Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Re: dude

Originally posted by lucs
aw man, i just realized you gotta have 500+ posts to have your own avatar.....that really suxor dude, i mean, cmaon, what happened to freedom of speech and stuff?
As much as I would love my own avatar now, having to wait until I reach 500 gives me something to aim for. Hope the next few months fly by! :cool:

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: Re: dude

Originally posted by King Cobra

Having an avatar has nothing to do with freedom of speech. If I remember correctly, Arn (or someone else) even said that an avatar is only supposed to make someone stand out and so that newbies and those with less than 500 are given a little more respect.

It's not really a respect issue...

The point of 500 posts before Avatar is twofold...

1) Bandwidth is not unlimited... so don't necessarily want unrestrainted avatarage...

2) I find too many avatars a bit distracting. What's nice about the 500 post rule is that the people who are around enough for 500 posts should be relatively "known" by others on the board and an avatar will be an identifying icon...

Please note for avatar hopefuls - meaningless one-word posts etc.... will not be tolerated... there's enough other stuff to talk about that this shouldn't happen...

arn

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
My future avatars!

Originally posted by King Cobra

Having an avatar has nothing to do with freedom of speech. If I remember correctly, Arn (or someone else) even said that an avatar is only supposed to make someone stand out and so that newbies and those with less than 500 are given a little more respect.

Well, I do not relate the avatar with freedom or respect. I think is an awar for spending so much time writting "interesting" stuff here (yeah right).

My avatar was done in flash, of course can be done in about anything. I may do more complex things later on.

If my incomes still like this, I may use the space of my avatar as a comertial banner! All I have to do is to find a good sponsor:D

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
I like the idea of the Avatar, its a quick way to identify a person, especially avatars like JefHatFields and DukeStreet.

I do like the fact that the avatar is also limited to posters with a post count of over 500 because this allows you to also recognise posters who do not post often.

1 word posts are often useless.

Ensign

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
in reference to one-word posts

for the record...

I quoted arn in my above post...and added a few lines of my own...

and I'm a bit puzzled as to why there's nothing there except for my winking smiley?! :confused: :eek:

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Re: in reference to one-word posts

Originally posted by eyelikeart
for the record...

I quoted arn in my above post...and added a few lines of my own...

and I'm a bit puzzled as to why there's nothing there except for my winking smiley?! :confused: :eek:

I've had that happen to me a few times, where I've tried to quote someone, and clicking on a smiley on the left wipes out the whole message...

My only guess is that it's a bug in the vBulletin code.

lucs

macrumors member
May 2, 2002
Chicago
i know, i know

yeah, i know, i was just a lil upset...but hey, i joined yesterday, i still have a long way to go :)

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by TiMacLover
How do I add a avatar?

If you last a little longer and post 389 more times, you'll get one. If you read the thread you'll see that it takes 500 to get you an avatar.

All this talk about them makes me want to go out and do another one. I think I'll try one more this week, v 3.0, just for the hell of it. Hey Arn, is it possible to change my name?

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
Originally posted by dukestreet
Hey Arn, is it possible to change my name?

u can change your name...MacAztec did it before...

I don't know if I'd be stepping over the line or not but I can do it for u...

and I wonder what v.3.0 is going to be like? ;)

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by eyelikeart

u can change your name...MacAztec did it before...

I don't know if I'd be stepping over the line or not but I can do it for u...

and I wonder what v.3.0 is going to be like? ;)

It will have to do with the name and be much cooler than what I have now, of course. And obviously 3D.....

I might hold off on the name change until I get the avatar done though, that way it would be a complete update. The only thing that would link me would be my signature and my post count. I'm not thinking about doing it to hide, just because it would be something more relavant.

Thanks for the offer, I'll let you know when I'm ready.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by dukestreet

I might hold off on the name change until I get the avatar done though, that way it would be a complete update. The only thing that would link me would be my signature and my post count. I'm not thinking about doing it to hide, just because it would be something more relavant.

I can change your name if you really want me to... but you've built up a lot of name recognition with your current name.... would be a shame to lose it. (though we can transition you like MacAztec did)

arn

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
the only other name i would want to see duke going with is "floss gordon"

And jelloshotsrule wins the cupie doll!!!

Yep, thats the one I'd go with, but I want to get Floss Gordon modeled and animated so I can use him as an avatar. That and his space ship, the Cavity Fighter. If I do it, I'll post a thread, I don't think it would be that big of a change, since I'd still have the flossing.org signature, most people would get it, I imagine.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by teabgs
How about the poster formally known as Dukestreet?

That's pretty good, but then I couldn't shorten it a couple months later to
'the poster'

That one goes to eyelikeart:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.