Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you have an iPhone 12 or iPhone 12 Pro or 12 pro max and upgrading to 14 or 14 pro/max this year?

• Total voters

StrollerEd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2011
Scotland
"I don't plan to upgrade" would help and would reflect some of the the comments made on the thread.

But you are correct, such opt-in polls do have an inevitable (self-)selection bias.

Reactions: Barbareren

MPclk2006

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2013
Texas
Just wondering from a year to year contract basis who currently has an iPhone 12 or iPhone 12 Pro plans to upgrade to iPhone 14 or IPhone 14 pro / pro max this year .
I plan to upgrade from iPhone 12 to iPhone 14 pro max on contract from Rogers , my Canadian provider.
I do try and upgrade every 2 years due to savings I receive vs. Paying the outstanding balance on my current phone .
Interesting to hear what your doing with upgrades ….
I’m upgrading from 12 mini to 14 pro or pro max.

bigscotal

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2008
UK
Will be going from my 12 Pro Max to a 14 Pro Max hopefully.

Have saved the money to buy outright, and to be honest, I just don't want to wait another whole year to have a new handset to play with. :)

Reactions: N1cBr

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I think I'll probably get a 14 Pro this year to replace my 12 pro. The pro-motion, always on display and better cameras are enough of an upgrade for me. I was hoping the 14 pro would get the rumored satellite connection for emergency texts/calls but that rumor seems to have faded.

Reactions: N1cBr and daryl1965

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
I’ve made the decision to stick with my 12 Pro and am getting a new battery today. I like everything about the 12 Pro except for the battery which has been crap since the beginning. Dropped to 85% health in the first year but miraculously stayed at that level after the last iOS update. However, I can no longer make it through the day without recharging. So I’ll be paying the out of warranty cost to get a new battery.

Maybe next year for a new phone.
So I'm not the only one seeing the battery health drop fast enough the first year to think they would get a "free" replacement under AC? Down to 89%. Then has stayed there since last fall. Luckily, I have a charging pad at work, I plug it in in the car, so I'm fine with the battery. And for vacations I have the magsafe battery.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
So I'm not the only one seeing the battery health drop fast enough the first year to think they would get a "free" replacement under AC? Down to 89%. Then has stayed there since last fall. Luckily, I have a charging pad at work, I plug it in in the car, so I'm fine with the battery. And for vacations I have the magsafe battery.
I went to Apple to get a new battery on Monday. They scratched my phone in the process and they ended up giving me a new phone.

PegasusTenma

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2014
I noticed my 12 doesn't have the same battery life it used to have, so I am thinking of maybe upgrading to the 14 Pro Max, but depends at what price it comes out.

daryl1965

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2018
Nova Scotia, Canada
I noticed my 12 doesn't have the same battery life it used to have, so I am thinking of maybe upgrading to the 14 Pro Max, but depends at what price it comes out.
I have noticed since upgrading my iPhone every 2 years since 2014 , that batteries due degrade over time due to normal wear and tear also especially if the cycle count is higher than normally use . Screen brightness and optimized battery charging turned off can also reduce the life of your battery .

StrollerEd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2011
Scotland
Having given the iP14 a pass, my iP12P is now fully paid for (at what must rate as a good discount over the 24 months, especially given inflation). I do still occasionally wonder how much better the iP14 would be, both in terms of battery life and photographic capabilities.

(I'm now back down to a SIM-only small data allowance contract.)

I'll be waiting on the release of the iP15 before taking any decisions as battery health on the iP12P is still 86% and the installation of iOS 16.2 went OK. Then it all depends upon the specs, price and 24 month deals for the iP15. There are limits to what I need - and even want - from those specs for an iPhone, and the price is almost bound to be high.

If the price & therefore vfm is right in 2023 after the release of the iP15,I might even get me an iP14P ;)

PS When a friend was needing to upgrade from a very much older small form iPhone - it was an iP6, so a much needed upgrade - I recommended the iP13 and iP13mini as from a vfm standpoint. Thus far, the feedback had been positive on that buy.

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
At this rate, I might just wait. My iPhone 12 Pro Max is paid off. So, there's that...

tivoman

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2013
No, since it’s not a major upgrade from the 12PM and just got the iP13 mini about 8 months ago. Will see what the iP15 will offer next year.

vince22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2013
i'm holding off my iPhone 12 PM for iPhone 15 PM for myself, already traded all my family iPhone XR's to iPhone 14 Pro, iPhone Pro Max and iPhone 14 Plus, hopefully it will have Sony's newest "state of the art" image sensors and USB-C charging port.

TheMasterTerrarian

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2022
I’m going to keep my 12 Pro Max until there are new features that I will actually use, the 120hz refresh rate seems nice but it’s not a game changer. There are rumors that the iPhone 15 will have dynamic island and 120hz, that happens I might upgrade.

Apples n' Stone

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2015
Maidstone, U.K
I ultimately chose to replace the battery in my 12 pro. And wow. Whilst the battery life (Hours) is not extraordinary (Traditional 1 day per charge), we are four months in now and it has 100% health. Out of the box my original battery was on 98, and this new one feels like it lasts longer than my original ever did. Perhaps they are replacing them with the superior 13 batteries?

Anyway, my point is that if you're still holding on to a 12 series that has poor battery life; but want to wait before upgrading it, consider a battery replacement as they seem to be better quality now than the original ones.

Reactions: TheMasterTerrarian
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.