Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rhwjr

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2013
Obviously flawed

I have several charger cords that are more than ten years old and are still like new. The cords that came with our two iphone 4s and my sister-in-laws all frayed at the junction of the cord with the Apple plug within a year. The older cords show absolutely no similar wear, so it is obviously not our fault. Apple apparently switched to a new cheaper provider. Not the quality I would expect from Apple.

Larry-K

macrumors 68000
Jun 28, 2011
I've owned around 20 Apple Chargers, starting with my Old Pismo Powerbook.

They all still work, don't know what you guys are doing (but two of the Apple Laptops died).

webcity

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2011
United Kingdom
Apple chargers are shocking. I can't see many companies getting away with charging such high prices for a charger cable, but there's little option.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Apple chargers are shocking. I can't see many companies getting away with charging such high prices for a charger cable, but there's little option.

It's exactly the opposite. Apple chargers are _not_ shocking. You can buy very cheap chargers that have _literally_ shocked the life out of some unfortunate people.

MiniMoke

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2009
Black River, Mauritius
MacBook Pro 17" 2007 - charger OK
MacBook 13" 2007 - charger OK
A brace of iPhones since the 3GS - never a failing charger, but several cables broke

No problem with Apple chargers

ohbrilliance

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Reading this thread makes me think of my four year-old son. Me: "I have a headache", him: "I don't!". That's nice to know, but not very helpful.

We've had three chargers go in the last six years. One just died, I assume something in the block itself. The other two had cables that came apart near the magsafe connector. We are not rough with the chargers, but do use them a lot, moving them from room to room.

Failing chargers is only part of the problem though. The real problem is that the cable between the charger and the magsafe adaptor is not replaceable. It irks me that you have to spend so much money to replace an entire charger, due to what's pretty much a consumable that should be repleable on its own.

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
Fix to LED light issues and wires showing

Apple charges are strong and dont easilly break. Here is what is happening:

-When disconnecting, you have to hold the plug, not the cable. People who have the wire showing are pulling the connector by the cable and thats mishandling of the charger.

-The LED light stps working/charging because after a power surge, the charger disarms itself, I dunno why it happens but apparently its a safety issue present in most advanced power supplys. For it to cames back to normal, you have to disconnect the charger from both the Mac AND THE POWER OUTLET, leaving completly free for 5 minutes. After this time, the charger goes back to normal

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
First, credit where credit is due: Electrically, Apple's chargers are of very high quality. They are efficient, electrically quiet and very safe. By comparison, cheap knock-off chargers can be very hazardous, and in fact people have been killed by them. So Apple deserves some credit for their electrical design and componentry.

Their cables... not so much. Apple's inattention to strain relief is distressing. The cables WILL break where the soft cable enters the more-or-less rigid strain relief. It's a question of when, not if. I've never seen a different failure of an Apple charger. And having the cables on their Macbook Air and Pro power supplies be non-replaceable is just indefensible and about as un-green as it gets.

And it's not just Apple. The Lightning cables I just purchased from Monoprice have even worse strain-relief design flaws, exacerbated by very inflexible wires that twist and kink internally-- a surprising disappointment from what is ordinarily a very good alternate source for such things. And my old Lenovo laptop chargers, with their much more elaborate strain reliefs, also had their cables break over time despite my careful handling, and they were also non-replaceable.

Time for Apple to apply some leadership, IMHO, and innovate in the area of cable strain relief and replaceability. The MagSafe adaptors were a brilliant innovation that has saved the lives of countless Macbook Pros... more, please.

Having said all that, there are things you can do to extend the life of the cable of your charger/cable, whether it's for a Mac or for an iOS device or for some other brand.

o Never tug on a wire. Grip the connector. This goes for the mains cable too.

o Be careful how you wrap the cables when tucking the charger into your briefcase. Loop the cable generously so there are no side forces on the cable as it enters the strain relief.

o Stow the charger in a different compartment from the one you slide your laptop or iPad into!

o Give the cables a good look every once in a while. If any cable starts to show signs of fraying, replace it straightaway. Fraying is a fire hazard. Voice of experience here: one my laptop charger cables spat sparks after fraying-- had it been lying on a carpet, a fire would have resulted.

o IIRC, the charger is covered under AppleCare. Another good reason to spring for that option, then. Because despite all precautions it will be a matter of when, not if, the cable breaks.

