Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rcha101

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2006
Who rates there Music properly? for example giving different stars do the music they like,

im asking as on another forum i go on, i said im rating mine they thought it was a waste,

do you rate your music & why?

These days I do use ratings extensively. I started using them because I wanted to create a playlist with recently added music which I was still deciding whether I liked it or not. Sometimes I need to listen to a song a few times before I make up my mind. What I did was I rated all my current music and then created a new playlist called 'Unrated' which contains only songs that don't have a rating. Once I know I've listened to all the songs in this playlist a few times I know I can delete any songs that still have a rating of zero stars. I also have a '20 most highly rated' playlist for listening to my favourite songs.

bdj33ranch

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2005
I rate mine
I have smart playlists that pick out
5 stars
4 and 5 stars
3 stars
2 stars
I typically assign everything in a new album with 3 stars. I have a smart playlist that pulls in all songs with 3 stars that has been played fewer than 4 times. I will listen to that smart playlist and reassign a star value in my iPod as necessary. If I don't change the star value it automaticlly drops out of the new album playlist and into the regular 3 star playlist after it has played 3 times.
I use 2 stars for non-songs.
I do use 1 star but only with new album songs as a way to quickly sort when syncing with my music library so I can blow them away.

myyours

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2008
I had a major breakthrough when I stopped using the ratings system as a way of saying how much I like a song, and started using it as a way of saying how frequently I want to hear a song.

5 Stars - Once a month
4 Stars - Once every 3 months
3 Stars - Twice a year
2 Stars - Once a year
1 Star - Once in a blue moon

And then I setup a series of smart playlists that creates one master playlist.

1. 5 Stars + "Not played in the last 30 days" (Limit: 200 songs)
2. 4 Stars + "Not played in the last 90 days" (Limit: 450 songs)
3. 3 Stars + "Not played in the last 6 months" (Limit: 225 songs)
4. 2 Stars + "Not played in the last 12 months" (Limit: 50 songs)
5. 1 Star + "Not played in the last 24 months" (Limit: 25 songs)
6. New/Unrated (Limit: 75 songs)

There's no scientific formula for why I chose those particular limits. Mostly they're pretty proportional to what my entire library looks like.

This method ensures that I always have a playlist of "fresh" music, so I don't get burned out on the same songs over and over. I found that if I listened exclusively to 5 star songs, eventually, I'd get sick of some of them and they'll get dropped to 4-star or 3-star songs. This method prevents that.

Galley

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2008
I rate songs based on their highest chart position:

5 stars: Top 10
4-1/2 stars: 11-40
4 stars: 41-100
3-1/2 stars: 100+, or above average album tracks
3 stars: average album tracks
2 stars: below average album tracks
1 star: utter crap (remixes, etc.)

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
I rate my music as i listen to it. I am not going to go through all my music (9500 songs), but i do rate them as they come on. I do that usually when i am traveling with my MBP.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I beginning to use ratings. I'm an album guy and will buy the entire album instead of just a song or two. With that said, the ratings help when I want the best songs from an album to sync. For instance, I have every album Mary J. Blige has put out. But my playlist that I sync to my iPhone is her 5 star songs.

They help when I'm putting together a playlist of my best hip hop or jazz albums.

mzd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
i do. everything starts at two stars and then moves up or down depending on how much i like the song. i use these ratings in a couple smart playlists. i'm pretty casual about it though. like when i think of it, i'll add a star, but not obsessively.

[edit] there are some great ideas for smart playlists in this thread. thanks!

jmkvienna

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2010
Yes, ratings have their place

I have almost 6,000 tracks of music. Yes, of course I like them all or I wouldn't have it on my iPod/iPhone/iTunes library. But for most of us, some songs are more equal than others. I tend to rate at the5, 4, and occasionally 3 star level so the vast majority of my music is not rated at all. Because this creates an instant playlist ("my top rated") if there are times I just want to listen to songs I especially like to hear and not catch the in-between stuff, I can choose that playlist.

And the ratings are not permamently fixed. There are certainly songs I rated highly when I first got iTunes in '04 which I have downgraded or unrated over time. But I find the stars a useful tool.

eRondeau

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2004
Canada's South Coast
I'm shocked that more members here don't take advantage of star ratings! I've got over 7,500 songs and every one is rated when it's imported or purchased. (All have album art and most have lyrics too!) My definitions are identical to yetanotherdave's. It give amazing versatility to Smart Playlists when combined with other criteria. For example five-star songs that haven't been played in a month; two-star songs that have never been played; favourite live concert recordings; best beach party songs; best Halloween songs. It's one thing to have 5,000 songs in there somewhere -- but it's something else to have music that you can easily find, sort, and enjoy. :apple:

mingoglia

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2009
I only use the 4 start and 5 star rating. This of course are my very favorite songs. The other songs if I want to search them out and listen to them I will but typically don't bother rating them.

Mike

steezy1337

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2008
Carlisle, UK
i don't have my own system, i use Autorate because there's a good 12000+ songs on there. i think Autorate calculates it by play + skip frequency, which i reckon gives a good indication of how much i like the songs. i have quite a varied collection of music because i refuse to delete music just because my tastes may be changing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.