Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
No screaming fans here. Zoom, 13" MBP 2011, High Sierra. Stays silent when I stream various broadcasters in HD, connected to external 24" TV over HDMI too.
Better disable that damned Spotlight that wants to index every incoming byte ;)

To be clear, I haven't run zoom on an intel 2015 MacBook since early 2020. Were you also using an external monitor?

rin67630

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2022
To be clear, I haven't run zoom on an intel 2015 MacBook since early 2020. Were you also using an external monitor?
Personnally I need Zoom on the MBA when i am not on travel, so doing it with the built in screen.
One should place the documents on the external screen and the Zoom monitor is the laptop's screen.
Finally you are looking into the camera placed above the screen. It would be weird and disturbing for your partners, f you looked elsewhere.

Deedlez

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2011
UK
I have a 2015 MBP, which of course has the glowing apple symbol, not to mention the last great Apple laptop keyboard. I can dual-boot with Windows of course, so sometimes I use this - it's perfectly usable for almost all tasks, although the fan powers up more than it used to.

Alternatively I have an M2 Max MBP which is awesome, and I do have Windows in Parallels, but the 2015 was my workhorse for years and is still enough for a lot of my needs. I haven't loaded all my old apps onto the new laptop (still, after a year) either.

Not that you'll see me in a cafe with either to be honest! I'm gradually transitioning from old to new, but no hurry as the old one still works fine.

Reactions: Andrey84 and trusso

rin67630

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2022
although the fan powers up more than it used to.
Did you clean the fans from the accumulated dust? When I open some Macbooks after 5 years, frequently the fan's showels are completely submerged by dust.
It's just a few screws to open and then blast the dust away. It really helps and will give you a longer battery time as well.

Reactions: madrich and Queen6

madrich

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2012
World Class City of Chicago
Did you clean the fans from the accumulated dust? When I open some Macbooks after 5 years, frequently the fan's showels are completely submerged by dust.
It's just a few screws to open and then blast the dust away. It really helps and will give you a longer battery time as well.
Question: If I get a new battery installed by Apple for my early 2015 MBA will they clean out any dust?

rin67630

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2022
Question: If I get a new battery installed by Apple for my early 2015 MBA will they clean out any dust?
Will you even get a new battery installed by Apple for your early 2015 MBA? Probably not any more.
Go to a local IT shop, they will do it for less and they will clean the MBA as well, if they are not completely without ethics.

LarTeROn

macrumors member
May 8, 2020
Hong Kong
5. You can run Catalina on 2012 hardware, what is so presumably insecure about it? Given what a disaster were systems starting with Big Sur, it is a sound choice. Moreover, you in fact can run Sonoma on that hardware as well, with some tweaks.

Catalina isn't much of a risk?

hgfjhbvytjdnb

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2022
Will you even get a new battery installed by Apple for your early 2015 MBA? Probably not any more.
Go to a local IT shop, they will do it for less and they will clean the MBA as well, if they are not completely without ethics.
Yes Apple will sell you a brand new battery for an ealry 2015 MBA, you'll pay Apple prices obviously but at least you'll get a genuine good quality battery.

Reactions: madrich

rin67630

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2022
...at least you'll get a genuine good quality battery.
You are free to believe that Apple overpriced batteries are better.
My supplier delivers OEM batteries coming from Simplo, the same factory that also delivers Apple as standard.
And I usually only pay around 45€ incl shipping. Never had a probelm with them.

za9ra22

Suspended
Sep 25, 2003
You have more risk to spill coffee on your keyboard...If you area tea-drinker !
The installed base of <Big Sur is so tiny, nobody would ever want to write an attack for it today.
Different versions of macOS can share code and be vulnerable to the same attack vectors. This is a primary reason that using any unsupported operating system is problematic.

It is true that nobody is likely to be crafting exploits against Big Sur, though it wouldn't be unheard of and doesn't mean existing threats are not still 'out there'. But it doesn't mean Big Sur is safe due to that.

Plus, the weakest link is the user, not the system's inherent security.

