Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jack F

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2010
I can't stand iTunes, I use a little app called Ecoute to play all my iTunes music without needing iTunes. The only time iTunes is loaded is when syncing my iPod.

Bisz

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2010
ON, Canada
iTunes is terrible, Windows, OSX, it doesn't matter, its the underlining software thats terrible, the interface is impossible to use, the most unintuitive things ever. Bah.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
iTunes is terrible, Windows, OSX, it doesn't matter, its the underlining software thats terrible, the interface is impossible to use, the most unintuitive things ever. Bah.
Maybe that's your experience, but I've been using it with zero problems for years, as have millions of others.

Fiveos22

macrumors 65816
Nov 20, 2003
Maybe that's your experience, but I've been using it with zero problems for years, as have millions of others.

I'd have to agree. I've been using iTunes since 2002 and have only run into one recurrent problem: moving both a library to an external hd and having the data file update to reflect the change (thus not losing all the rating and playcount data). However, the last time I did this (seven months ago) turned out to be a non-issue.

I agree that its getting "bloated" feature-wise; however, it still runs better than any other program that I have used for media purposes.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
F knows what iTunes is doing right now but I'ts been beachballing for the past 15 mins and my iMac's HDD is working overdrive.
Screen-shot-2010-06-12-at-06.58.43.png

I'm not force quitting the process in case something else goes wrong. :mad:

EDIT: And as I post this rant, it started working again..... :eek: :D It knows I tell ya!

carmenodie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
I think a lot o you are paid to come here and disparage potential Apple product buyers. Itunes is a master piece and I've been using it for ten years. To all the newbies out there please don't listen to the trash being spewed by this people.

R94N

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2010
UK
I haven't used iTunes on Windows because Windows sucks. On the Mac, I have zero issues with iTunes. Works great!

As a suggestion, perhaps this is your problem:

ibm-pc-at286.gif

:)

Mark

Gotta agree. Some people still use machines like that, if they haven't been broken yet :p

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
I think a lot o you are paid to come here and disparage potential Apple product buyers. Itunes is a master piece and I've been using it for ten years. To all the newbies out there please don't listen to the trash being spewed by this people.

That's a worrying thought. Paid shills do exist but some people do have genuine problems with iTunes (see my screenshot above) so to nullify everything on your theory is a bit blinkered.

Of course, there will be paid shills who also try to dismiss any problems people have with Apple's products too so it cuts both ways I suppose.

pasipple

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009
I just posted this in a separate thread....so I'll post it again here!

This is the answer to all the pinwheel problems...

I decided to install iTunes 9.2 Beta and the colored pinwheels are gone! Yeepee!

I've been using iTunes for over a year and I almost always got pinwheels at launch and certainly every time I updated my apps. Now no pinwheels!

I'm a happy camper! Prior to this version upgrade...iTune was the most frustrating program I've ever used on my Mac.

And scrolling through the cover art for my music and movies is SO SO much faster.

I think Apple is onto something with this latest upgrade.

Aug 26, 2008
I have to agree on this one. iTunes is pretty bad on both OSX and Windows for me. I find it a pretty ugly app, one that simply does not display the music in a nice way (grid view is atrociously slow, list view is so bare) and makes using it a complete pain. Plus it lags on any system. It's just plain bad. I would greatly want a current looking update.

If you're on Windows, try the zune software. It's ridiculously awesome. If MS put Zune on OSX I would be thrilled. Don't think it will happen though. That program is probably the best thing MS has done outside of Windows (I actually think the Zune software is "better" but that's a bit like comparing a car to a pencil). I know that doesn't help you with syncing iPod's though.

macrazee

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2009
iTunes is fine on Mac, always has been. Windows version is hit or miss (mostly miss) due to QuickTime issues mostly.

I hear 9.2 has some significant improvements (even on Mac) so I'll wait and see but overall I find no issues with the Mac version of the software. As much as I despise iTunes from time to time (it is big and bloated...) there's no other software package on ANY platform that can even come close, especially when you have iDevices.

vansouza

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2006
West Plains, MO USA Earth
iTunes is fine on Mac, always has been. Windows version is hit or miss (mostly miss) due to QuickTime issues mostly.

I hear 9.2 has some significant improvements (even on Mac) so I'll wait and see but overall I find no issues with the Mac version of the software. As much as I despise iTunes from time to time (it is big and bloated...) there's no other software package on ANY platform that can even come close, especially when you have iDevices.

