Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Matt-M

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2009
Nashua, NH
Either way, this is a pointless argument/analysis as its impossible to tell without being able to physically put a few iPhones from different batches together to get a real physical comparison.

Here's another way to slice it (literally). Flipped half the image. Left the guidelines on this one as well.

thickness2.png

I agree that this is no substitute for measuring the actual phone, but, at least in that photo, they are identical. Certainly not off by 1mm as the original post states.

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
So you've waited this long for the white iPhone 4, then you put it in the case!? ROFL!

You do know there are clear cases used to protect the phone from scratches, right? And rigid "bumper" style cases that still show off the front and back. Not every case covers up the entire phone.

Corban987

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2011
Michigan
So you've waited this long for the white iPhone 4, then you put it in the case!? ROFL!

Agreed, why would you put a case around an iPhone 4 - you trying to make it UGLY, most cases just scratch the back of th ephone anyway as dust/dirt gets in there and just rubs between the case and the phone.

Waiting all this time for a white iPhone only to cover it up - DUH!

jon1987

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2011
Here's another way to slice it (literally). Flipped half the image. Left the guidelines on this one as well.

I agree that this is no substitute for measuring the actual phone, but, at least in that photo, they are identical. Certainly not off by 1mm as the original post states.

Are we the only ones who can see that these photos have identical size iPhones in them? Ha

derpasaurus

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2011
"A colleague of mine just picked up a 16 GB iPhone 4 in white. I was a bit surprised when I picked it up off his desk (I had my black 32 GB in my other hand at the same time) – it immediately felt thicker."

LOL, that's absolutely ridiculous.

Also, why is everyone feeling so sorry for the case makers...like Apple is screwing them over? It's not their responsibility to cater to the case makers.

I completely agree. No one can pick something up and "immediately" tell that it's 0.25 mm thicker than another object. I call BS.

AGREED!

mBEpD.png

skinned66

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2011
Ottawa, Canada
I just did that, and loaded one of them into Photoshop for a little measurement. Here is what I got:

The stacked shot is not exactly the one I would have chosen to do that with (the first shot would have been mine). But thank you for taking the time to do it and post it - I actually didn't expect your result for that shot. I don't have photoshop with me ATM, but I'm guessing the same methodology would not have the same result on the other shots just at glance.

Of course, it would be nice to have some better composed and higher quality photos to do it with. Or if anyone is willing to donate an iPhone 4 of each, I'd be glad to give detailed analysis with proper photos :rolleyes:

At this point I guess the best I can be is uncertain.

Matt-M

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2009
Nashua, NH
The stacked shot is not exactly the one I would have chosen to do that with (the first shot would have been mine).

The one I used is the only one that does not have significant perspective distortion.

Highly suspicious of the first shot -- it appears that you can see the face of the white iPhone, but not the black. If the white is taller, it should be the other way around.

D4F

Sep 18, 2007
Planet Earth
It's ok that Macs are overpriced big time, no problem that they come with not so up to date hardware yet people bitch that they are 'screwed' cause they will need a new... bumper case....

Hahaha. I just can't stop laughing.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
Imagine if someone at Foxconn accidentally hit the number next to the one he was supposed to hit ;)

jon1987

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2011
Surely by now there is someone out there with a White iPhone, a messuring tape or calipers that can just tell us these photos are nonsense? Please? Pretty please? Xxx

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
This is what happens when Apple buys their white iPhones off the street in China. Keeping it real folks...keeping it real......

ten-oak-druid

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2010
Give it up already. This is not true. The only image you could trust is the one looking straight on for both phones and they look the same in that one. All the rest use perception to make one look thicker.

And the case issue? LMAO!
1. Apple would tell case manufacturers if this were a problem so that they could prepare.
2. The difference in thickness would be minimal (10%?? No way). So only a few cases would be affected so owners of white iphones would have to selected from a smaller variety of options. If this were a true story that is.

The only people who could possibly get upset would be owners of black iphone 4's who bought a white iphone 4's and want to use the same case. But how many people actually bought an iphone 4 less than 6 months ago and are now buying the same phone again just for the color?

skinned66

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2011
Ottawa, Canada
The one I used is the only one that does not have significant perspective distortion.

Highly suspicious of the first shot -- it appears that you can see the face of the white iPhone, but not the black. If the white is taller, it should be the other way around.

The second one you posted with the guide lines is much more convincing.

If the other "confirmations" are true, I don't know how to explain your results.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007

Take a closer look at those edges there...they aren't lined up correctly, still meaning the results are out. I agree that its certainly not 1mm, but its still not getting an accurate result. I might even go as far as to say the plastic is thicker, and the band is thinner.

If you look at the middle gridline, you can see very light masking from the black overlapping the white...not a major amount but enough to be a few microns out of shape.

Maybe we should just grab a couple of iphones for...ahem....testing purposes! :)

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
Surely by now there is someone out there with a White iPhone, a messuring tape or calipers that can just tell us these photos are nonsense? Please? Pretty please? Xxx

Yes, everyone carries calipers or measuring tape with them everywhere. Get a grip already.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
Is the white iPhone being demoed in the retail stores? Surely someone can go there and compare also.

oliversl

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
FUD!

Just put a rule on top of both iphones and take a clear/focussed photo! Can believe this is not in Page2 :(

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
I agree - if this does turn out to be in fact the truth Apple has some explaining to do.

Yes, definitely a scandal. Steve Jobs must respond to this immediately on twitter so the word gets out about how Apple will make new White Phone's whole. More free bumpers would be the minimum, I would think. We must marshal the media and post youtube videos about this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.