Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Prefer MB/MBP without the drive and 4 pounds or less+0.8 inches or less?

• I don't need an internal CDROM/DVD drive and am fine with an external option.

Votes: 17 25.0%
  • I need my MB/MBP just as it is, despite the heaviness+bulkiness that comes with the internal drive.

Votes: 51 75.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
So I'm just wondering what is the percentage of Apple Macbook and Macbook Pro users who need the internal CD drive. I personally need it only every 3 months or so, and could happily live with having an external drive. Looking around on the market, this would make it possible to make an Apple laptop of 4 ponds or less in a 0.8 inch or less chassis. So let's do this very simple binary poll: who'd prefer to have an ultra-portable laptop to one with a CDROM/DVD drive?

ero87

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2006
New York City
i think a modern laptop with no cd drive woudl be very, very silly.

and i wouldn't want the macbooks to be any thinner, i find a little sturdiness comforting.

djscouserboy

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2006
It'd be ok until you needed to re-install the OS (which admittedly isn't very often !)

Personally, my Macbook is my only (and hence, main) computer. I use DVDs with it all the time travelling so I personally wouldn't want to live without it.

ero87

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2006
New York City
It'd be ok until you needed to re-install the OS (which admittedly isn't very often !)

Personally, my Macbook is my only (and hence, main) computer. I use DVDs with it all the time travelling so I personally wouldn't want to live without it.

i'm always frightened when people talk about the necessity of "reinstalling the OS"... I have no idea where my OS disc is. Doesn't everyone just throw all that stuff into some corner and play with the computer?

thankfully my iMac's been rock-solid (knock on wood :rolleyes: )

Asar

macrumors regular
May 29, 2006
no cd drive? whats next? no keyboard, everything is just by voice? lol. just kidding. but i need my cd/dvd drive, its a great part of my macbook.

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
How would Apple now compete with the gaming market, and also personally I really like installing programs and watching DVD's. I guess NeoOffice would do, but you can't get MS Office: Mac without an optical drive. Also, I like the sturdiness of the MB. It's thinner than a **** (well that sounded gay), and still very small. People who whine that they can't carry an MB are just not very strong...;)

capoditutti

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2006
London
Your Poll question is a bit of a strange one, as you're offering the MBP without the drive built-in as a tasty alternative to something you think the other users may be annoyed with too..

I'd rather have the optical drive, as there are many apps i use/media i enjoy, that currently are on dvds/cds. I'd need a 1TB hard disk, and an OSX version of VirtualCD/DVD, and more Ram as standard, before i started considering moving around with a MacBookPro that doesn't have an optical drive built in.

Also, how did you calculate those weight loss figures - the optical drive isn't all that heavy...

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I wouldn't be complaining about a very powerful computer that is only one inch think. If it were 3 times that, then I could see your argument, but a CD Drive-less computer aint gonna happen, mostly because no one (with the exception of you and maybe 3 other people) would buy it.

Liza

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2006
New York City
Even with two external HDs, I still like to back-up my Word and Final Draft files onto a CD.

My MacBook is extremely light and portable the way it is -- never a problem!

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
<Falls flat on face, laughing only like a monkey can>

I need my MB/MBP just as it is, despite the heaviness+bulkiness that comes with the internal drive.

Sure, if you can find a lighter and thinner 15.4" that matches the specifications of the MacBook Pro, let us know <giggles out of the room>

wiraone

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2006
The only times I use the CD/DVD drive on my MBP were when I need to reinstall the OS, and when installing softwares which come in CD/DVD (Microsoft Office + Norton AV). Rarely need to use the drive in my normal day-to-day computing.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
How much weight does a SuperDrive actually contribute to the overall weight of a MBP/PB?

It just so happens that I have a disassembled PB next to me, and I pulled out the SuperDrive. Wish I had a scale.

Sawtoothdude

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2006
honestly I think removing the optical drive is a terrible idea. millions of people install software using discs every day and it would be foolish to take away an easy method of software transportation. what if the person has no internet and doesnt want to lug around an external drive or has no other computer to hook the Laptop upto. I say optical drives should stay with the laptop.

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
I'd appreciate that CD drive for that occasional game of Civ IV that I play from time to time...

Which unfortunately does not work without the DVD due to copy protection :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.