Reactions: rin67630

hgfjhbvytjdnb

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2022
You are free to believe that Apple overpriced batteries are better.
My supplier delivers OEM batteries coming from Simplo, the same factory that also delivers Apple as standard.
And I usually only pay around 45€ incl shipping. Never had a probelm with them.
If you have a trustworthy supplier of A grade OEM Apple batteries then more power to you.
I and majority of other users outthere don't and I personally would rather pay 2x / 3x - as that's how much a 2015 MBA battery would cost at Apple - for a convenience of receiving a guaranteed A grade Apple battery including installation and warranty.

Reactions: kitKAC and Chuckeee

rin67630

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2022
I and majority of other users outthere don't and I personally would rather pay 2x / 3x - as that's how much a 2015 MBA battery would cost at Apple - for a convenience of receiving a guaranteed A grade Apple battery including installation and warranty.
Are you saying that Apple will replace the battery of a 2015 MBA for between 100€ and 150€ including installation?
Really?

P.S. I checked myself: for a MBA2015, Apple charges 185€ (which is less than I thought, but the replacement ist really easy, that battery is not glued)
The battery from my supplier costs 30€, incl. shipping.
The relationship is 1:6.
But I am retired and my 15 minutes time to do it is free...

P.P.S. ...and my 15 minutes time to do it is ways less than the time required to bring in my device to the nearest Apple store and to pick it up again.

Last edited:

LarTeROn

macrumors member
May 8, 2020
Hong Kong
You have more risk to spill coffee on your keyboard...If you area tea-drinker !
The installed base of <Big Sur is so tiny, nobody would ever want to write an attack for it today.
Maybe we don't have to assume this much.
For example, lots of people are running OLCP with SIP disabled. Can we use that as a datapoint for figuring out how useful an up to date system is and what scenarios it protects against?

I'm trying to worry more about security because someone getting full control of a device is worth than losing a passport and birth certificate these days.

There is SOME discomfort in buying a new mac OR switching to linux, but I won't lie to myself with assumptions about security. What I need to do is figure out exactly what the risks are.

For example, someone running an older system might be more likely to be a bit tighter on cash. That might mean they're using a cracked copy of Photoshop or Microsoft Office. On an up to date system, that risk might have been caught by SIP. But on Catalina with SIP, or Sonoma/Ventura with SIP disabled...? It's important to compare Apples to Apples and consider all angles

SYCAMOREGRAD

macrumors regular
May 23, 2006
Indianapolis
I walk the streets and see them in cafe's and the parks. I see so many people with MacBooks from 2012 that have the light in the back with an out of day OS yet they are using an iPhone 14 or newer. I just don't understand why they don't at least upgrade to a M1 MacBook Air for $800. If they can afford a new iPhone they can afford to update there out of date, insecure laptop.
New iPhones come with carrier financing. MacBooks do not. I can afford a $30/mo. iPhone hardware bill, but not a $200 Mac one.

Reactions: Ifti

glambutnerdy

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2020
the clouds
My old dusty 2012 non retina macbook pro was faster, ran smoother and felt more premium than any windows device I’ve ever tried. Had to give it away a few years ago though, circumstances limit me to windows now :/

Last edited:
Reactions: Chuckeee

dandeco

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2008
Brockton, MA
Replying again, now that Apple discontinued the M1 MacBook Air. I'm still going to be using it until maybe a year after Apple drops new Mac OS support for it (by which time I should already have an M2/M3 Pro-equipped Mac Mini desktop for busier use, with the Air being for when I'm on the go). After said year, then I'll likely replace the M1 Air with a new 15" MacBook Air, but I'll definitely hold onto the M1 as part of my collection of older operational Macs. And believe me, I have a bunch of them, even some PowerPC Macs that still run pretty well!
Macs are like Toyotas, in that they're built to last with the proper care. (A couple weeks ago I actually got a 2007 Toyota Camry, to replace my aging 2001 BMW 528i with its' failing steering mechanism.)

Reactions: Lisamelting

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
Same reason why I used my surface pro from 2012 all the way to 2019.

If it works fine why bother.

Phones are way different than laptops. Tech advances quickly in phones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.