Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zgh1999

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2007
Why would anyone in their sane mind spend over $6000 on a watch?

Can't your iPhone tell you the time?

Seriously.

If you give me your $6000, I will tell you the time whenever you wish to know the time.

There are much worthy ways to spend one's money, including donating to the needy, the hungry, the poor, the wretched.

Vudoo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
Dallas Metroplex

Seriously.

If you give me your $6000, I will tell you the time whenever you wish to know the time.

There are much worthy ways to spend one's money, including donating to the needy, the hungry, the poor, the wretched.

If you have to ask, then you don't understand.

My iPhone can tell me the date and time, but it's quicker to just look at my wrist. But the truth of the matter is that I appreciate quality and craftsmanship especially when you can pass it down from generation to generation. There's something about a mechanical/automatic time piece that is special. And my Rolex has appreciated in value over the years, something that my iPhone hasn't done.

You can argue that Apple products are the same. Why spend so much money on an Apple PC/laptop when you can get a less expensive Wintel that can do the same job? Why buy a new iPhone when you can get another smart phone for free? The difference in cost can be donated to the needy, the hungry, the poor, the wretched.

iTouch

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007

Seriously.

If you take care of a Rolex, it will last longer than you will. I want to pass my Explorer I to my son. It's something that I wanted for a long time and finally bought one. Sure it's a lot of money. But people spend money on things they like. I spent a couple thousand on my camera, I upgrade all my Macs every year etc. If people are in a position to do so, why not? Let me guess you donate your money and time to feed the hungry and poor, the wretched.

Nejmann

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2010
Denmark (Europe)
If you take care of a Rolex, it will last longer than you will. I want to pass my Explorer I to my son. It's something that I wanted for a long time and finally bought one. Sure it's a lot of money. But people spend money on things they like. I spent a couple thousand on my camera, I upgrade all my Macs every year etc. If people are in a position to do so, why not? Let me guess you donate your money and time to feed the hungry and poor, the wretched.

So true. My dad always said, you can't go no where without a watch.. And that day to day, if i leave my house without a watch i feel naked/something is missing :)

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
If you have to ask, then you don't understand.

I somewhat agree with this. At the very least, you get what you pay for a large percentage of the time. :)

...although, if I had $6k to spend on a watch I'd get a Tag Heuer or a handful of really nice cheaper ones.

jck1634

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2009
Got a thing for white things at the moment. So chose this watch

Photo 19-11-2011 14 26 29.jpg

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
Pre-ordered this

25% off with Macys pre sale going on.

Figured there was a thread like this. Wondered what others wore.

As far as the "you don't understand," "pass on to kids," etc.. Depends on what you mean by begin in a position to do so. In my cut down opinion. If you paid cash, don't have debt, can lose/break it and replace without blinking, fine. Some people confuse being able to purchase with being able to afford. My kids are still very young, but I'm more concerned on passing down principles and values than items. Do what makes you happy though.

CalWizrd

Suspended
Jun 21, 2011
NYC/Raleigh, NC

Seriously.

When one works hard to earn their income, it is up to the individual to determine worthy ways to spend money.

iaymnu

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCE0NwtLEV8&sns=em

Seriously.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCE0NwtLEV8&sns=em

Some people are obsessed with internals of computers. Some are obsessed with the movements of a mechanical watch.

Rolex is a tool watch There are other brands that can show status.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
I agree 100%, here are my Seiko watches. They didn't cost nearly as much as a rolex, but they are my style and I love seiko movement. I usually wear the one in the middle, but just broke my watch band, should be getting a new one in the mail soon. The others are depending on what I am wearing and my mood.

seiko1.jpg

seiko201.jpg

When one works hard to earn their income, it is up to the individual to determine worthy ways to spend money.

Last edited:

m3coolpix

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2007
Citizen BL5250-02L & Raymond Weil W1

Just got the Citizen today for daily wear (after a 4 year hiatus without any). I don't know if I could do it any better justice than this stock photo....loving it so far.

I used to be a watch hound....used my iPhone for the past 4 years. I'm going to start having them all refurbished as I can. First is a Raymond Weil W1 chronograph that is below. Timekeeping on it works, but the chronograph is not responding.

Attachments

• 81NLOtSwqBL._AA1500_.jpg
    81NLOtSwqBL._AA1500_.jpg
    268.5 KB · Views: 162
  • img0684p.jpg
    img0684p.jpg
    591.1 KB · Views: 419

McFly682

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2011
West Virginia
Citizen Eco-Drive Skyhawk and Blue Thunder Titan (MBM Traser).

The Citizen is a great watch. Looks classy yet functional and takes a pretty good beating. The Titan is made by MBM Traser and is one of a very few blue tritium watches. Titanium case with carbon fiber bezel and 16 tritium gas tubes (14 blue, 1 orange and 1 green). Notice the radioactive symbol on the dial, lol. Yes, its a radioactive gas, but no more potent than than the night sights on your firearm or your house fire detector. I got a nice wide leather band to go with it on eBay.

6397118621_2df0d888d7_b.jpg

6397119883_08da7c2d3d_z.jpg
6397120333_9b906fc7fa_z.jpg

m3coolpix

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2007
For the price, I have been pleasantly surprised by the Citizen watches. It's just a shame that in the States, many don't come with Sapphire.:(

I've always liked the Citizen chronographs. Had one a long time ago that unfortunately is at the bottom of a local lake (forgot to take it off while windsurfing).

I agree a bit on the sapphire. But, I liked it too much! :eek: :)

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
Citizen. My first Chronograph; I've had it for several years, and it's never let me down. I have no clue how accurate it is, but I've never been late ;) ONly like $120 or something I think

citizenchrono.jpg

Anyone know how Kenneth Cole automatic or Ruhla Gardé watches are?

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
Hey guys,

I'm looking into getting a Fossil watch for Christmas, but i'm stuck between two. I really like them both, but I just wanted to get some opinions on them from others. Even better if you own one of these watches. Thanks!
FS4631_main.jpeg

FS4662_main.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.