Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sami13496

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2022
Apple is the only one who actually have awesome software, awesome hardware, refined OS, really well thought ecosystem, long support, privacy, etc.

Everything else is bloatware boat of crap to me. Their “innovation” and “new design every year” is in fact lack of design, lack of quality, lack of refinement and lack of real usability.

Tres

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2007
I had one of the first MP3 players to come out in late 1999. It had awful build quality, it was hard to use, had almost no storage, and transferring music to it was a chore. It was so bad that I switched to minidiscs for a while.

Then the iPod came out.

I instantly knew it was the future of music. When Windows support launched in 2002 I got one for Christmas and it was amazing. Easy to use, quick to transfer music, stored my entire library AND it looked beautiful.

------

Back in the late 90s through to the early 2000s I had one Windows laptop after another, including supposedly high quality IBM Thinkpads. They all had the same points of failure—loose screen hinges and the AC adapter pin on the laptop-side. I didn't have a single one that didn't need servicing at some point.

Then I got my first iBook.

Every single aspect of that iBook had been created to mitigate those issues and it was also beautiful and ran a Unix-based OS. I was big into Linux at the time, but Linux desktop software and desktop environments were garbage and I knew it. Mac OS X gave me everything that I had on Linux AND Windows with no jankiness.

------

I was using Symbian-based Nokia smartphones from the mid-2000s.
They had a bunch of features but I never used them because the OS was so clunky, slow, and buggy.

Then the iPhone came out. Sure, it didn't have as many features, but it didn't matter because the features it did have were usable and it was revolutionary in every other sense!

------

I tried a bunch of bluetooth headphones. They all had issues with interference, it was a chore switching between devices, and the ones with wires between the earpieces would break after a year or so.

Then the AirPods came out...

... Like, there's a pattern here. I am a tech fan and an early adopter but other companies' tech products are, for the most part, just absolute garbage. Now I just wait for Apple to release something if I'm interested in a new tech category.

Last edited:

Asthmatic Kitty

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2014
Example 1 of Apple software compromising behaviour: I used to switch watch faces all the time. Now that it requires hold and swipe, I’ve done it three times…

They brought this option back, thankfully, in one of the point updates — but you need to switch a toggle on in settings.

On the watch's Settings app go to Clock, then toggle “Swipe to Switch Watch Face” on.

• Love
Reactions: Ctrlos and leifp

boswald

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2016
Florida
What a great topic! It’s about time we injected some positivity into this site.

I guess, for me, I’m still in the thought of “it just works.” Yeah, there’s some problems here and there, but they’re so minor and infrequent that I usually overlook them.

I chose Apple on a whim (I was an “android guy”) and fell in love with the ease and simplicity. Ever since then I’ve slowly replaced most of my things with Apple products in the hopes that I’ll eventually be fully entrenched into the ecosystem. I’ve thought about leaving a couple times, I’ll admit, but I always come back home.

• Love
Reactions: jazz1 and Ctrlos

AlmightyKang

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2023
I chose Apple for a number of reasons:

1. For work I wanted a Unix workstation that worked properly and didn't have a ****** user interface on it.
2. At least once a week Windows made me want to strangle people with a tow rope.
3. My old Moto G2 ate all my holiday photos then Microsoft discontinued Windows Phone.
4. I want a cohesive experience across everything rather than having to assemble lots of poor tools that don't work properly.
5. No other vendor I have ever had the pleasure of dealing with honours a warranty.

All these problems went away.

robgreene

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2008
Back in 2000 I bought a PowerBook G4 because multiple people said "Mac is better for Creatives" and I wanted to be a Creative. That's why I originally chose Apple.

Today, I choose Apple for several reasons:

(1) Apple sells me their products. They don't sell me and my data AS their product.
(2) The App Store has built a higher level of trust than any other online checkout.
(3) The ecosystem, while not flawless, is a seamless, intuitive experience.
(4) The design is best-of-class.
(5) It just works.

Warped9

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2018
Brockville, Ontario.
My first Mac was also my first computer, not counting the small Brother word processor I had for a couple of years before.

In 2001 I was looking to get my first computer. Most everyone I knew was using Windows, but I had one friend who was an Apple user (and still is). I listened to all their thoughts and recommendations although no one tried to push or influence me one way or the other.

