Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sallythemac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
It seemed to spring from nowhere, but everyone seems to be calling thread starters "the op". What is it short for? Seems quite rude, a bit derogatory - like calling someone "her" or "him". What's wrong with calling people by their user/names?

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
It means the 'original poster' and is usually a shorthand for the thread starter instead of scrolling all the way to the top of the thread, copying and pasting their name into your post. The mods will use it as well; it's not meant to be rude.

alexbates

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2008
Georgia, USA
If a thread has a ton of posts, no one wants to figure out who the user is that people keep talking about. So why not just say original poster

sallythemac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
Oh right, thanks for your replies.

"Original poster" doesn't sound as rude. It's just for some reason "the op" came across to me as a label, and a derogatory one at that. But original poster is bearable :).

sallythemac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
I had no idea what it stood for, so i couldn't say.

The reason i thought it was rude was... well, maybe the context it was used. You see threads with where a member is replying to a commentor rather than "the op" (see, i'm getting into it now), and it would be like "What i think the op is trying to say is..." and "I don't think it's helpful to the op for you to say that..." etc. It just comes across as if the thread starter is some kind of... well, lower-being. Either they can't reply for themselves or they need standing up for.

Ah, it's just popped into my head what it's like. It's like a man calling his partner "the wife" or "the misses". Like they don't have a name, they are just a "thing". It's just rude, demeaning.

That's what i likened it to. Not a biggy, that was just the first thing that popped into my head.

Mr. Giver '94

macrumors 68000
Jun 2, 2008
London
The rudest things I could think of for OP were Obnoxious Person and Obnoxious P****

Don't worry, it just means Original Poster. :D

Mr. lax

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2007
Canada
I'm sure its been said but: Original Poster, some of the big threads, like the Desktop threads, have like 20 pages, and so its just convenient to say op, no disrespect what so ever.

michael.lauden

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2008
just like in gangs,

the OG is the original gangster

you white mac geeks!

just kidding - i too am a cracker

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.