Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I had iPhone 4 before. When the iPhone 4 came out I thought "WOW". I really liked that design. I knew iOS before because I had an iPod Touch. So far so good.

Then the iPhone 5 came out and you couldn't get your hands on it for a few weeks. When I finally tried it in the shop I stopped after 20 Seconds as it was exactly the same as the iPhone 4.

Meanwhile on an experimental phone (HD2) I tried Android (2.?) - and didn't liked it much. I installed then WM7 - which is quite nice.

Anyway, as my iPhone 4 got older and slower I bought a Nexus 5 (untested as it wasn't available in stores). And boy, that Android 4.4 is really good. There isn't a single iOS function I miss. Quite the opposite, Android apps are just more functional due to less restrictions. I still have the old iPhone 4 which I use while travelling as 2nd phone. A good reminder how bad iOS is.

Now the iPhone 6 is out and I don't really bother to try.

BTW, yesterday I played around with Google Cardboard - another thing iPhone can't do - the new iPhone has NFS - but it's not for general use. Keep your phone then.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.samples.apps.cardboarddemo

The i6 had 30,000,000 pre orders. Do you think you will be missed?

flameproof

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2011

It's good to be not brainwashed by Apple. I look at technology and how it works for me. But as somebody said before, iOS is good for the very young and the very old. And I guess those that don't care about technology and just use their phones for calls (yes, phones still can do that!), email and a little browsing. That's probably >90% of all phone users.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012

Out of those 20mil are dubiously from China where 1 scalper may place 10000 pre orders in hope upping his chances to get a few phones to resell at a huge profit margin.

flameproof

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2011
Out of those 20mil are dubiously from China where 1 scalper may place 10000 pre orders in hope upping his chances to get a few phones to resell at a huge profit margin.

There might be some truth in it.....

Attachments

• 2014-10-01 16.42.47.jpg
    2014-10-01 16.42.47.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 68
  • 2014-10-01 16.43.07.jpg
    2014-10-01 16.43.07.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 70
  • 2014-10-01 16.43.09.jpg
    2014-10-01 16.43.09.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 73
  • 2014-10-01 16.43.20.jpg
    2014-10-01 16.43.20.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 77
  • 2014-10-01 16.42.06.jpg
    2014-10-01 16.42.06.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 91

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
It's good to be not brainwashed by Apple. I look at technology and how it works for me. But as somebody said before, iOS is good for the very young and the very old. And I guess those that don't care about technology and just use their phones for calls (yes, phones still can do that!), email and a little browsing. That's probably >90% of all phone users.

And those who need sophisticated, bulletproof IT technology. And those who don't want to fiddle with their phones. And those who want things to just work.

flameproof

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2011
And those who need sophisticated, bulletproof IT technology. And those who don't want to fiddle with their phones. And those who want things to just work.

As we all know, the just work is more of a joke and never really happened. Bulletproof.... well.

They all have their limitations. iOS has just too many for me. IMHO Apple is lots of hype and hot air and they try (successfully) to sell their limits as strong points. NFS is a very good example. Wireless charging still isn't there.

Change a MP3 to a ringtone in iOS and Android and you get the idea. But right, that's fiddling.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand

Umm no.

I use a lot of apps. Like a LOT of apps. Thinking iOS is for average consumers and idiots is just flat out lying and insulting.

----------

As we all know, the just work is more of a joke and never really happened. Bulletproof.... well.

They all have their limitations. iOS has just too many for me. IMHO Apple is lots of hype and hot air and they try (successfully) to sell their limits as strong points. NFS is a very good example. Wireless charging still isn't there.

Change a MP3 to a ringtone in iOS and Android and you get the idea. But right, that's fiddling.

If memory serves me correctly, iOS has simplified that with iOS 7.

Also to me, from the app extensibility and third party keyboards and in general just iOS 8, shows a lot of opening up.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
To add to above, I'm very happy they're finally opening up. Swype is like the bread to my butter. I gave up my jailbreak for it!