----------

Actually their chargers cost about what other first-party manufacturers charge, maybe even less. Samsung's cube-shaped phone chargers on their website are actually priced higher than the equivalent iPhone charger that they strongly resemble (big surprise there, eh? :rolleyes:). Replacement Lenovo chargers for my old Lenovo laptops actually cost about 40% more than the chargers for my Macbook Pros.

And there are options. I just purchased a bunch of Lightning cables from Monoprice. Apple-certified, in fact. I'm not terribly satisfied with the quality, though (see my immediately preceding post on this thread). Amazon is another high-rated alternative to the Apple-branded iOS cables. I'm not aware of a third-party MagSafe-equipped charger I could recommend, though.

Just, avoid the no-name bargain-bin cables and chargers. Those can be very, very hazardous due to poor design and construction. AC mains power is not to be trifled with, and safety provisions are not the place to cut corners.

OnceYouGoMac

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2012
In front of my Mac
I've had a few chargers break in recent times. My Macbook Air (2012) charger broke in February. Cost me €80 to replace it. One of my iPod chargers broke last Thursday and cost me another €20 to replace. :( My friend's iPhone charger broke yesterday and someone else's Mac charger broke again recently. This is getting ridiculous :mad: I've spent €100 in chargers over the past few weeks. The strange thing is that my 2010 Macbook Pro still has the original charger. I don't know why they're all breaking at the moment Something very mysterious is going on...

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Two years have passed since this thread started. All my chargers from back then are still working (1-MBP, 1-MB, 1-MBA, 1-iPad, plus various USB-iDevice cords). IMHO it's just a matter of treating them right (never pull on a cord, for instance).

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
Two years have passed since this thread started. All my chargers from back then are still working (1-MBP, 1-MB, 1-MBA, 1-iPad, plus various USB-iDevice cords). IMHO it's just a matter of treating them right (never pull on a cord, for instance).

I'm very careful with my iPhone and iPad to use the connector as it should be used - i.e. do not yank it out by the cable. This being the case, there's very little to go wrong mechanically, and I can't say I'm surprised my cables are in perfect condition years later.

My rMBP is a different story. The MagSafe connector (in this version) is so superbly designed that a gentle lift (not a tug) of the cable is enough to make it detach. Not a cat's hell in chance of the cable breaking, and I do it this way all the time. Superb design, Apple.

jvines

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2014
Broken Mac Charger Solution

Hey,

I broke a few Magsafe chargers the first year I owned my Mac, which is pretty aggravating considering their price.. My last one I installed a cheap product called a Python Cord and it hasn't broken since. Hope this helps someone!

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
My current MacBook chargers rubber started peeling away an inch from the charger. I just put electrical tape on it and gave been using it for a year now since then. Not gonna buy a new one till I have to.

The original one that it came with in 2008 is still in great shape, only the L shaped one frayed.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
So, i've always been curious, how cross compatible are windows laptop manufactures chargers within the same model. Will a dell charger from one machine work on any other similar dell machines?

That is one great thing about apple, the entire magsafe line is compatible. The entire previous generation was compatible too.

That is an incorrect statement. While they may physically look the same there are different wattage ratings on different models.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
That is an incorrect statement. While they may physically look the same there are different wattage ratings on different models.
While they do have different wattages, they can be used interchangeably if needed.
Power adapters for Intel-based Apple notebooks are available in 45W, 60W, and 85W varieties. Although you should always use the proper wattage adapter for your Apple notebook, you can use an adapter of a higher wattage without issue.
The article goes on to say you shouldn't use a lower-wattage adapter because it wouldn't provide enough power. The truth is, you can do so without issue, although it may take longer to charge a model that requires a higher wattage adapter.

Intel-Based Apple notebooks: Identifying the right power adapter and power cord

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
While they do have different wattages, they can be used interchangeably if needed.

