Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

showtime

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2007
Did you have to reformat the drive before sticking it in or can you just stick it in, boot of the os x cds and just format from there?

heySparky

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2007
Oregon
Did you have to reformat the drive before sticking it in or can you just stick it in, boot of the os x cds and just format from there?
New drives do need to be formatted, and you can do that by booting from the OS X CD (or DVD) and using Disc Utility.

djellison

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2007
Pasadena CA
I learnt the hard way - which wasn't even slightly hard.

I'd had my Macbook for a week - a new switcher... dropped the 160 straight in ( so easy it was funny ) - turned it back on - whacked the cd that came with the machine in the drive - and it booted up into a very OSX looking install package for OSX - said it couldn't put it on that drive - so I just went "hmm - format - partitioning - where's that" - can't remember now but it was SO easy via the disk utility.

Then it installed away - asked if I wanted to copy stuff from an old drive...plugged the Passport drive (with old system disk in it ) in - OSX pulled everything off it - and I was back up and running in an hour.

Took me two days to switch to a new WinTel desktop machine at work. Grrr/

Doug

XStylus

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2007
Has anyone experienced problems with OSX's Sudden Motion Sensor conflicting with the WD drive's own anti-shock function? I've seen a lot of reports of Macbook machines with WD drives causing Kernel Panics whenever moved, but the problem went away when SMS was disabled.

Also, for those of you hunting for the new 250gb passport, I've heard that Best Buy will have them in stock soon for $199. If you decide to go hunting online for a deal, for your reference the wholesale price on them is $140, so try to find a price as close to that as possible.

Oh, and if anyone feels like taking the initiative in posting disassembly instructions and pictures, I'd be most appreciative. I plan to take apart one of these fellas myself. :)

TilJ

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2007
wait, does the western digital passport work with the macbook via 1 usb port without external power cord?? I read it doesnt. Id also be interested in switching my hdd in my laptop too. I wanted to buy an external hdd, but if i could just keep the larger one in my laptop, thatd be much easier

I'm really interested in that too. I bought a passport a few months ago and my Pwoerbook couldn't power it :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.