Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ccindy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2001
WA state
Do any of you know any ideas as to why when I format a floppy using Apple's Disc Utility in 10.2.3 it never remounts it and it damages the floppy? I have to eject it from Disk Utility, and then the disk is damaged afterwards. I've checked my drives manufacture's web site and they say that no X drivers are needed and that there are no problems, so , please, help! This is the only forum I have found with people who have problems with this drive, no people in Apple's forums have anyway. Now, before I get a gaggle of replies from folks condemning me for even owning a floppy, I use 2 to 3 different floppies a day, I have to, because half this world still uses PC's, and I work with them everyday at school. My alternative is to buy a pc, which I'm planning on doing anyway, but I would like to be able to do homework and such on the Mac, and when I eventually go to Mac OS X mainly, which won't happen until I get a new Mac, I would like to still use it for that purpose. I know that when Apple pulled the floppy drives, they lost a lot of customers, (I know some of them) they didn't lose me, and they won't, but they could regain a lot of people, and get more from the windows side if there was a floppy again!

Especially if they would bring back the Apple made superdrives, the ones that read all formats down to 720 or 740. I would pay alot for that.

I have a B&W 300MHz G3 Rev a with 448 MB of Ram and am running 9.22 as my main OS, and 10.2.3 everynow and then, please help if you can.:confused:

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
New Albany, IN
It's my understanding that you must format the floppy disks on a PC. If you format on a Mac, you can only use the floppy with a Mac. But, if you format on a PC, the disk can be used on both Macs and PCs. Formatting on a PC should solve your problems.

ccindy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2001
WA state
Thanks

Hi, unfortunetly I can't format in any format at all, mac or pc, I havn't eve tried pc, just mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.