Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i4k20c

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2005
Currently the drive is in HFS+ with 4 partitions being HFS+. I want to convert one to FAT32. When i go to disk utility, if I make one partition smaller and create a new one, FAT32 isn't a option. If I simply pick one of my HFS+ partitions and hit erase, under format, the MS DOS (FAT) option goes away.

My only option seems to be if I decide to erase the WHOLE HD, I can format it to FAT 32? Is that right? Is that the only way? :confused:

i4k20c

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2005
Ugh, no one? is there a better way to do this in Windows XP? :confused: :confused: :confused:

PeterHolbrook

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2009
Currently the drive is in HFS+ with 4 partitions being HFS+. I want to convert one to FAT32. When i go to disk utility, if I make one partition smaller and create a new one, FAT32 isn't a option. If I simply pick one of my HFS+ partitions and hit erase, under format, the MS DOS (FAT) option goes away.

My only option seems to be if I decide to erase the WHOLE HD, I can format it to FAT 32? Is that right? Is that the only way? :confused:

It's a long time since I last used FAT32, but there was a limit in the size of the partition, possibly 32Gb. The system shouldn't let you format any disks as FAT32 over that limit. You might want to choose a different file system, such as NTFS (using, for instance, Paragon NTFS for Mac OS X).

Susurs

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
FAT32 partition has a size limit and file size limit (around 4Gb I think) you can put on it...
There is such a thing as exFAT by the way, though older Windows needs an update to support this filesystem...

i4k20c

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2005
I agree, go for NTFS. NTFS-3G or Tuxera NTFS will help you there.

Yeah, I see that paragon or w.e. is only $20. that's not bad at all for having such ease.

Now the problem is I was messing with the drive since I couldn't get it to work and formatted everything to HFS+

In order to format part of it back to NTFS, i'll have to use windows right?

Is it easy enough in windows xp to decrease the HFS+ and add in the NFTS or should I first decrease the HFS+ partition and leave the rest as free space and than in windows convert that free space to NTFS format partition?

Hope this makes sense. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.