Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
I just got a Dual 1.8Ghz with 1.5GB DDR ram,and a 500GB HD in it,it's a sweet computer and quickly became my main system.I now have put a 1TB drive in it for Time Machine and have 4GB of DDR Samsung Performance Ram coming from OWC in the next couple days.

You'll notice a huge difference with the RAM upgrade. When I went from 2gb to 4gb it was like night and day (4 to 6 was only really noticeable when doing graphics work, which I do frequently, but in day to day use it was pretty much the same performance). Adding the SSDs bumped my G5 back up into the top performer slot in my office, I won't be MacPro-ing until probably 2011 now. :)

Quad 2.5 G5 =)

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2009
Why get a G5 (apart from expansion) when you get get a brand new mac mini with applecare. If you look at Geekbench, the 2.53Ghz Mac mini currently shipping performs better than the Quad 2.5Ghz G5 PowerMac (the fastest and most expensive PPC apple shipped).... and you get to run Snow Leopard on the mini and no such luck on the G5.

Check out some YouTube videos of people who dropped SSD drives in their 2009 Mac minis if you think performance is an issue

And my response to the SSD in a mac mini? A pair of SSDs in the powermac's HD slots. It's a screamer now :D

Dr.Pants

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
And my response to the SSD in a mac mini? A pair of SSDs in the powermac's HD slots. It's a screamer now :D

Keep the SATA I bus's limitations in mind (~185 MB/s theoretical). Using a PCI-X HBA, one might be able to avoid that bottleneck... but at the same time, I'm getting my info on it from wikipedia. I could be wrong.

At the same time, G5, you make a good point.

Quad 2.5 G5 =)

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2009
Keep the SATA I bus's limitations in mind (~185 MB/s theoretical). Using a PCI-X HBA, one might be able to avoid that bottleneck... but at the same time, I'm getting my info on it from wikipedia. I could be wrong.

At the same time, G5, you make a good point.

Quite true, I wonder if there is a PCI-E with 6gb/s, or at least 3gb/s bandwidth, as the last gen dual core G5's don't have pci-x slots.

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
The SATA I limitations don't enter into it in a RAID0. The speeds are at (or past) the processor saturation point with a halfway decent SSD anyway.

Plus you can move the SSDs into a new system, which makes them one of the best upgrades for an older Mac around...

NIPRING

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2008
Waukesha WI
The internal BT is different between the DP G5 and the DC G5. On DP its about $30 for the card and its pretty weak without the external antenna (extra $20). The DC is a combo airport/BT card and i think it uses a riser card as well. I 've heard this combination runs about $150 but works great and they eliminated the need for the external antennas of the DP models.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
The internal BT is different between the DP G5 and the DC G5. On DP its about $30 for the card and its pretty weak without the external antenna (extra $20). The DC is a combo airport/BT card and i think it uses a riser card as well. I 've heard this combination runs about $150 but works great and they eliminated the need for the external antennas of the DP models.

The BT of the Dual-core models is also BT 2.1 so you get the faster transfer speeds. Reception of both BT and AP are much better too with the built-in antenna.

The combo card is actually pretty cheap by itself, around $10 new on ebay. It's used in many different Macs. It's the riser card that is hard to find and is what makes it so expensive.

All it is pretty much a PCB with the right connections to accept the combo BT/AP card. I'm sure any cheap Chinese manufacturer could make them for pennies a card if bought in bulk but then you'd have to deal with the copyrights and patents on the board?

neenja

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2008
my g5 actually has bluetooth built in. just sucks cus i cant get my motorola s305 headphones to stay connected.. it works smoothly on my MBP though. the headsets will connect, then disconnect right away :(

jbellrmr

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2009
Fort Collins, CO
PowerMac G5 Still in use

I have a June 2004 model dual processor 2.0 GHz, 5.5 GB ram, ATI X800 256MB video, 160 GB and 320 GB (Time machine) drives. It is still working just great. I do alot of video rendering on it and although it's not fast by MacPro Zeon standards, it is functioning perfectly on Leopard 10.5.8. for video I use QT Pro with MPEG addon, MpegStreamClip, and VLC.

Just bought a MBP, 5,1 refurb from the Apple Store, 2.66, 4GB, Expresscard slot. I'll be acquiring a Matrox MX02 Mini with Max technology soon to pull full HD off my DVR.

Love these Macs!

Navare

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2013
Stoke on Trent
I've just bought my first G5 dual 2.3MHz 512mb ram but stripped apart from that....needs HDD/Optical/more Ram and a half decent graphics card....I gave $60 for it.....

N.

wobegong

May 29, 2012
Used to be my main home machine but alas is now serving time as a bedroom XBMC (v11 Eden) media centre (which it does faultlessly) - Hooked up the TV, no keyboard or mouse and controlled via the XBMC iPad app. Manually hit the power button to Sleep/Wake - Works great.

CptSky

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2013
I've bought a G5 Quad during the autumn. I use it mainly as a development machine for big-endian architectures, but mostly PowerPC. It allow me to build universal app (ppc, pp64, x86, x86_64) for OS X... Anyway, that's a powerful machine and I really like the design ! Hope I will not have problem with the LCS, but, if I do, I'll just buy another quad due to low prices of them :p

The only problem with it... It's compatibility issues with newer version of some applications, and the lack of complete virtualization application for PPC OSes, like VirtualBox or VMware Fusion. Might do a GUI wrapper for QEMU at some point.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
I've bought a G5 Quad during the autumn. I use it mainly as a development machine for big-endian architectures, but mostly PowerPC. It allow me to build universal app (ppc, pp64, x86, x86_64) for OS X... Anyway, that's a powerful machine and I really like the design ! Hope I will not have problem with the LCS, but, if I do, I'll just buy another quad due to low prices of them :p

What apps do you make? I'd love to learn to develop, right now I'm trying to build some applications from source, but I still can't code. FYI, you can install the iPhone SDK on that with Pacifist.

The only problem with it... It's compatibility issues with newer version of some applications, and the lack of complete virtualization application for PPC OSes, like VirtualBox or VMware Fusion. Might do a GUI wrapper for QEMU at some point.

Have you heard of Q? It has a GUI, and is based on QEMU IIRC. The download is not up to date, but justperry tried to build it from source (I know Wildy succeeded, justperry probably did as well).

CptSky

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2013
What apps do you make? I'd love to learn to develop, right now I'm trying to build some applications from source, but I still can't code. FYI, you can install the iPhone SDK on that with Pacifist.

Have you heard of Q? It has a GUI, and is based on QEMU IIRC. The download is not up to date, but justperry tried to build it from source (I know Wildy succeeded, justperry probably did as well).

I've worked a lot on MMORPG private server emulators. My real project is a WinRAR-like archiver for OS X using a custom archive format and common ones. (StuffIt is good, but I don't like the UI) I'll see what I'll do as a school final project too. I've done few games in Java.
(http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-poASa3Edy...1600/Screen+shot+2012-10-29+at+5.40.06+PM.png)

Well, I don't develop for iOS really. To make a GUI, you must do it in Objective-C with Cocoa and I really dislike the language. When Qt5 will be fully ported to iOS, I'll maybe develop for iOS in C++ as I do for OS X. Anyway, at that point, I'll probably have a Mac Pro with my G5 to complete for a powerful x86 computer.

Yes, I've tried Q. Not that bad, but, the app is internally linked to QEMU instead of relying on the CLI. So, well, the QEMU version is really old and to make it work inside Q, it would takes some work. I prefer to do a Qt app that will call QEMU with the necessary commands for all options.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.