I'm so not an average consumer but I love my 5c anyways.

Love my Note 3 too, just not so much as an actual phone.

I feel like things are generally pretty solid in iOS. Even when they aren't, they release an update pretty quickly to solve the discrepancies.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
To add to above, I'm very happy they're finally opening up. Swype is like the bread to my butter. I gave up my jailbreak for it!

I'm so not an average consumer but I love my 5c anyways.

Love my Note 3 too, just not so much as an actual phone.

I feel like things are generally pretty solid in iOS. Even when they aren't, they release an update pretty quickly to solve the discrepancies.

I feel as if the person I quoted simply doesn't understand that iOS is not only for dumb people or those that don't care for technology.

I'm one tech nerd who prefers iOS so that's living proof that goes against his generalisation.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
I feel as if the person I quoted simply doesn't understand that iOS is not only for dumb people or those that don't care for technology.

I'm one tech nerd who prefers iOS so that's living proof that goes against his generalisation.

We're like two peas... Uh. How does that saying go?

Never mind.

We're like two lines of corresponding and complementing code.

vgamedude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2013
It makes perfect sense. He says **** like the iPad Air is laggy and things like how the Note 4 is the best smartphone etc... that is pure fanboyism.

Not if it's true. I can't say whether or not the note 4 lags but his experiences could indeed be that the ios devices do lag and his note doesn't. You need to learn what words mean before you spew them out.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
Not if it's true. I can't say whether or not the note 4 lags but his experiences could indeed be that the ios devices do lag and his note doesn't. You need to learn what words mean before you spew them out.

:rolleyes:

Anyone that has bothered to read this posting history knows he is a fanboy.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
Well, I didn't read his post history, so you may be right. I'm just addressing the posts in this thread.

That's fair enough.

My post was based off not very...pleseant discussions with him. I tried reasoning with him, but with him it would just be equally productive bashing your head against a brick wall.

vgamedude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2013
That's fair enough.

My post was based off not very...pleseant discussions with him. I tried reasoning with him, but with him it would just be equally productive bashing your head against a brick wall.

I see. Thanks for clarifying, apologies if I came off too unpleasant.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

About the only thing I agree with is the MP3 ringtone. I do agree IOS has its limitations, limitations I don't care about. Hype and hot air? No sir. You can try to say Apple has hypnotized the masses or understand that people buy into their products because they like them.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
For as long as I can remember I have had some sort of Apple product, whether that be iPod, or MacBook or iPhone. Then I discovered the Galaxy Note 4. I didn't want to admit it, but I thought "Wow, this is really better than iOS". I also started to realize how much I hated the ugly bezels on iPhone and iOS 7 was simply unusable, the user experience no longer was better on iOS.

Then, another thing happened. I went to Best Buy and triied the Galaxy Tab/NotePRO lineup. And I've wanted the NotePRO 12.2 ever since, and now I'm going to try selling my iPad to attempt to get it. I've also recently started learning various programming languages so the ability to actually code for a mobile OS without buying an overpriced and walled Mac is awesome.

But my main reasons for switching to Android:
Customizability. Just changing backgrounds and app orientation isn't good enough for me.
Open Source. If I'm going to build apps, I want to be able to use any computer I want, not a specialized one.
Features. Features such as widgets (in how I feel is the right way), larger screens, custom launchers/keyboards/ROMs and removable batteries are going to really help improve my smartphone and tablet experience.
Fragmentation. iOS is simply unusable now because of fragmentation. Apple turned an amazing product into their own "toxic hellstew" Android is really just "free will" at this point. Even if my phone doesn't get the newest software, I have the choice to slap on a new launcher, theme and/or keyboard and call it a "software update".
Standard Connectors. This is technically a feature, but it deserves a bullet point of its own. By using microUSB, I can almost guarantee that I'll be able to use my current cords for at least 10 years with pretty much any other phone, casual camera, hard drive, computer, flash drive or portable battery. This is amazing, and I can't believe Apple hasn't changed their charger standard yet.

