Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ohsnaphappy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
  1. Watching flash video, MBP was extremely hot, screen turned white/grey pixilated.
  2. Restart would show Apple logo, but progress bar would always go half way, then the whole screen would go white. Reset PRAM. No change.
  3. Recovery mode would not launch via CMD R
  4. Internet recovery mode would launch via OPTION CMD R. Progress bar on internet recovery mode fills up completely, MBP restarts automatically, then white screen, no Apple logo.
  5. Used a TB cable to enter target mode from my iMac, First Aid found no problems. Used Disk Utility in target mode to wipe the aftermarket SSD.
  6. Launched internet recovery mode. Once again, the globe spun, progress bar filled up, MBP restarted automatically, then white screen, no Apple logo. Nothing. Just white screen.
  7. Made a bootable USB to install EL Cap on blank SSD. Held Option on startup, selected the bootable USB. Progress bar for install of EL Cap goes about 3/4 then white screen. No restart, just white screen.
  8. Am I right to think faulty SSD? Or are there other options to explore? Other possible hardware failure? FYI - just installed a new battery from OWC a month ago.

killjoys

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2011
Australia
Could be GPU failure, but we'll need more information about your Mac. Screen size, model year, etc.

Yeah, it sounds like a GPU failure. I believe (I was told by Apple) that the boot screen still appears as normal because the logic board provides the graphics for it rather than the iGPU or dGPU and if there's a graphics issue it will display as a white screen after the Apple logo appears. The Apple logo not appearing after the first reboot is weird to me though.

Understandable if you're out of warranty that you wouldn't want to call Applecare but perhaps consult this link to see if you're using one of the models that has a GPU issue.

MrAverigeUser

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2015
europe
if your MBP is included in the "Extended repair program", contact apple immediately/ASAP because this program expires in about 10 days!

ohsnaphappy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
Yeah, it sounds like a GPU failure. I believe (I was told by Apple) that the boot screen still appears as normal because the logic board provides the graphics for it rather than the iGPU or dGPU and if there's a graphics issue it will display as a white screen after the Apple logo appears. The Apple logo not appearing after the first reboot is weird to me though.

Understandable if you're out of warranty that you wouldn't want to call Applecare but perhaps consult this link to see if you're using one of the models that has a GPU issue.

Can I replace the GPU myself? No harm in trying since it's dead right now without it.

Apple says my MBP was purchased in a different country, so it's not eligible for repair. News to me as the second owner. Oh well

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Can I replace the GPU myself? No harm in trying since it's dead right now without it.

To repair it Apple would replace the whole logic board.

Apple says my MBP was purchased in a different country, so it's not eligible for repair. News to me as the second owner. Oh well

Apples warranty offers global coverage. The country that it was purchased in won't matter for most repairs. I'd call AppleCare and see if they can help you.

ohsnaphappy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
Hope you guys are wrong about the GPU, logic board is $500. Guess I will sell it for parts after I test this new SSD I have coming from Amazon.

Thanks so much for the feedback though!

killjoys

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2011
Australia

That's odd, I mean country of purchase shouldn't affect it's eligibility... it should still be covered considering it's a global issue on that particular model. I think whoever told you it was ineligible was wrong in this instance and it might be worth calling to consult again.

Anyway I wouldn't recc replacing the logic board or GPU yourself as it's probably more worth your money spending it on a new computer.

Best of luck to you though, hope all goes well and that a replaced SSD fixes your problem.

ohsnaphappy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
That's odd, I mean country of purchase shouldn't affect it's eligibility... it should still be covered considering it's a global issue on that particular model. I think whoever told you it was ineligible was wrong in this instance and it might be worth calling to consult again.

Anyway I wouldn't recc replacing the logic board or GPU yourself as it's probably more worth your money spending it on a new computer.

Best of luck to you though, hope all goes well and that a replaced SSD fixes your problem.

That's what this link told me: http://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro-videoissues/

When I entered the serial number it said the MBP country of origin didn't match my current location and therefore I was ineligible. I also assume they'll want a sales receipt which I don't have as the second owner.

killjoys

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2011
Australia
That's what this link told me: http://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro-videoissues/

When I entered the serial number it said the MBP country of origin didn't match my current location and therefore I was ineligible. I also assume they'll want a sales receipt which I don't have as the second owner.

