Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

klamse25

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
I honestly don't see what's so revolutionary about it.
What features could they possibly add that make it so much better than the old Apple TV?

spblat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
Price point is it. For $99 I'll move the Mac Mini (running Plex) out of the home theater and back to my desk.

spblat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
it will never be called "iTV" because thats my local station here in the uk, its been going since 1955 www.itv.com

There have been stories about that. IIRC, ITV made Apple use the "Apple TV" name way back when and is hopping mad about rumors of a name change in 2010.

Uabcar

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2009
I'd bet regardless of it's real name, if it's running af lavor of iOS, it will almost certainly be refered to as iTV by many - just as many/most refer to the iPod Touch as 'iTouch'

Meyvn

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2005
I'd bet regardless of it's real name, if it's running af lavor of iOS, it will almost certainly be refered to as iTV by many - just as many/most refer to the iPod Touch as 'iTouch'

Even though "iTouch" sounds stupid.

Anyway, I think the big deal with the changes is what everyone has been saying: the apps. You'll have at the very least Netflix and Hulu at your fingertips for your trouble. That already makes it a better purchase than a Roku box. But then to top that off, it'll be a host of other things, not the least of which is a gaming console. The Wii moved a ton of units by virtue of a lower price point + more casual appeal. Who's to say this won't sell even more, considering the starting price?

And c'mon, the previous AppleTV was completely underwhelming, never did anything particularly unique or interesting.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Well, no one knows what it will be but the interest, IMO, is that many would love to dump their cable TV monthly bill. We're hoping a new iTV will makes this more of a reality.

onetoescape

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2010
The reason I am so interested in it is so I can put it in the kids bedrooms as DVDS don't last to long with my kids. The price point is very good and very tempting. If it comes in around that price point with the ability to have multiple boxes around the house I am in and will be in a big way.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
The reason I'm interested is that we may finally be getting some updated hardware in what could be a terrific device (greater than the current version).

I'm so hoping that Apple will use 1080p hardware. If so, that would be enough for me.

The rumors imply that it will be at least a bit more open than :apple:TV because it will have the option of third party apps. A lot can be done by third parties, which were sorely missed- other than a few hacks- on the current :apple:TV.

If Apple has chosen to open up the software side, maybe- just maybe- they'll leave a little room for hardware add-on options too, perhaps through a normal USB port or two. If so, that means companies like Elgato could bring some functionality through a USB attachment plus app that are desired by some people.

Some argue there's no way Apple would open it up that way, but all the other iDevices have add-on hardware options that can work with third party software apps... so why not this thing too?

Thus, my hopes favor those three things: 1080p (whether there's any 1080p content in iTunes or not, whether your broadband pipe is big enough or not, whether you think "720p is good enough" or not, etc), apps, and normal USB port or two. I'd pay more than $99 for that one- even a lot more- as I know the third parties would fill in any desirable gaps selectively left out by Apple.

Steve Jobs=God

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2007
I don't understand why people are obsessed with this new iTV/AppleTv having apps, what is peoples obsessions with everything Apple having to have an App Store? if you want to download Apps use your iPhone or iPod Touch or iPad.

Personally i think App's on a TV device is the most stupid idea ever

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Seems to me its pretty likely that the hardware would support 1080p, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were at least initially limited in software. Much like 720p + AC3 Dolby Digital instamagically became possible with ATV Take 2 which was only a software update with the same hardware.

graystone

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2008
"I don't understand why people are obsessed with this new iTV/AppleTv having apps, what is peoples obsessions with everything Apple having to have an App Store? if you want to download Apps use your iPhone or iPod Touch or iPad.

Personally i think App's on a TV device is the most stupid idea ever"

"Most stupid idea ever?" Wow, what a breathtaking lack of imagination. Apps means things like Netflix, Hulu, Boxee, CBS, MLB, and in the future, who knows? ESPN, NFL, and the potential ability to stream live TV? "Most stupid idea ever?" Sheesh. Open your eyes and see the potential. Apps means opening up your TV to all manner of video sources, and possibly cutting the cable ties (and saving $50-$100 a month). So no, it's not a stupid idea.

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
99c TV show rentals, plus apps (that will provide access to streaming live sports) will make this a truly viable alternative to cable/satellite. I watch most shows off my DVR anyway, so that I can skip the commercials, so having them load automatically into iTunes is just as good.

The only thing I can see that I'll be missing, if "iTV" has what it's rumoured to have, will be access to live soccer.

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
I don't understand why people are obsessed with this new iTV/AppleTv having apps, what is peoples obsessions with everything Apple having to have an App Store? if you want to download Apps use your iPhone or iPod Touch or iPad.

Personally i think App's on a TV device is the most stupid idea ever

MLB has an app to watch live baseball. That cuts one of my tether's to cable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.