I figure that I might as well give my opinions on all mobile platforms for a negligible reason that may or may not actually add to the value of this post.

iOS:
iOS is still what I'd recommend for kids and old people. It's a simple user experience with really no good value. The design, while basically being a grid, is minimalistic, secure, easy-to-use and plain. This is sufficient for many people, I just happen to not be in that group.

Android:
Android is a great OS, but it can be complicated for some non-tech-savvy users, which is what I see with a lot of Apple users. I'd recommend it to anyone who wants something more than iOS, and/or someone with a more artistic flair and a need for customizability. And with Android Lollipop, I don't think there's ever a reason to go back.
Great post.

I'm not even an app developer or super tech savvy. I agree and believe iOS is great for kids and old people. And of course the many people in-between that doesn't want change. I personally find it BORING. The most impressive iPhone I ever saw was some lady in a train carrying a gold-plated 5s with an expensive looking case to match it.

Every time I look around, there are many, many phones that catches my eye which aren't iPhones. Huawei Ascend P7, Asus Zenfone 5, and Sony Xperia anything. And they have nice homescreens to match it.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Great post.

I'm not even an app developer or super tech savvy. I agree and believe iOS is great for kids and old people. And of course the many people in-between that doesn't want change. I personally find it BORING. The most impressive iPhone I ever saw was some lady in a train carrying a gold-plated 5s with an expensive looking case to match it.

Every time I look around, there are many, many phones that catches my eye which aren't iPhones. Huawei Ascend P7, Asus Zenfone 5, and Sony Xperia anything. And they have nice homescreens to match it.

You consider that a great post? It's one of the most uniformed posts I've read in a long time. Kids and old people? Missed a few valuable segments like government and Fortune 500 companies.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
You consider that a great post? It's one of the most uniformed posts I've read in a long time. Kids and old people? Missed a few valuable segments like government and Fortune 500 companies.

Yep. Can't believe he thought it was a "great" post.

flameproof

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2011
I use a lot of apps. Like a LOT of apps.

Well, when it comes to apps then most are the same for iOS or Android. And most apps I don't care about much. That iOS apps are generally better is a myth, I had plenty of apps that I deleted after 30 Seconds. Not that I never deleted any Android app though. Plenty of bad design on both sides.

One app I do care about is Dropbox. And for me to be able to edit txt files is a huge plus.

Another app that I love and was totally new to me on Android was KEEP (from google). As far as I know it's not available on iOS at all.

That are the apps I use most, hence it would be hard to move back to iOS.

Another thing I don't like is the Apple trend to daemonize other companies. Samsung I don't care about, but limiting google is a bad and counterproductive idea.

Same for their strong anti-open-source stance.

Anyway, I seriously hope that iOS will get a lot better, so Android keeps getting better too. So I really wish iOS to catch up.

PS: Another strong anti iPhone point for me the price. (and I mean just iPhones, for iPads the Samsung price range is similar.)

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
I used to think that but now i'm not really sure. Apple fanboys (hardcore ones) are usually just ignorant about the current status of Android.

Android fans full-on hate Apple users or at least view them with severe disdain and attack them accordingly. They go after the platform less and the users more.

I don't think it's changed quite yet. The young ones especially think they are the chosen ones because they have an apple product and start to consider apple a member of the family, get offended ar any mention of a problem. I used to own android and I have never seen people offended on those forums when one mentions the slightest problem with either the product or company. My experience was that they tended to try and figure out the problem, not call people troll's for even bringing them up.

It's kind of a "this is an apple forum so you can only talk about how much you praise them" attitude among many. Granted, it's nowhere near all apple owners just the most vocal.

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
I own an iphone and apple products, but I will be the first to say apple fanboy's are far worse than any others.
First post and OP feels the need to girly slap,IOS users Lame but tame. Try reading comments on Phone Arena or many other websites that are minimally monitored. Waste of time reading fanboy threads about anything from dishwashers to baby strollers, oh and phones also��

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.