Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wiiiiilllll

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2005
i dont really like safari and i want to start using a different browser. any recommendations?

tia

ohcrap

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2005
Firefox...

I can't understand why anyone would use anything other than Firefox on any OS?

The only advantage that I know of that Safari has over Firefox is Private Browsing.. :rolleyes:

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
ohcrap said:
Firefox...

Camino is also popular because some people feel that it looks/feels more like Mac OS. I tried both and Camino felt faster than FF so I trashed FF. If Safari starts to get sluggish or Camino, I'll switch to the other and vice versa.

iindigo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco, CA
ohcrap said:

There are several reasons not to use Firefox on OS X, mainly being that it doesn't behave/look like a true Mac OS X application in many ways, even after applying a good OS X-like skin. Also, it doesn't support Cocoa services (with niceties like spell checking and the Ctrl-Apple-D dictionary shortcut) as well as other GUI annoyances such as using a fake toolbar instead of a real NSToolbar and using a customization window when it should be a sheet. Many times, at least for me, Firefox takes longer to start up than Safari and Camino.

I use Safari with adblocking, my own browser (surfDude), or Camino most of the time. I refuse to install Firefox until Mozilla decides to make Firefox a *proper* Mac application (and hopefully drop its Carbon programming along with it).

ohcrap

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2005
I guess, for me, Firefox does everything it needs to. :)

That's my vote, and I'm stickin' to it, dammit! :D

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
This subject comes up all the time, so check some of the other threads on the subject. My favorite browser is Safari, but if I were going to use a different browser, it would be Camino, or Omniweb (Omniweb would be first except that it costs money).

Peter Griffin

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2005
Firefox here as well,

Just a quick question to those using FF. Have you noticed that the FF will automatically go to your previous page sometimes when you use the two finger scroll?

Verto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2005
Denton, TX
When I was using Windows XP (before switching over) I used Firefox all the time. Now, I use Safari. I've tried Camino, but not Firefox. I just don't see the need first of all, as I did with Internet Explorer. Also, Camino didn't have the extensive plugins available to Firefox on Windows....does the OS X Firefox have these plugins/extensions/themes?

Also, Firefox was much more fast than IE, whereas Safari is a very capable browser, with tabbed browsing already there.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Peter Griffin said:
Firefox here as well,

Just a quick question to those using FF. Have you noticed that the FF will automatically go to your previous page sometimes when you use the two finger scroll?

There's an easy fix for this. Too lazy to search for it now, but it's not hard to find. I've got it fixed on Firefox on both my Macs.

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
Firefox

I like extensions and use many of them. It's usually very speedy for me. I also use it on Windows and Linux, so I'm more familiar with it. I do seem to get a few more beachballs with FF, than with the others. Deer Park aka 1.5 seems to be a big improvement.

Safari

It's quick and intergrates very nicely into OS X. I never dare to open to many tabs with it, because it doesn't seem to like it (crashy, crashy). I didn't much like it in Panther, but it seemed to improve with Tiger.

Camino

It's speedy and stable and, IMO, looks better than Safari. It's lately been my primary OS X browser. Despite me using Nightly builds, it's also been the most stable browser for me.

Opera

It's very speedy and I love Sessions. Of all the Mac browsers I've tried, this one looks the most out of place... I don't really think it looks very good on the Mac. Use it alot in Windows though.

OmniWeb

Nice enough... but feels "heavy". It slows down quickly when I start opening a lot of tabs. Haven't really used it extensively because of this.

All in all, I use Safari, Firefox and Camino on Mac. What I use as a primary browser depends on cool new functions, my mood and the alignment of the planets.

Verto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2005
Denton, TX
OK, so Safari does have one huge problem, that so far I haven't been able to solve: whenever I want to open a website bookmarked in a folder, in a tab, it ends up opening up all sites in that folder, even preempting the page I'm currently on. So I switched to Camino. Unfortunately, MacRumors doesn't display properly; everything appears white, instead of having a gray/silverish theme for the User CP, FAQ, etc buttons; anyone know what setting is preventing this from displaying properly?

EDIT: I fixed it. :p

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
I just use Safari. I don't have time to play around with too many browsers, after all, it's just a BLOODY BROWSER!!!! :mad:

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
I use Safari as my main browser, Camino for some private business and
Firefox for some other private business.

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 294

Euan

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2005
UK
Even thought I've XP I use Firefox but I keep IE as a backup - not all sites full function on FF.

When (No date yet!) I change to Apple I'll probably retain FF although I may take a look at Safari.

macOSX-tastic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2005
At the Airport. UK
i use safari...i like the look of it, but when it does become sluggish, i use firefox. i have all the same settings anyway, but they are both miles ahead of IE.

coming 2009: new IE 7 with all new TABBED BROWSING AND THEMES!!!

this will, scarily, be true.

tastic

:D

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
I use Safari but switch to either Firefox or Camino on certain sites, e.g. the PCWorld site as this doesn't work properly in safari

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
Lacero said:
I just use Safari. I don't have time to play around with too many browsers, after all, it's just a BLOODY BROWSER!!!! :mad:

That's what many IE users say too.

Not that I'm comparing you to them or anything.

jalagl

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2003
Costa Rica
I preffer Safari, but have both Firefox and Camino in the Dock ready to go for the times where Safari starts spinning the beachball like crazy.

If Safari was a bit more stable, I'll use it 100% of the time.

tom.96

Suspended
Jun 13, 2003
I really like Netscape 7. I'm using it now and I've never had a problem. I find it is fast and reliable with all the features I need - I've used it since the early versions on Windows and Mac and always found it good for me.

Alas it seems as though I am the lone Netscape supporter on these forums!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.