Around the same time I started working for a Future Shop in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada where I was exposed to all manner of computers and tech. Thats where I first set my eyes on the G3 iMac. It was quite something alongside the dull looking black, grey and beige desktop towers and CRT monitors. The iMac looked very futuristic and Mac OS looked a lot more inviting and easier to understand.

I went with the iMac and have never looked back. I am presently on my third Mac computer—all desktops—and they have all worked flawlessly. The one hiccup I had was with my eMac where the CD slot door would sometimes stick in its later years. My current 2011 21.5 iMac has been a steady and durable beast. With my hardware upgrades the damn thing runs better than when it was new. Its only issue is that it’s stuck at High Sierra. I plan on getting an M3 iMac with 16/512 or 16/1TB, but life is a little complicated at the moment, and I’m not desperate for a new computer.

My second Apple device was a mint green iPod Nano. I loved that little square gizmo which worked great for ten years. After it died I repurposed my old iPhone 4 as a glorified iPod. I presently have a last generation iPod Touch for my music. It works great, but it’s not as cool as my green Nano was.

My first cellphone was not an Apple, but a small metallic red Samsung flip phone. I quite liked that little phone and using it had a rather Star Trek feel to it—rather cool. 😁 But around 2012-2013 I swapped it for an iPhone 4. While not as fun looking as the red Samsung it was light years better to actually use. Oddly to this day I still think Samsung makes very nice looking phones, but I think the iPhone with iOS is a better device overall. I have had zero issues with my 4, 6, 8+ and now 14. Each one has been a step up from the previous model, but I don’t feel the 14 is significantly better than my previous 8+. I do find the battery life of my 14 better than my 8+.

My first iPad I actually bought for my father who was weary of paying a yearly subscription for a newspaper he read only a small portion of. With the iPad he could read whatever he wanted. Once he got used to it he quite liked it and used it a lot. Later I got my own iPad. I tried an iPad Mini for awhile and while its performance was fine I grew tired of the small size, partly due to aging eyes. I presently have an Air 5 which I quite like. I usually keep my iPads about five years, but I just might be tempted by the soon-to-be released 12.9 Air 6.

All my Apple products have worked flawlessly and all have displayed excellent build quality. Mac OS, iOS and iPad OS have never been buggy for me in anyway whatsoever. In the beginning there was a measure of trial-and-error in familiarizing myself with the OS, but it was never a pain. I also greatly appreciate the smooth integration of Apple’s ecosystem across its devices.

In counterpoint while I am familiar with Windows and Android they still look like migraine inducing nightmares to me. I also find mainstream PC computers, including gaming machines and some more expensive devices, the great majority of it looks like hastily assembled plastic junk. Even some of the nicer looking units all look disposable no matter what the specs. I see nothing there that could remotely tempt me away from Mac.

Last edited:

calliex

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2018
Pittsburgh, Pa
My first computer was a Commodore 64. When it broke someone I worked with showed me a MacPlus I think that was 1986. I never looked back after that. I could not. understand the lure of windows in those days. It was cheaper but way behind the Mac. Both the hardware and software were inferior. Almost 40 years later I am still using Mac's. I have never bought Apple Care and have never needed it. I worked for apple for about 10 years just when the iPad came out and quit right when the watch came out. Didn't like the way the watch was sold. I keep my machines about 10 years or so. I have a 2012 MacBook Pro that I still use everyday plugged in. Currently I have a M1, Ultra watch and two iPads.

Reactions: Ctrlos and za9ra22

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2022
So many great comments! Keep them coming guys.

I too have a few friends I have introduced Apple to, mostly through the Mac. One wanted a new work laptop for teaching so I sold him a MacBook Pro. Since then he hasn’t bought anything but Apple products and swears by the iPhone.

Reactions: boswald

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Clung to Amiga beyond too long and needed to go PC or Mac. iPod was announced and "a 1000 songs in my pocket" was very appealing. iPod needed a Mac for iTunes synching, so I opted to go "all in" on PowerMac and very early OS X. Then one thing begat another.

I still wish Amiga would have made it as a mainstream third option... but I'll give most of the credit to iPod to swaying me to Mac over PC.

The Jobs years kept rolling out tech lift after lift, particularly the switch to Intel which- effectively- made all new Macs both Mac OS X and Windows PC machines in ONE case. This was a tremendous benefit for the next approx. 14 years for us Working Mac people who could easily NEED a PC while wanting a Mac. Some clients are Windows-centric and to work with/for them requires a PC. For those years, a Mac could do both... the only computer that could natively do both without virtualization.

