Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peterwdale

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2008
Just ordered my third one!

I just ordered my third one, $229 from Apple.

Kudos to Apple for deliver this "2.0" functionality with a software update for us first-gen buyers. I was guessing this would be the case, but was holding off to pull the trigger on the third one just in case.

I have historically used the Apple TV boxes mostly for the kids content (purchased TV Shows and movies from iTunes, and Handbraked owned kids DVDs), they absolutely love it. But now with the movie rentals, my wife and I will use them as well!

We have Charter for cable and their VOD was terrible, no HD, limited selection, several technical issues with purchases, crappy interface, so we got rid of their STBs and went to Series 3 Tivos a while ago and just gave up on VOD.

Apple TV movie rentals with an HD option, exactly what I was hoping for! Maybe longer term we will also get an HD movie purchase option...

kjr39

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2004
I'm still going to wait and see how they handle 5.1. If Handbrake can be updated to include 5.1 to the Atv, I'll get one. If not, no thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.