That sucks. I mean it even calls it a "worldwide" program so it really shouldn't affect it at all! What do people even do when they move overseas? Surely Apple can negotiate these issues sometimes...

I still think it might be worth a call - just to really confirm it, but it may cost you a fee so maybe just cut your losses.

As for me, I was given a one off free call as I noted that I was certain I had that particular GPU issue (I have an early 2011 15" model), and that they had noted I was a loyal customer. Apple advised me to go to an authorised technician for a walk in consult and luckily enough for me, 1 week later I get a replaced logic board for free. I don't think you need a receipt as long as it says there's a valid purchase date when checking the serial. I didn't have a receipt as mine was a gift but there was still a valid purchase date which checked out for Apple.

Again, I hope things work out for you and best of luck.

ohsnaphappy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
Well the SSD didn't fix anything. Behaved exactly the same. So I'll try to take it to the Apple Store and see if they'll honor the recall.

If not, how much can I get for it? Or will I be better off parting it out? Thanks again!

MrAverigeUser

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2015
europe
stay cool in the apple store.
It is CLEAR that the GPU-failure is a design failure - so apple IS responsible, all around the world and without any limit ("Expired program" ) - if not: in Europe ( and shurely also elsewhere) there are (besides low-level ones) also good 3rd party services which do an exchange of the GPU (with better soldering) for about 200-250 EUR.

killjoys

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2011
Australia
Honestly I have no idea how much these older models go for - especially with a damaged logic board/GPU.
I hope someone else who has more knowledge regarding that can help you but I can't.

Otherwise, make an appointment with Apple or an Apple authorised service provider (or walk in if they allow) and tell them your problem and that changing storage drives didn't help and you suspect it's that specific GPU issue. Be aware it still might cost you - I was told that if they concluded the problem wasn't GPU related that I would have to pay an out of warranty diagnostic fee regardless of whether I decided to fix it or not - so just keep that in mind I guess. Not sure if Apple Stores charge similarly.

I feel like staying cool and calm and rational will help your argument and might garner some sympathy to honour the free fix. Again, previous owners should not affect the eligibility of the machine. I believe you can buy Applecare in another country and have it still be valid for Macs so I don't see why the same doesn't apply to a known worldwide issue.

Again, best of luck.

MrAverigeUser

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2015
europe
Honestly I have no idea how much these older models go for - especially with a damaged logic board/GPU.
I hope someone else who has more knowledge regarding that can help you but I can't.

Otherwise, make an appointment with Apple or an Apple authorised service provider (or walk in if they allow) and tell them your problem and that changing storage drives didn't help and you suspect it's that specific GPU issue. Be aware it still might cost you - I was told that if they concluded the problem wasn't GPU related that I would have to pay an out of warranty diagnostic fee regardless of whether I decided to fix it or not - so just keep that in mind I guess. Not sure if Apple Stores charge similarly.

I feel like staying cool and calm and rational will help your argument and might garner some sympathy to honour the free fix. Again, previous owners should not affect the eligibility of the machine. I believe you can buy Applecare in another country and have it still be valid for Macs so I don't see why the same doesn't apply to a known worldwide issue.

Again, best of luck.

Every pro can do a hardware-test. Not only the "genius" at the apple bar.
The genius say in 99% of the cases "It´s broken. Garbage now. buy a new one"

exchange of the GPU is exclusively offered by Pros ouside the apple-empire - for about 200 USD.
a serious 3rd party service can do diagnosis often more precise than the "genius" - and they know WHAT electronic device is to be repaired/Exchanged. It is their job, their base for earning money is to have as much satisfied customers as possible.

killjoys

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2011
Australia
Every pro can do a hardware-test. Not only the "genius" at the apple bar.
The genius say in 99% of the cases "It´s broken. Garbage now. buy a new one"

exchange of the GPU is exclusively offered by Pros ouside the apple-empire - for about 200 USD.
a serious 3rd party service can do diagnosis often more precise than the "genius" - and they know WHAT electronic device is to be repaired/Exchanged. It is their job, their base for earning money is to have as much satisfied customers as possible.

I agree, any pro can do a hardware test - but my point was more that only Apple/Apple authorised places can do a test, determine whether it has the GPU issue and swap out the faulty hardware (for free).

I'm sure OP could go to a non-authorised 3rd party and pay a relatively small fee to get it all fixed and I'm sure a serious 3rd party pro could do a more precise job but my replies on the thread was pushing the safest and cheapest option.