There was also the great added value of being able to buy PC RAM and PC Storage at very competitive prices to upgrade those Macs vs. how it is now, where Apple simply robs their customers at 3X-5X market (relative) rates. One could buy minimal specs of both and then upgrade them for much less than Apple upgrades and/or upgrade/repair them by replacing either part should either go bad. All of that great value/utility is entirely lost now. We have to guess the max RAM & SSD we will ever need and if either part fails, we have to replace the entire computer.

Cellular iPad Mini became my cell phone (buds + VOIP app), so iPhone never really mattered much to me. The combination of desktop & laptop Intel Macs (for that 2-in-1 benefit) and a cellular iPad scratched all computer tech needs.

Last few years has jettisoned the 2-in-1 (ARM Windows is not full Windows), so I've embraced "old fashioned bootcamp" with a dedicated PC. With that purchase, I needed a monitor that could double as a PC monitor so that drove me away from relatively expensive ASD to third party with more than one input to work with what is now more more than 1 computer.

And as my Intel MB nears the end of its useful life, I find myself considering going PC there too for much greater value for the money (again mostly revolving around Apple RAM & SSD pricing) and certain compatibility with Windows-only clients... then doing any Mac polish back at the office on a desktop Mac. If that happens, I'll basically have transitioned from 2 Macs to 2 PCs and only 1 Mac... from an Apple monitor in a 27" iMac to a third party monitor... and the lone tech still in the toolkit will be a Mac desktop and a cellular iPad Mini.

I don't want to go even more PC but I want better value for my money and basically NEED Windows for clients over wanting Mac. In a few years, I might have more PC-based stuff than Apple stuff... which would be stark contrast to even 5 years ago. But hey, let those shareholders rejoice.

Last edited:

mikehockenballs

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2007
Greater Manchester, England
My journey with Apple started way back before smartphones were readily available.

I had the usual common mobile phones like Nokia's then Sony Ericsson, the metal foldable Razr phone, then a Blackberry which was half decent but not the full blown smartphone.
My first venture into the smartphone phone zone was when I purchased an MPX200 made by Motorola which had a colour screen and the most amazing thing was that it had an internet browser so you could actually connect to the internet on your phone!
Next was the 'candy bar' style SPV600 phone which was heavily linked with Orange the phone tariff carrier.
This phone I loved because it was very small, relatively thin and light but had good connection responses and a half decent operating system which was the Windows mobile operating system.
These were great times for phones because each one released broke down barriers for what smartphones could do.
The only real issue for me was the internet connection and browser usage which regularly 'froze' the phone or just shut down what ever app you were trying to use at the time. then you would have to reboot the phone and start all over again which usually took 2-3 minutes with the windows operating system. But you could amaze your friends by connecting to the internet in the pub at night and also change some of the wallpapers and background images by yourself.

Then the first iPhone was released which absolutely changed the mobile smartphone market and blew everything else out of the water. This device 'just worked' and it worked everytime without freezing or locking up!
I bought my first iPhone from eBay and travelled to Leeds to buy it from someone that had 'unlocked' the phone so it could be used on any carrier like Orange. O2 etc.. I think I paid £160.00 cash for this phone but it was worth it for sure!
I then started to view smartphone websites and forums on how to 'Jailbreak' the phone so that I could install various 'third party' apps on the phone to make it better and also to change the wallpapers and other images etc..
I successfully completed the jailbreak process and I was free to install a lot more stuff on my phone and show it off to my friends who were quite jealous. The one particular jailbreak software that I remember was called 'Red Snow' which was a bit tricky to use and also carried the warning that it could 'brick' your iPhone rendering it useless.

The process opened up the smartphone software market massively and more and more small 'apps' became available to download and install.

I still have my MPX200 and my SPV600 and my original jailbroken iPhone to this day and keep them for old times sake.

I currently have an iPhone 12 Pro Max and am looking to purchase the iPhone 16 Pro Max later this year.

Reactions: jazz1

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
It took me a long time to get to Apple.

My first computer was an Atari 800. It had more advanced hardware than the Apple II+ and was about half the price, plus I got it wholesale. Having a graphics co-processor and an extensible operating system in 1981 was a huge deal. I continued with Atari through the Motorola 68000-based 1040 ST. I had a chance to use the original Macintosh at work but it just wasn't enough at that time and the price was too !@#$ high.

