Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rschapel

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2004
I posted something similar to this before, but after reading the that rumor today, I am starting think more and more that G5 in power books will be out by the end of this year. Most people told me that a PB would hold its value better than a Ibook (verus the orginal price) But with the Powerbook going from a G4 -> G5 it seems like there would be a big dip right there (not just normal depreciation, but now there's a new chip out) We wont see the ibook changing like that for a WHILE. I figure I can get by with an ibook for a year, then maybe even get the 2nd generation powerbook g5?

Basicly I am trying to lose the LEAST amount in depreciation because I KNOW I am going to want that powerbook g5 =) Not to mention I want to buy in the next 2 months, rather than wait.

--Randy

carbonmotion

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2004
San Francisco, CA
Who knows? 667 titaniums still sell for a grand on ebay... thats due mostly to the beautiful design and the status stigma attached to the powerbook name...yeah pbks will retain value better then ibooks... you should buy a powerbook, sell it in a year and buy a powerbook G5 at minimial money loss.

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
The Powerbook will lose more dollars in value than the iBook over the same range of time.

If you look on eBay for an iBook 500MHz, you'll end up spending $600 for it - about $400 less than it was new. If you look for a PowerBook 667MHz, you'll end up spending $1000 for it - that's $1200 less than it was new.

Higher-end machines always depreciate faster and further, that's a fact of life.

Opteron

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2004
South Australia
Err, you don't buy a computer with the intention of selling it.

However the PB of course will be worth more than an ibook of the same vintage.

carbonmotion

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2004
San Francisco, CA
Originally posted by cubist
The Powerbook will lose more dollars in value than the iBook over the same range of time.

If you look on eBay for an iBook 500MHz, you'll end up spending $600 for it - about $400 less than it was new. If you look for a PowerBook 667MHz, you'll end up spending $1000 for it - that's $1200 less than it was new.

Higher-end machines always depreciate faster and further, that's a fact of life.
dude you can still get more money out of the powerbook.

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
Originally posted by Magickmas
dude, the initial cost outweighs the resell cost.

He's right, buying a top of the line iBook would be the best option... or buying a refurb model (you save a few hundred right off the top, and there will be no less resale value).

Dave00

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2003
Pittsburgh
One important factor in depreciation, however, is how long you'll be able to use the system you buy. If the powerbook loses more resale value but you can use it for longer, its depreciation could actually be less than that of an ibook.

Case in point: In October 2000 I bought a new Pismo 400 for, I think, about $3000. It's currently worth around $600-700. I believe the 14" ibooks were running ~$1800 at the time (though I could be way off.) Anyway, I can still use my Pismo, and do every day. It's a little slow for some things, but that's all. Now, if I'd purchased an iBook instead, I'm fairly sure I would've had to replace it around the time OS 10.2 came out.

Obsolescense (sp?) is what drives new purchases, at least for me. A $2000 computer that takes 3 years to become obsolete has better depreciation than a $1000 computer that's obsolete in a year.

Dave

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
um, this is a weird thought...

why would G5 PB have different effects on iBook and G4 PB's value?

just because G4 PB wouldn't be "the best" PB? that sounds silly. if you are going to buy used, would you care if it's top of the line or not? of course not, because if it's used, it can't be top of the line...

PB, in general, will sell for more than the iBook because it's usually better spec'ed. i think its value has little to do with whether or not there's a better "PB" in the market.

tiktokfx

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2003
DC Metropolitan Area
If anything, G5 PBs would make the resale value of a G4 PB better than a G4 iBook, since the resulting glut of G4 PBs would allow more people to go for a PB than an iBook, making the iBooks' prices drop more significantly.

junior

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2003
Originally posted by tiktokfx
If anything, G5 PBs would make the resale value of a G4 PB better than a G4 iBook, since the resulting glut of G4 PBs would allow more people to go for a PB than an iBook, making the iBooks' prices drop more significantly.

The point is, the ibooks' prices don't drop more significantly. Yes, they are cheaper second hand than Powerbooks are second hand, but look at the original prices of those products. You will see, in %, that you get back far more dollars for what you paid with an ibook than you do for a powerbook. Go check out ebay.

tiktokfx

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2003
DC Metropolitan Area
Yes, and you're missing my point, which is that when G5 PowerBooks are available, there will be so many G4 PowerBooks available used that used buyers will be able to opt for PowerBooks over iBooks; both will drop noticeably in prices, but iBooks will be in even less demand used. Therefore PowerBooks will retain their value better in the coming years.

junior

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2003
If there are going to be so many used powerbooks available, powerbooks are going to be a lot cheaper (in relation to their original price) second hand than they are now, and right now, the fact is that ibooks retain their value more than powerbooks do.
I see your point, but I think your point is wrong. Let's wait and see.

carbonmotion

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2004
San Francisco, CA
are either of you in marketing or economics ...because if you're not, they you're probably just guessing the effects and you dont really know...am i right? because i did not study either fields so I know i'm just approximating my answers from a very limited database ...aka my own experience.

junior

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2003
Originally posted by carbonmotion
are either of you in marketing or economics ...because if you're not, they you're probably just guessing the effects and you dont really know...am i right? because i did not study either fields so I know i'm just approximating my answers from a very limited database ...aka my own experience.

?

klyau6

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2004
DC
i'm studying marketing AND econ. i say powerbooks will retain more value in the long run, but that's just my two cents.

junior

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2003
Originally posted by klyau6
i'm studying marketing AND econ. i say powerbooks will retain more value in the long run, but that's just my two cents.

As a computer that you're looking to keep for a few years, sure, but this guy wants to sell his new laptop by around the end of this year. And he wants to loose as little money as possible. He is likely to loose more money buying a PB now than he would buying an ibook. I think you only have to look at past records (ie ebay) to make an educated guess like this.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
any computer will eventually depreciate to zero. therefore, the one that loses the least value is the cheaper one.

q.e.d.

junior

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2003
Originally posted by zimv20
any computer will eventually depreciate to zero. therefore, the one that loses the least value is the cheaper one.

q.e.d.

Well put.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
The best way is to not buy anything now and just wait for the G5PB that why you don't lose any value in anything. That being said id say a Powerbook will have a better resell value because the ibooks will be even more obsolete when the G5 Powerbooks come out that the current Powerbooks will value about what the current ibooks value now. Does that make sense?

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
Originally posted by zimv20
This is true unless the computer earns vintage status (e.g. like the original Mac 128k).

Personally, I would not buy a computer for a year and then sell it for a slightly better model because, even though Macs do hold a lot of their resell value, you still lose quite a lot for only a small gain. I wait for around 4 years, then get a new one. Then I have 2 computers, with the old one for secondary uses.

The inevitable G5 PowerBook within the next year or so will not affect PBs any more than it affects iBooks. iBooks are cheaper to begin with, so maybe the better deal if you want to sell it after a year or two. But you may find that you become attached and don't want to sell it! Then again, don't discount the 12" PowerBook. It will initially cost more, but you will probably only lose around the same amount for it so it would be as good a deal. The PowerBooks are very stylish machines.

EDIT: I suppose my last paragraph doesn't make that much sense. I guess I mean: buy whichever one you want to get, it won't make too much difference (although, in general, the more you spend, the more you are likely to lose, eg. - 15/17" PBs would not be a good option)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.