Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zaap

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Couldn't agree more with the OP sentiment.

In my job as an editor, we're still plugging away on Final Cut 7/Studio 3, clinging to licences like gold. I simply couldn't do my job as well with iMovieX as its still known- it doesn't play well with other parts of the production line like outputting ompatible files for AVID and ProTools.

Apple simply doesnt care; they clearly would rather cater to the YouTube market than professional production.

People that say things like "So just use Adobe Premiere etc etc..." don't quite get what that means. Sure thing, I know of productions that have switched to Adobe. But here's the thing; doing so left no compelling reason for them to stay with the Mac. At the time, they were still waiting for a MacPro refresh. Apple dragged its feet with that too, so.... onward to PCs.

I know people want to insist using a soils workstation PC is some terrible experience, but actually you're wrong. Cheap PCs can suck, sure. But a decently built PC with quality hardware that still costs less than a top line Mac is not a bad way to go for many.

Now me personally, I love the Mac and OSX. I've been lucky that my company has been happily stuck in a time warp and wants to keep using FCP7 for as long as we can get away with it. But other productions are at, or have already reached a crossroads: stay with the Mac for its benefits that creative types like, but put up with Apple not giving a flip and dumbing down its Pro apps... or move on to PCs and PC software and give up what many love about OSX, but gain infinite hardware choice, lower upfront costs, and the same software that Apple themselves is pushing you over to anyway.

My opinion: Apple shouldn't lose its pro users. It should turn this around on the software end. Revamp/upgrade the Pro apps they gutted to be the best tools creative industiries could hope for... keep the consumer stuff (iMovie, etc) for consumers. Creative industires that love Macs WILL gladly pony up for the Mac hardware if the software maintains an edge. If the software vision is "just use Adobe..." then it could be paired with "and drop the Mac while we're at it."

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
Improving iPhoto is great, my issue is why eliminate Aperture? What's next, Logic & FCP?

Why keep Aperture and split development when the New Photos has a full proper plug in system that allows any 'Photo' app installed to do non-destructive edits?

Build your tool kit how you want it not how Apple or others engineers say you should have it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.