Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
http://www.theverge.com/2014/8/19/6045973/sharp-aquos-crystal-sprint-hands-on

Apple is usually the first to popularize awesome features such as 7 hour battery life on the MacBook Air (and then to an amazing 12 hours), retina display on a laptop, Touch ID on the iPhone, etc.

How come they still haven't figured out the edge to edge glass? I am definitely getting an iPhone 6 and I have no desire to move to Android, but the edge to edge glass on this Sharp phone is breathtaking. I don't care for the rest of the design like the home button area or the back, but the edge to edge just bleeds cutting edge.

gbkrip

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2011
Nebraska
I wonder the same thing. My guess is the front facing camera and speaker have a lot to do with the current design language. Also, edge to edge like the Sharp device would require some pretty big internal architecture changes. Maybe some day!

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
I wonder the same thing. My guess is the front facing camera and speaker have a lot to do with the current design language. Also, edge to edge like the Sharp device would require some pretty big internal architecture changes. Maybe some day!

I understand the top and bottom cannot have edge to edge for obvious reasons but I don't know why the sides cannot be cleaned up a bit.

gbkrip

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2011
Nebraska
I understand the top and bottom cannot have edge to edge for obvious reasons but I don't know why the sides cannot be cleaned up a bit.

From what I understand, in order to have no bezels, the required connections have to be made "behind" the screen which means the internal components currently occupying that space would have to be relocated. Maybe this would result in a thicker design, but personally I think it would be worth it!

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
From the article:

"Because nearly the entire front is display, it lacks a proximity sensor, but Sharp's software will lock the display when on calls so you don't accidentally press buttons with your ear."

Wow. That's crap. So, you can't use any features of the phone while on a phone call? The screen stays on the entire time of a call?

Yikes.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I think that just like the often-asked-for "touch screen iMacs," this is a design that would look cool in the store and get really annoying after weeks of use.

You can be certain that Apple has played with designs like this in the lab. Why they were rejected I can't say, but I am certain the answer is not "they never thought to try."

Deguello

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
Texas
I think that just like the often-asked-for "touch screen iMacs," this is a design that would look cool in the store and get really annoying after weeks of use.

You can be certain that Apple has played with designs like this in the lab. Why they were rejected I can't say, but I am certain the answer is not "they never thought to try."
Why do you think this design, in and of itself, would get really annoying?

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA

The bezel seems to be there for a reason. Without it, I'd imagine there would be many more instances of accidentally tapping content on the screen when just trying to hold or maneuver the phone. That would be incredibly annoying to me.

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010

Difficult to hold without your fingers/palm accidentally touching parts of the display. It can be done, but only with limited ways of holding it. Given how often we use our phones and in the extremely wide range of activities we're engaged in while using them, this would be problematic.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
The bezel seems to be there for a reason. Without it, I'd imagine there would be many more instances of accidentally tapping content on the screen when just trying to hold or maneuver the phone. That would be incredibly annoying to me.

Try holding your iPhone in your hand right now. I'm doing it as we speak. The bezel doesn't do anything in terms of accidentally tapping contact. In fact my hand doesn't even touch the bezel or cover it.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Try holding your iPhone in your hand right now. I'm doing it as we speak. The bezel doesn't do anything in terms of accidentally tapping contact. In fact my hand doesn't even touch the bezel or cover it.

Try paying attention and random parts throughout the day when using your phone. I bet, during normal uses where you're not focusing on it, you would.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC

Try holding your iPhone in your hand right now.

While it's certainly possible to hold the phone so that my fingers doesn't cover any of the screen it feels much less safe. (Most of my phone drops occured when I was playing a game that required me to see all of the screen and I retreated from my normal holding style.)

The natural way to hold my current iPhone already covers a little bit of the screen with my fingers.

It's not too much. It works fine. But I would be very afraid of losing the bezel that's currently there. That very well could lead to too much of the screen being covered.

EDIT: Although this may go away with a larger phone. I'm looking at my hands more and realize they won't reach around a bigger phone in this way. My holding style may well change next month.

Deguello

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
Texas
Try paying attention and random parts throughout the day when using your phone. I bet, during normal uses where you're not focusing on it, you would.
I don't.

I guess we'll know soon enough if this is an actual problem or an "Apple doesn't do it this way so it must be bad" problem.

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010

I don't.

I guess we'll know soon enough if this is an actual problem or an "Apple doesn't do it this way so it must be bad" problem.

The problem with these tests is that they're artificial. It's not common that we're sitting there holding our phone in a controlled situation like that ("Just hold your phone"). Very, very often, we're manipulating it while talking to people, walking, managing car keys, a drink, carrying bags of stuff, doing things while picking it up or putting it down, etc.

And granted, there may be some people that just naturally never touch the edges of their phone. For those people, a bezel-less design would be fine. But a small bezel works for everyone. When you're focusing on effectively a single model of phone, it's kind of a no-brainer which way to go.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
Bezels add to the durability of a device. Edge to edge displays are just cracked screen waiting to happen.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
The problem with these tests is that they're artificial. It's not common that we're sitting there holding our phone in a controlled situation like that ("Just hold your phone"). Very, very often, we're manipulating it while talking to people, walking, managing car keys, a drink, carrying bags of stuff, doing things while picking it up or putting it down, etc.

And granted, there may be some people that just naturally never touch the edges of their phone. For those people, a bezel-less design would be fine. But a small bezel works for everyone. When you're focusing on effectively a single model of phone, it's kind of a no-brainer which way to go.

I agree with your real-world use especially when talking to someone or driving. But my point is, even during those situations, how often (if ever) do you actually make use of the bezel? Unlike an iPad where you need to grab onto it, I see no reason why there would be a "need" for having the bezel on the sides. Even if I'm manipulating it while doing other stuff (like ordering food at Chipotle), I'm not touching the bezel. I hold it the same way I hold it when I am holding it in my hand right now.

For example, if I tell you to stop what you're doing and put your hands on a steering wheel. You're not gonna hold it any differently when you are concentrating on holding the steering wheel than you would if you were talking to someone in the car next to you.

uwdude

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2014
I'm assuming the speaker for the phone would then have to be on top, so I'm not sure how well that would work for call quality. Also looks like the selfie cam has to be on the bottom bezel.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Not very practical, looks like it will not be very comfortable.

Kind of like driving an F1 McLaren in NYC. Sexy as hell but not practical.

Bacong

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2009
Westland, Michigan
I agree with your real-world use especially when talking to someone or driving. But my point is, even during those situations, how often (if ever) do you actually make use of the bezel? Unlike an iPad where you need to grab onto it, I see no reason why there would be a "need" for having the bezel on the sides. Even if I'm manipulating it while doing other stuff (like ordering food at Chipotle), I'm not touching the bezel. I hold it the same way I hold it when I am holding it in my hand right now.

For example, if I tell you to stop what you're doing and put your hands on a steering wheel. You're not gonna hold it any differently when you are concentrating on holding the steering wheel than you would if you were talking to someone in the car next to you.

your argument is poor for the simple fact of your evidence being anecdotal. Just because your own biases prevent you from recognizing that bezels help with preventing accidental touches does not mean that a complete reduction or removal of said bezels would be a positive. It is, like almost anything else, up to the individual user to decide.

Sometimes I hold my device in a way that allows my fingers to grace the edges of the other side of the display. This is a possible point of interference. Not to mention holding it landscape to play games.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.