The article goes on to say you shouldn't use a lower-wattage adapter because it wouldn't provide enough power. The truth is, you can do so without issue, although it may take longer to charge a model that requires a higher wattage adapter.

Intel-Based Apple notebooks: Identifying the right power adapter and power cord
Plug a 45W adapter into a laptop shipped with the 85 Watt adapter and guarantee that the battery will get zero charge. In addition to the Wattage difference the voltage output of the 45 Watt adapter is two to three volts less than the 85 Watt adapter.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Huh?

Is it so that Apple can profit off of customers constantly having to buy new (expensive) chargers? Is there a reason why Apple charges have to be so expensive as well? From what I understand Window laptop chargers are so much cheaper and last a long time compared to Apple charger. My cord just disconnected (I mean the white part came off and wire is showing).

I guess they make the part where the white cover of the wires meet the square middle thing really flimsy so that it disattches from there easily and then because of that small weakness in the wire one has to buy new charger very frequently, bringing in extra revenues for the Apple corporation.

This is my second time the charger broke (actually my brother's broke too so...) that's three chargers in total that Apple corporation owes us. It's pretty obvious that Apple is after money, not innovation.

My family has bought four used Mac laptops from me in the past six years, and they're all on their original chargers. I've never broken a charger.

Perhaps you're winding it up too tightly?

----------

I'm very careful with my iPhone and iPad to use the connector as it should be used - i.e. do not yank it out by the cable. This being the case, there's very little to go wrong mechanically, and I can't say I'm surprised my cables are in perfect condition years later.

My rMBP is a different story. The MagSafe connector (in this version) is so superbly designed that a gentle lift (not a tug) of the cable is enough to make it detach. Not a cat's hell in chance of the cable breaking, and I do it this way all the time. Superb design, Apple.

Mine works fine, too. Are you careful to wind them up? Most of the time, I see people PULLING the cable taut instead of wrapping it semi-loosely.

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2007
From what I was told at a local Mac shop, it's because Apple is using more "green" components that are not as strong as synthetic ones.
Yeah, just like pretending a truck made out of scrap metal is more rust-prone than virgin metal :rolleyes:

I use my charger all the time - no problems. I would say that if you use the hooks built into the power brick, it stresses the connection point. So don't use it. With some care at the connection points, it seems to me there is not a big problem. If you don't take some care - I'm sure they break.

And probably worst of all, the cable between the adaptor and wall plug seemed to be very poorly made. I've seen several people (who've had to replace that specific cable with a cheap 'kettle lead' and never had problems again - myself included.
Maybe this was true when the topic was written, but I actually had no issue whatsoever with that long cable. The only moment it failed was when it fell through a heating baseboard in winter and melted the insulation.

On the other hand, my early 2012 MacBook is at its 3rd charger. I do travel a lot with it, tucked in my backpack. First one stopped working after a year and a half, I was wrapping the cord around the "ears" taking care not to strain the base of the thin wire, as a Genius showed me once. No sign of outrageous wear. Second one failed within a month and a half. I was storing the cable in a loose loop. Mysteriously stopped charging. Didn't have the time to get scuffed. Previous Mac had its charger stopped working out of warranty after 3 years. And the exception: a MacBook charger that was cracked opened, tinkered with, closed with duct tape still works flawlessly. But this one doesn't travel.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Haven't really broken any of mine old or new.

I wouldn't call them easily broken. I do take care of my cables.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Haven't really broken any of mine old or new.

I wouldn't call them easily broken. I do take care of my cables.

I totally agree. I’ve been using iPod and iPhone for years (had the original iPod, and many since; and have owned every model of iPhone). I have never broken a charger or cable in all those years.

I got my first MacBook in 2010, and have had several since. Again, no issues with any of the chargers. Period.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I found this site some time ago and bookmarked it. I have no interest in the site, and have never purchased anything from them, but I thought it was an interesting concept, and thought that it might come in handy someday.

http://www.thefrayfix.com/

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-09-03 at 10.28.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-09-03 at 10.28.37 PM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 157
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.