Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

falcon1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2006
Georgia
I'm considering getting a macbook but i've heard and seen some very bad discoloration where you rest your palms and even on the mouse area. I'm just wondering from current users mainly the ones that have used their macbook for a extended period how the discoloration is and how you can prevent or remove it. Thanks.

falcon1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2006
Georgia
I'm going to wait to get a mac computer until Leopard comes on this spring because I don't start college still next fall and I would like the see what happens with them and what changes come about. I'm wanting to get a MBP because of the processor and how much RAM you can get and also because I like the way it looks and screen size is about the size I want.

tundotcom

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2007
NYC
BSE doesn't make a skin for the MBP unfortunately. You'll have to go for one of those expensive Invisible Shield skins.

Cristian

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2006
El Paso, TX
I've had my mac book for 7 months and it is discolored:( it's gray all around the inside light and dark. I noticed it like 3-4 months after i got it.

richard4339

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
Illinois
The silver gets fingerprints really easily, it seems to me. Moreso than that, though, the MBP casing gets dents easily. You can take my word on this.

falcon1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2006
Georgia
Either way I go it seems that it will chip or discolor. I'm starting to consider a desktop but a laptop is needed for college.

phungy

macrumors 68020
Dec 5, 2006
FL/NY/TX

Apmonia

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2003
re: MacBook discoloration

I have had a white MacBook for about seven months with no discoloration. It seems that some people will have a harder time with discoloration because of the oils on their hands or if they didn't wash them etc. I seem to remember that there was a difference in the construction of the newer models versus the older ones that had this problem.

The best piece of advice is to purchase a skin of some sort to protect it if you are that worried.

falcon1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2006
Georgia
Well i'm strongly considering a white macbook. Black ones aren't bad but I want something where when you look at it you know its a Mac. Also I was considering get a apple wireless keyboard to cut down on the discoloration and only actually use the notebook keyboard at school or when i'm around the house.

Also do the macbooks get hot and the fan starts going at full speed it if sits on the desk for a long period of time on? My Dell does this and its just a pain in the butt.

phungy

macrumors 68020
Dec 5, 2006
FL/NY/TX
Well i'm strongly considering a white macbook. Black ones aren't bad but I want something where when you look at it you know its a Mac. Also I was considering get a apple wireless keyboard to cut down on the discoloration and only actually use the notebook keyboard at school or when i'm around the house.

Also do the macbooks get hot and the fan starts going at full speed it if sits on the desk for a long period of time on? My Dell does this and its just a pain in the butt.

The white MB + white wireless keyboard will look nice :). All you need is the wireless Mighty Mouse..

The Macbook does not get hot for long periods of time. Mine gets hot when I burn CD/DVDs or run many programs.

Boxer

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2006
Overland Park Kansas
Marware makes a great palm rest pad that I have heard good things about. I am going to get one for my MBP. I would think if you get a white one this would be a nesecity.

phungy

macrumors 68020
Dec 5, 2006
FL/NY/TX
Do the black macbooks chip or discolor?

A member posted pictures of (not his) blackbook chipping but came to the conclusion that the owner had abused the blackbook to make Apple replace it. In the same thread, blackbook owners have reported no signs of chipping.

A small sample of members have reported slight discoloration though. To prevent this I'd advise spending a few Andrew Jacksons on an invisible skin from BestSkinsEver :)

TequilaBoobs

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2006
Do the black macbooks chip or discolor?

my blackbook has a dot on the right handrest that is changing color, from black to yellow. it's about the size of this :confused:

however, it doesnt look like a sweatstain or as bad as it does on a whitebook, but i thought id just share one person's blackbook discoloration experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.