I found a deal on a brand new IBM L40SX laptop computer for US$1500 instead of the $6000 that it was. I fought with DOS and Windows 3.0 for a while and then, the mouse port broke. The extended warranty company decided to buy it, rather than to repair it, as the mother board would have likely cost more than I paid for the computer.

I went shopping with the $1100 that I got, added a little and got a Performa 476 with color monitor, mouse, and keyboard. It ran System 7.1P3 with only 4 MB of RAM and a 250 MB hard drive. I paid $1040 for 32 MB of RAM for the only slot available. It was 1993.

Still the Atari 1040 ST was more useful and I was using Calamus SL for Desktop Publishing on that and had it connected to my MIDI-compatible Yamaha Clavinova.

It wasn't until the Mac clone era that things took hold. I bought a Power Computing PowerCenter 120 with PowerPC 604 processor and software was much more capable with MacOS 8.x. BeOS really showed how fast the machines were and when Mac OS X arrived, it was more complete but not nearly as fast.

I've had a couple of PowerMac towers, a PowerBook or two, and a couple of MacBook Pro since then, ending with this MacBook Air and M1 SoC. I also had a 4th generation, HP iPod, an iPod touch, and a few iPhones over the years.

As a software developer for big machines, I was always using something else at work, but I often helped maintain a few Macs where others had insufficient knowledge.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
You youngsters! :p My first Apple product was a //+. from a small, independent computer store that had several of the emerging computer brands. But in my mind the Apple just held a mysterious allure! Yes, I crammed that //+ with a dial up modem and printer buffer cards.

Even better this early computer store hosted an Apple User Group, where we all met in person, and gave each other support! It was a great fraternity of friends!!! It was fun to watch "newbies" get experience, and become mentors to new members. I miss those days. MacRumors Forums provide that kind of support, but "ahem" the in person users groups fostered a little more civility between members.😁

I would also be remiss if I did not mention MacWorld in-person conventions across the country. I attended several over the years. The vendor tech. demonstration tables, lectures and a chance to see Apple cult celerities roaming the convention floors where great fun!

When the first Mac came out I couldn't resist the use of a mouse to navigate and immediately sold the //+. Does anyone remember the old "Maze" giant eyeball with crooked tail game? When a local computer store was going out of business I purchased the network dongle's that allowed my local User Group to network and play the game, in network mode, at a local university, that years later I became a staff member.

Upon college graduation I worked in the Justice system. Written reports to the court were dictated on a tape recorder and staff would transcribe the report via typewriters to paper. Well I had a slightly better idea. I would haul my Mac to work in a Mac backpack every day to write the reports. I could not afford an Apple Laser printer, so I would end up dictating the report from the Mac's screen. Sounds dumb I know, but when writing reports for multiple defendants, for the same crime, it saved time.

Over the years I've owned many Apple desktops and laptops. But in 1993 I got a edu discount on a Newton, a handheld that used a "pencil" much like the future iPad to navigate. It to had a dial up modem add on. I wish Steve Jobs hadn't killed the device for it certainly a forerunner of the Apple iPhone.

One of the things I'm proud of is working with regional Apple Education representative to break down my graduate college's Apple computer tech support barrier. Faculty and staff were not given a choice to have an Apple product on their desk.

The college's third party exam software Apple version was not purchased. So students with Apple Macs had to beg and borrow a Windows OS laptops.Which was odd because the university itself used to stock each dorm room with a Mac! Well our efforts paid off, and I got to finally see blazing Apple logos in the multi-tier seating in the class rooms! The sweet part was the Apple laptops eventually outnumbered the Windows laptops. A proud moment for me!

I also was the first at the university to set up my own, personal Wifi network via the famous Apple Saucer. The university tech. people came by my office to see it in action. I may have had and orange and white "toilet seat" Apple Laptop then! Silly I know, as there was was ethernet connection in every office. But as I traveled around town for multiple appointments I could just drive up in front of my office building and get emails in the car. Silly I know, but I had something to prove to the non-Apple believers tech. support people!

Well it has been a long road for me with Apple. It has not been all perfect of course. But, Apple support has been mostly outstanding for me. Another reason to buy the brand's devices.

In closing I wish I could be here for the next decade or so and see where the Apple Logo leads me!

