Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

satchmo

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
If you've bypassed last years iPhone 15 Pro, and waiting for this year's iPhone 16 Pro, what is your reason?

I'm sort of on the fence with a pretty good iPhone 15 Pro offer from my carrier. Naturally I could wait another year and get a similar deal on the 16 Pro. But it's always going to be an endless cycle of improvements each year.

But do we think the rumoured features of the 16 are significant that make it worth waiting for?

The periscopic zoom lens is one. The other is the slightly larger size which I think will make it feel a bit more MAX-like but still be a somewhat manageable size.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I would of waited for the 16PM but Apple stopped supporting my iPhone X and after using it for almost 6 years I decided to get the 15PM instead.. I don't regret it at all..

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
I'm happy with my 13 pro but when the 16 pro's being released I will prob change and sell my 13 pro. Main reason is that the battery has prob degraded below 80% and that I have slowly changed most of my devices to USB-C back home. If the batterys still OK on my 13 i might wait for the 17 pro or the 17. I feel that I don't use the camera features that the pro has as much as I should and it is a bit heavier than the regular one.

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
I just replaced the battery on my 12 Pro, and dropped AC+. So I suspect it is possible I'll be buying a new phone if I were to break it :)
I've held on due to liking the flexibility of a physical SIM.

This is an expensive year. First new car in 10 years. I could buy several phones with what my down payment and warranty cost. Let alone the monthly payments.

AlexJ092

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2013
I patiently wait every year for the next iPhone. I upgrade every year and I have since the original iPhone in 2007. It’s one of the largest luxuries that I allow myself 😄

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2022
I know the 15 Pro was sort of left out of some features that the ProMax received.

Is the 16ProMax rumoured to get a substantial upgrade from the 15PM?
Apple will have to leave off some features to differentiate it from the ProMax.

anthony131

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2021
I'm watching a video covering all the rumors about the iPhone 16. I'll be purchasing a backup for my 12 Mini. Not only is there nothing interesting about these phones, they're further moving away from what I consider a usable phone. Great if you want a camera I guess, but that's not what I use my phone for. There's genuinely nothing at all that's compelling to me about any iPhone after the 12 Mini. Nor do I think there will be until they make a phone with a smaller camera matrix. Yeah, I realize I'm in the minority, I'm a "luddite", I'm fighting a losing battle. I am saving money though.

coffeemilktea

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2022
I just want to see if all those rumors of cool new AI features will come true this year. If not, guess I'm holding out for the 17 Pro. :p

(also, the past few iPhone updates have felt pretty underwhelming to me... I just don't feel all that compelled to upgrade, not if I'm going to spend over $1000!)

brgjoe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2014
Central IL, USA.
Still very happy with my 13 PM. Just haven't felt a compelling reason to upgrade. The satellite thing was fairly compelling. But I don't travel as much anymore, so it's not big enough of a reason for me to get it. Plus, I like having the mute switch and a physical SIM card.

Just will wait and see if the 16 Pro/Pro Max has anything worth the upgrade for my needs.

Marty80

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2015
Melbourne
I am forced to update my 12 pro max to a 16 pro max given the screen is ghosting & screen repairs are very costly.

I am looking forward to the larger display & wifi 7. My next update may be shorter, as i am holding out for the punch hole design.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I don't know what I am holding out for either. I got the 13 pro max, and internally, I am expecting to hold on to it for at least 4 years. I may upgrade along the way if Apple releases an iPhone with a particularly compelling feature (or if enough incremental improvements add up to something significant), but I have no idea what that killer feature will be.

James6s

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2015
Cumbria, UK
Currently have a 15 Pro which I only got in February. My next iPhone will be the 17/18 Pro. Hopefully some worthy upgrades by then.

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
I know the 15 Pro was sort of left out of some features that the ProMax received.

Is the 16ProMax rumoured to get a substantial upgrade from the 15PM?

You may find that periscope lens is only on the Max due to its bigger size, but you will have to wait and see if that is true or not.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
I just got my 13PM replaced under AC+, so battery back at 100% health. The 16PM will have to really wow me, the rumors so far have not so likely will just keep my 13PM for another year…
I’ll decide I. Sep after the announcement

metman888

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2022
I had planned getting a 15 pro max but life kinda got in the way. Seeing as we’re over half way to the 16 being released I might as well wait. Was probably for the best as there’s nothing wrong with my 14 pro max.

noannualfee

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2022
My iPhone 12 Mini is chugging along strong. I made a commitment to wait out the first gen USB-C iPhone. But now I’m wondering if I should wait for the foldable iPhone.

ipaqrat

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2017
Every since I got my X, I've been looking forward to Apple's next cool shi... Oh, more camera tricks. Is that all?

Meh, I'm good.

And, considering Apple's challenges of late (Their "legislative influence and judicial stability" budget obviously dipped somewhat), this is a period to wait and see where the new balance settles down between Big-Tech-****-Moves vs. Genuine Innovation vs. Socioeconomic Equity.

Hope my iPhone X doesn't die too soon. I sure would like me a IP68 Flip-iPhone - where Siri gets what Lenny and Algernon got, and Maps can find it's own ***.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.