody's dual graphics is cool. If you want to do gaming, either MBP is the way to go.

I wouldn't go with a PlasticBook, because they crack and are PLASTIC.

Congrats on your new Mac, and definitely go Apple and not a hackintosh. To most, it just isn't right. You will have a much better and fully supported computer if you go Apple.

arthursiew

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2008
SF Bay Area
I just voted for the 2.0 MacBook, but I'm actually in between the refurb and the 2.0. If you like the backlit keyboard, larger hard drive and a processor that isn't much of a difference... then the 2.4 might be a better option for you, but you just won't get the fancy box. The MB Air also fits your price range as you can get a refurb Rev. A for 999 or 1299. You can still get the Pro for $1399 or $1299 (MacMall), but it's the early 2008 model if it matters. Either way... if I was in the situation... I would get the 2.0. I like it and you save 100 dollars.

eXoBrute

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2008
Yeh Ive pretty much eliminated the PC, I went to the Apple store today and just checked the Unibody Macbook Pro and the Unibody Macbook and they are just like amazing, no PC desktop or laptop can even compare to them in design.

So this is what ive narrowed it to:

1) NEW 2.0GHz MacBook Aluminum (unibody): $1299
2) Refurb 2.4GHz Macbook Pro (Unibody): $1699

The reason i have not included the 2.4GHz Macbook refurb is just because i dont really care bout backlit and .4GHz isnt really going to matter for what i do.

So its between those 2. As i said before im on a budget. My parents have agreed to spend $1300 and i can spend $200 (maybe $300 if i make some money by then). So $1600 total and that doesnt include tax. Hopefully my parents will cover tax along with the $1300. But i would still have to come up with $100 more....

Idk im in a big delema. I love the macbook pro but cant afford it.... Is there any other places that sell the MBP unibody Refurb for $1600? And no chances the price will drop before may?

Also 1 last question will it be ok to buy the MBP or MB in May? Ive heard a lot about a hardware update between June and July could be possible. Will it be a big update if there actually is 1?

Thanks guys

eXoBrute

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2008
I know thats what i was thinking... but the power in the MBP

Idk, im so flustered right now, I want the power of the MBP but also the price and Portability of the MB. I do occasional gaming like Warcraft III Frozen Throne, WoW Private servers, and Call of duty 4 and Need for Speed Carbon.

grimreaper1377

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2007
What do you use your computer for? IMO, I would go for the MB.

EDIT: just saw above post. MB will be fine.

jadekitty24

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
The poor section of Connecticut
From what I've read the MB would be just fine for your needs...are the above mentioned your only requirements? Keep in mind it is so easy to be sucked into the "needing the latest and greatest" schtick when setting your sights a bit lower would suffice...that is a decent budget your dealing with, and that being so I would recommend a Mac in the very least, but unless you are using Pro apps for serious reasons a MB would definitely fit your needs. Good luck with your purchase and congrats on being able to chose such a good lappy!!:)

PS...might I add, in my opinion, refurbs are the way to go because they are more thoroughly checked for defects. When you buy new possibly one in a thousand are actually checked for quality assurance, at the very best. When you buy a refurb they are tested for sure. The chances of you getting a lemon are a lot lower due to this plus usually the warranty is about the same. Just make sure the refurb you buy is the revision of the model that you want. Sometimes they may be Rev A when you want the latest, say Rev C...

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
I would go with the white 2.0Ghz MacBook. It has firewire, plenty of power, and the plastic is more durable than aluminum in my opinion. I am curious to see if anyone votes for the dell.

It is not a matter of opinion. Plastic is less durable than Aluminum. That is fact. And it wasn't a Dell, but a Gateway. Please read the thread carefully next time.

Idk, im so flustered right now, I want the power of the MBP but also the price and Portability of the MB. I do occasional gaming like Warcraft III Frozen Throne, WoW Private servers, and Call of duty 4 and Need for Speed Carbon.

Get the MBP. I'm also 15, and I would definitely choose a MBP over a MB any day. Better screen, bigger screen, more power, about the same price, etc. it's the best bang for the buck, especially in these poor economic times.

Vulcan

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA

Go for the MBP, just save up a little longer. If your gaming goes a little above occasional to the point where an integrated chip doesn't meet your needs, you will be wishing you waited a month or so and got the MacBook Pro. The 9600 is much more future proof than the 9400M being the 9600 is dedicated, and in result will be able to run the latest and greatest games longer.

Additionally, you get a nicer and bigger screen, some glowing keys, a firewire port, and a nicer set of speakers.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
So this is what ive narrowed it to:

1) NEW 2.0GHz MacBook Aluminum (unibody): $1299
2) Refurb 2.4GHz Macbook Pro (Unibody): $1699

The reason i have not included the 2.4GHz Macbook refurb is just because i dont really care bout backlit and .4GHz isnt really going to matter for what i do.

Oh.....I would have chosen the 2.4 GHz Al MacBook (unibody) refurbished. For what you do, it would have been perfect, plus you get the unibody design that you said you like.

eXoBrute

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2008
So is the 2.4GHz MB a big difference from the 2.0GHz MB?

I really would rather have a new 1 if i could but i obviously cannot afford a new 2.4GHz MB.

eXoBrute

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2008
Yes but is there a big difference between the 2.4GHz MB and the 2.0GHz MB

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
The difference is around 10% in real-world speed tests, and the backlit keyboard.

The only reason I prefer the 2.4 GHz Al MacBook refurb is because, according to you, it's the same price as a brand new 2.0 GHz Al MacBook (both are $1399). You reduced the number of options down to 2, but excluded the 2.4 GHz MacBook for no reason I could think of other than that you may not be comfortable with a refurb.

I guess if you're not comfortable getting a refurb, and would rather have a brand new 2.0 GHz MB, then go for the new MB. ;) Personally, I don't mind refurbs at all because they're probably as good as new, and a backlit keyboard would be pretty sweet. :)

*in real-world testing, reviewers only saw a 10% increase in speed.

acrahm

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2007
i had a similar decision to make when i got my MBP, and what came down to my decision was the refurbishment MBP i was getting was something like 22% off the original price where as the MP was only 17 or 18% so i went with the better deal?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.