Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
as many of you have already said, the cube could sell rather well if it was re-introduced, provided the necessary changes that killed it the first time through were made. if the cube had not been so damn expensive, i would have bought one instead of my imac. there are many users out there who only need expansion in the area of graphics cards and processors. the imacs/emacs are very limiting (but cheap, or used to be...) and i have no need for any pci cards as long as i have an agp slot and an upgradable cpu daughtercard. if apple were to release a cube that took standard agp cards (none of this filing down the board nonsense) and had a price commensurate with its functionality (why pay the tower price for lots of slots i dont need?) it would sell quite well. there are lots of people out there who only need one internal hard drive, one optical drive, no pci slots, and the ability to upgrade and use the monitor of their choice - slot/tray and fan/fanless being of no concern. this type of machine could easily be priced in the $1100-$1400, which unfortunately conflicts with the emac, meaning that if apple did release such a product, it could not be until they overhaul their entire product line, and seeing as apple has just now completed their "snow" lineup, we have a long time to wait.

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
I would really likr the cube back. If we can have a g5 cube in Jan I would be extremely happy. That way in August of next year, when I get my next computer, they will already be on eBay for cheaper, and I can get a 1 GHz + g4/5 cube-style. That would be tight. As for now, ill just have to wait.... :(. And it probably wont happen. We should start a 'bring back the cube' petition.

SteveG4Cube

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
MontCo., PA
Make your own "new" Cube

Based on the thought that Apple has just introduced an entirely new line of desktop consumer & pro computers, I highly doubt they'll re-introduce anything like the Cube for a long time. But why let this stop you from owning such a great system? If you don't need PCI slots and like the idea of an 8" computer with AGP video, 1.5gb ram capacity,... then pick up a used Cube, throw an 80 or 120gb HD in it, get a Sonnet or Powerlogix 800 or 1ghz upgrade card, find a used NVidia geforce 2MX video card, stuff it with as much ram as you need, put Jaguar on it, and you'll still be cheaper than a new tower.

http://www.cube-zone.com/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.