Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rambo47

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
Denville, NJ
My iMac remains the "server" for storing everything. I can access all my files from my MacBook Air via "Connect To" over WiFi. And my iMac backs up daily to my Time Capsule.

akhilleus

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2014
I'm in this group. Everything is stored on my MBP or External HD. Some stuff is just on my iPhone but it's mostly stuff I don't care about. Never used the cloud once, just not interested.

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
My iMac keeps all my music, backups, videos etc. I sync the iPhone to it with a cable.

elixxxer

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2012
Always have and likely will for some time. I am a physical media hog - my desktop is a powerful one with lots of storage (four 2TB drives - and a few smaller ones as well - with little room left). The "monitor" is a 32" IPS Panasonic TV and it's just wonderful. People tell me about watching movies/TV/high quality video on their iDevice and I just think...no.

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
I back up to my Mac laptop. And it's been a saver during updates while some had reported problems doing it over the air.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
Old thread but whatever...I still use my MBP as my hub - if I buy a song or an app, I never do it on my phone or device - I always do it on my MBP, then use an old fashioned cable to transfer it to my devices.

I also do not use iCloud at all.

I consider my MBP (and its TC backup) to be my master source of material, everything else is fed from it.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I use my iMac at home as a hub. My contacts, calendars, and itunes stuff is of course in the cloud, and all my iDevices are connected to it. But all non iTunes media, and my photos outside of what I sync up in photo stream, are still synced of my iMac.

Then there are personal documents and such, which get synced to everything via dropbox. Including a subset of photos I upload from my phone, and all my dSLR photos.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
The Macbook Pro is the main hub.

Apple TV, Airplay via Airport Express for the iPhone/iPad, Home Sharing, iTunes content, iPhone mirroring to the TV, all revolves around the Macbook being on.

smooth

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2007
Detroit
I have an MBP that is my media hub. I use iTunes to distribute music, movies, photos and apps to 3 iPads, an iPhone and 3 iPods. It is also the hub for my TV shows that I use Apple TV to watch. In retrospect I should have went with an iMac. My year-old MBP is plugged in most of the time and I use my iPad for almost everything. I just use iCloud for my "day planner apps" - reminders, calender, contacts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.