Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gunderscorewil

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2011
Atlanta
My $.02 as someone who has mainly (and still to this day) used Windows machines.

"Comparing"
Its the same thing that I tell people when they compare cellular devices, such as iPhone vs Android-of-the-Week vs N9 vs WP7 vs Blackberry----> Raw specs mean nothing when you are comparing different Operating Systems. Example: iPhone4 runs circles around most contemporary Android phones and it has half the RAM. How is that possible? iOS doesnt need as much RAM as Android.

The same can be said of Desktop OSes. What Im saying is dont get hung up with "I can build a system for xOS with the same 'numbers' Apple-Product Y for $Z less. Its not about the numbers in their raw form. Its about how those numbers translate into performance on the machine and OS.

Windows Machines
The "problem" with windows machines is again the same "problem" with Android Devices; inconsistency between the various devices. Apple shows that it really makes a difference when you have vertical integration. Their electronics, from iPods to iMacs, are largely at harmony between the hardware and the software. You just dont get that with Windows.

In my household we have 3 windows computers and 1 Macbook Pro. The MBP is the 2nd oldest (after my HP d530) and is the only one that works right each time we use it. The newest is my step moms HP Notebook (dv6 + Win7). The only thing that it does quickly is boot to the login screen. After that its SLOW! The 3rd Windows is an Acer notebook from 2007 and its actually slower than my d530! Basically, all 3 of them had problems from day one!

Out of the "lower-end" of windows laptops Toshiba and Gateway have been the best for smooth operation that I have experienced. However neither have lasted very long in my family.

Admittedly, I think Sony makes some pretty decent hardware and so do Asus and Lenovo. Dell and HP (which are unfortunately the ones I see most) make some very subpar consumer systems.

Apple's "Advantage"
As I previously stated, the vertical integration is the reason that Apple is so successful as far as satisfaction and experience. The machine is matched to the os and vice versa. That is also why Mac-whatevers are able to chug along happily after years and years of use. They dont spend as much time trying to make the software and hardware mesh, they already do!

Add to that the fact that their are fundamentally NO viruses for MacOSX and you have a good recipe for success.

Comments on the Thread
I guess I really only skimmed the thread. I saw it go from a somewhat single-minded OP, to a more factual discussion, to a rampage of "YOU APPLE PEOPLE ARE BLIND TO THE TRUTH" vs "you might have a point, but..." and land at a discussion of which platform had the better applications.

Some of it is very biased and almost sickening. The worst were the comments that outright said that iTunes sucks. Now mind you, iTunes does NOT run well on my d530 but its XPSP3 + 1.36GB RAM + Pentium 4 + a 40GB HD that is 99% full on any given day. However, it does its job way better than any current version of WMP has on any machine I have used. iTunes is darn good for a free piece of software and is my music agent of choice! I used it when I had an iPhone, conitnued to use it during the 1 year period that I was using other devices and still use it today! And yes this is a subjective analysis but darn! I just dont see how one can truthfully say that WMP handles its business better than iTunes.

In a Nutshell
-There is NO piece of technology that is perfect
-Apple gets to charge more because, honestly their products are worth more.
-"Hardware specs" dont really matter when making comparison between fundamentally different OSes

Dane D.

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2004
ohio
As a photographer, I have seen and talked to many others in my field. The one thing that stands out, true photographers can use any camera, from point and shoot to digital. But, many times you run into a person who is "equipment happy," a person that cares more about hardware and specs than work produced. Specs mean nothing, I could shoot a picture using a disposal film camera that would be better than some guy lugging 20 lbs. of camera equipment. It all comes down to how you use the tool you have, not the specs.

RiverFlame

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2013
I do use mac, and prefer it, but I don't like the argument that you have to "factor in" the cost of iLife into a PC. In the past 2 years of having a macbook I use iTunes and iPhoto regularly, but thats it. Garageband and iMovie maybe a few times, and iWeb never. Most people don't need to be making their own music or making their own videos. For many it's just a novelty.

Maybe so, but a large part of apple's user base are artists (Possibly even the majority).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.