Atreyu25

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2005
Hope you guys are wrong about the GPU, logic board is $500. Guess I will sell it for parts after I test this new SSD I have coming from Amazon.

Thanks so much for the feedback though!
Why not check with Apple to see if you are in warranty??

ohsnaphappy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
Hey guys, you won't believe what Apple did. I took it in, talked to a genius. MBP had no OS, told him everything. His diagnostic indicated the GPU was fried. He told me about the recall, sent it in. Two days later it's back with a new mobo AND battery. I literally just put an OWC battery in it, but that failed their official diagnostic. So they just gave me a new one!!!!

I've had HORRIBLE experiences at this particular Apple Store in the past. But my God, since Angela's taken over it's a whole new store. What an AMAZING experience!!!

MrAverigeUser

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2015
europe
I think the relevant decision was made in Cupertino (but Angela may be a part of the decision makers):

Good News:

The extended Repair Program for MBP 15" has been extended !!!

Now it concerns also Retina models, even one from 2013.
MBP from 2012 are NOT included. I don´t know if theses MBP
are better designed or have better GPUs or whatever lets them be excluded.

Now it remains valid and active until
December 16th 2016
or
for 4 Years after purchase

whatever will last longer.

---->>> http://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro-videoissues/

Affected Models

• MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011)
    • MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2011)
    • MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2012)

• MacBook Pro (17-inch Early 2011)
    • MacBook Pro (17-inch Late 2011)
    • MacBook Pro (Retina, 15 inch, Early 2013)

ohsnaphappy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
I think the relevant decision was made in Cupertino (but Angela may be a part of the decision makers):

Good News:

The extended Repair Program for MBP 15" has been extended !!!

Now it concerns also Retina models, even one from 2013.
MBP from 2012 are NOT included. I don´t know if theses MBP
are better designed or have better GPUs or whatever lets them be excluded.

Now it remains valid and active until
December 16th 2016
or
for 4 Years after purchase

whatever will last longer.

---->>> http://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro-videoissues/

Affected Models

• MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011)
    • MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2011)
    • MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2012)

• MacBook Pro (17-inch Early 2011)
    • MacBook Pro (17-inch Late 2011)
    • MacBook Pro (Retina, 15 inch, Early 2013)

I just mean at my particular store. My company owns 5 macs. We depend on them for everything. In the past, I've taken my Macs in, with Apple Care, and they told me to go screw myself. Told me everything was Adobe's fault. In 2012 the managers made a circle around my wife and scolded her until she cried. She started yelling "let me go, please let me go" and they kept scolding her, she had to push through them and run out. They told her she was a scam artist and they weren't going to let her scam them and they would remember her every time she came in for now on. All because Photoshop would freeze on our iMac and the whole screen would turn pixilated - which we demoed for them on multiple occasions at the genius bar.

Fast forward to today and our local Apple Store is like paradise on earth.

MrAverigeUser

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2015
europe
I just mean at my particular store. My company owns 5 macs. We depend on them for everything. In the past, I've taken my Macs in, with Apple Care, and they told me to go screw myself. Told me everything was Adobe's fault. In 2012 the managers made a circle around my wife and scolded her until she cried. She started yelling "let me go, please let me go" and they kept scolding her, she had to push through them and run out. They told her she was a scam artist and they weren't going to let her scam them and they would remember her every time she came in for now on. All because Photoshop would freeze on our iMac and the whole screen would turn pixilated - which we demoed for them on multiple occasions at the genius bar.

Fast forward to today and our local Apple Store is like paradise on earth.

You informed apple about this remarkable and very special "customer care" at that time? I hope so…
At least I hope the so-called managers got all fired in the meantime?

killjoys

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2011
Australia
Hey guys, you won't believe what Apple did. I took it in, talked to a genius. MBP had no OS, told him everything. His diagnostic indicated the GPU was fried. He told me about the recall, sent it in. Two days later it's back with a new mobo AND battery. I literally just put an OWC battery in it, but that failed their official diagnostic. So they just gave me a new one!!!!

I've had HORRIBLE experiences at this particular Apple Store in the past. But my God, since Angela's taken over it's a whole new store. What an AMAZING experience!!!

Great news man, hope it works out well for you.
I've heard the replacement GPUs aren't so great though (experience same issues) but we'll see.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.