OK, I am going to be careful, I hope. But iTunes on my iMac sucks huge amounts of wind. It is the one and only app I can put money on to beach ball, or lock up or force me to reboot, a hard reboot. But it has been better of late. I have to give it that.

InfoSecmgr

Dec 31, 2009
Ypsilanti, Michigan
Yes really. I've been trying to teach my parents how to do even basic things with it for years and it really is an unintuitive piece of crap, which is strange for Apple. I've been able to teach my parents to browse the internet, install and disable addons on firefox, use office, even use Photoshop. But iTunes is a pain in the ass.

It would be so much simpler if we could simply drag and drop music and videos and what not directly into the iPhone.

Eh...then there is something wrong with them. Sorry. I think you are a troll. Period.

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
I can't stand iTunes, I use a little app called Ecoute to play all my iTunes music without needing iTunes. The only time iTunes is loaded is when syncing my iPod.

i tried it and its nice and all that but it uses the same amount of cpu and ram as itunes for me.

Soliber

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2009
I really don't understand why some people hate iTunes the way they do; I think it's a godsend...
It manages my rather big (+- 90GB) much more efficiently than would be possible through Finder/Windows Explorer. Genius and Genius Mix are just plain awesome (provided you have a decent large music collection), it provides a portal to the iTunes Music Store, which is great to find new music that you like, and it manages my iPhone nicely.
Granted it's not lightning fast, but even on my 4 year old pc, it still works as fast as I want it to.
What I do understand, is that iTunes is not ideal for people who just download a couple of songs with bad meta tags, instead of complete proper albums. It shines in its database/catalogue approach, which is of course overkill if you can't even fill an iPod Nano with music :)

calb

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
UK
As far as OS X is concerned, nothing can do iTunes like iTunes. Sure there are downsides, but clearly none so significant that someone saw the need to create a suitable replacement.

wankey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2005
They need to rewrite iTunes in cocoa. Make it far more integrated into OS X rather than a separate program.

Stop making it slow as hell (I've never seen a program literally crash for 1-2 seconds when loading a 3mb sound file)

Give us folders rather than just play lists. The right panel should look like Finder in a way.

But #1 thing is speed. Scratch iTunes music store. Just integrate it into safari. When I click it, I go to itunes.com rather than browsing through it using iTunes.

iTunes should be a super fast media organizer (they should rename it to iMedia or something) And I get everything else from itunes.com using safari which for me loads the website 10x faster.

Caleb531

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2009
I use iTunes because it does what I need (for the most part), and it's the best option for such needs. It handles my music just fine, and I find the iTunes Store the easiest solution for downloading music, video, etc.

Of course, that doesn't mean it's perfect, or there's no need for improvement. I do wish iTunes could be faster (especially when syncing). I'm not a fan of the new iTunes Store either (it's slower than its predecessor). I would be very grateful to see a Cocoa version.

brianfast

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2010
iTunes is crap on Windows 7 64...

It is mediocore on OS X...

I don't know why they don't have a built in feature to get rid of duplicate tracks... apple creates duplicates with their stupid insistence on moving all music to iTunes music folder.... grrr.

Cheese

macrumors 6502
iTunes Rocks

I sit back and (lurkingly) watch all the hating and fan-person-ing -- really! iTunes is crap? Compared to what? I am also calling troll, and shill barn to this thread. I have used iTunes since it's beginnings, and nothing has ever been equal on any level. It is a program that has to deal with a lot of different formats, and users from both ends and as it has grown, so have the nicks in it's armor, but it is still the best. Tell us what is better, what "blows it away"?

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
I sit back and (lurkingly) watch all the hating and fan-person-ing -- really! iTunes is crap? Compared to what? I am also calling troll, and shill barn to this thread. I have used iTunes since it's beginnings, and nothing has ever been equal on any level. It is a program that has to deal with a lot of different formats, and users from both ends and as it has grown, so have the nicks in it's armor, but it is still the best. Tell us what is better, what "blows it away"?

Purely as audio players, Foobar2000 and Winamp on Windows are much better in performance, format support and usability. On OSX unfortunately there are no good alternatives.

I tolerate iTunes only because I have to use it with my iPhone in OSX. On Windows I move music to the iPhone using Foobar with the iPod Manager plugin.

iTunes has grown from a music player to something completely different and that's why it fails. While as a music player it is a bit rubbish, when combined with all the syncing and store etc functionality it becomes one of the worst applications Apple has devised.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.