Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will Apple announce a new Mac Pro on Monday?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
Junk.

Only one CPU. Looks like a garbage can.

HACKINT0SH HERE I COME!!!!!

:mad::mad::mad:

And I doubt that "dual GPU" will ever be upgradeable.

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
So tiny, people talked about smaller but that is way beyond what we've seen theorized.

Obviously the old Mac Pros just don't sell anymore for them to do something like this.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Well they announced it, i now wish i could still buy the OLD model in the UK so i could get a model thats actually expandable and upgradable,

This one just looks like a Dustbin with a couple of mac minis in it.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Only one CPU. Looks like a garbage can.

HACKINT0SH HERE I COME!!!!!

:mad::mad::mad:

And I doubt that "dual GPU" will ever be upgradeable.

I think apple just tripled PC workstation sales with that announcement, in a years time they will probably use poor sales to finally pull the plug like they did on xserve

td2243

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 14, 2013
Santa Fe, NM
"So cool, we're gonna go a little over the top and give it a grand introduction."

translated: "it ain't ready yet..." :eek:

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
I think apple just tripled PC workstation sales with that announcement, in a years time they will probably use poor sales to finally pull the plug like they did on xserve

I think the problem is poor sales of the Mac Pro in the first place. It obviously wasn't even worth updating in 2012 or continuing European sales. It's just insignificant from a profit perspective, so they have to try something new or can it.

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
I think the problem is poor sales of the Mac Pro in the first place. It obviously wasn't even worth updating in 2012 or continuing European sales. It's just insignificant from a profit perspective, so they have to try something new or can it.

The poor sales rest entirely on Apple's shoulders. They let it languish with no significant updates since 2010. They could have gone with dual Sandy-bridge Xeons but chose not to.

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
The poor sales rest entirely on Apple's shoulders. They let it languish with no significant updates since 2010. They could have gone with dual Sandy-bridge Xeons but chose not to.

Once quad-core iMacs came out sales dropped a lot, you can see it in the average price per desktop sold and a few other numbers that have come out. These systems also last a long time, look at how many still use 2006 models. The Mac Pro as it was is counter-intuitive to Apple's product philosophies going forward. I doubt they sold more than 2,000 units a week in 2010, that's nothing to Apple. It is a change in the market sadly.

----------

Sooooo, I'm stuck again. BOXX or HP?

Plenty of cheaper options with more choice than those too. Have you looked at Maingear, Puget Systems, AVADirect, Thinkmate, Lenovo, Dell also?

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
Seems like Apple created this to kill two birds with one stone:

Bird 1: fulfill Cook's "promise" to professional users that an update was coming

Bird 2: Make said update so unpalatable to professional users that sales will finally justify killing the Mac Pro for GOOD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.