Last edited:

williamofockham

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2024
Mississippi
I might not be a real old-timer , I first encountered apples in grad school - I was using big metal then cdc, crays, started on an ibm 360 doing scientific programming. Encountered the early 1984 Mac while working as a software engineer mostly using cp/m and early msdos depending on the platform. I was happy using those two operating systems as long as I could boot into dos without a gui, I used mac's (mostly the fx) for technical writing. when OS X came out with a useful unix I dropped the msdos world for single user booting into the apple unix. Stayed in scientific / technical programming until I retired, I still prefer the single user boot but use the gui Sonoma for web browsing. apple has produced a few clunkers (Lisa,newton etc) but for the most part good hardware - my g4 lmacbook continues to work under 10.4, my lampshade g4 finally suffered a power supply failure ran 10.2.7 to the end. I've an iPhone , iPad Air and a iMac with a big screen for old eyes, I seem to be happy not having the devices talking to each other, never have trusted the security in interconnected systems.

Reactions: leifp and EdwardC

Sunset Cassette

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2021
Canada
I am a relatively new convert to the Apple ecosystem, but thus far have been extremely pleased with my choice to switch.

I've used an iPad since the release of the mini 4th Gen, and I switched to an iPhone 12 Pro upon their release. Just got my "first" Mac with the release of the M3 MacBook Pro lineup (I very briefly had an Intel Air back in 2018 but quickly returned it as it was not a great machine for me at the time).

My decision to switch was mainly motivated by my work (cellular sales) and having hands-on experience with both Android and Apple devices every day for the last several years. Over time, I became very fond of how, generally speaking, Apple products just work. They aren't perfect, and everything has its own quirks/flaws/downsides, but I've come to believe that Apple's are significantly less impactful than that of the competition.

To touch on the ecosystem briefly, without a doubt this is what kept me on the path of switching my other devices beyond just my phone to Apple products. Smart watch, smart home, etc. all seamlessly integrates with minimal effort.

I still use a Windows machine in my daily life, almost exclusively for gaming at this point, and use my Mac for nearly everything else. Realistically, if I wasn't into gaming at all, I probably wouldn't even keep my PC around.

I think it is important to be critical of the things you're fond of, but as a relative newcomer to Apple and to this forum, the mass negativity often pushes well beyond the level of reasonable critique and drowns out the reason why many of us are here in the first place.

Thanks for making a post that highlights our shared enjoyment of the devices most of us are using each and every day.

Last edited:

PackFan

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2009
Twin Cities, MN
I bought my first Mac somewhere around 2008. Before that I was a diehard PC guy. I even built my own computers most of the time. But I was using a laptop for work more and more, and I was impressed with the build-quality of the MacBook Pro. The switch of Apple to Intel chips drew me in.

I was able to use native Mac apps and either Bootcamp or Fusion/Parallels to run with Windows apps that I needed to use.

As the years progressed, however, my reliance on Windows apps subsided and my use of Bootcamp and virtual machines diminished. My only use for any of that became the occasional game. But I fell in love with the Apple ecosystem. Things work so seamlessly between the iPhone, iPad, and my Mac. Today I am happy with my M3 Max MacBook Pro, iPhone 15 Pro Max, and a fairly old iPad Pro.

Last edited:

Flowstates

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2023
Personnaly ... Nanosaur 2 on my G5 (Flying dynos with lazers dude !!) Tony hawk pro skater II and those sick iTunes visualizers, my father lost part of his thesis on an MS-Dos Machine, mother was introduced to macintoshes in Boston around the apple II, we had palm computers around growing up, apple was the only one company (as far as we knew and trusted) to offer the organic transition from that. Had blackberries for a while during the transition from sony ericssons to iphones ... used to dual a blackberry and iPod touch, BBM and the early app store were the shizz.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chuckeee

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I first choose Apole when I got the iPod mini in 2005. It was my first MP3 player. I had bought my ex-boyfriend some Sony MP3 player the previous year for his birthday and when it was my birthday I asked for the iPod mini. To be fair at that time I liked it because of the way it looked (pink lol). However, when I got it I found it to be better than my ex-boyfriend‘s mP3 player. I also liked the fact that it was integrated with iTunes. I could buy songs legally and have them sync to my phone. Later on in 2009 I got my first iphone. In 2012 I had my iphone 4 stolen and decided to try android for a while. Had various samsung galaxy phones but by 2014 I was back with the iPhone and have been using it since then. I continue to choose Apple because their products work for me. They have the best ecosystem.

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
Why Apple? Because it’s a BEAUTIFUL Unix. Means that, it has solid system as server (no virus, no st*p** restart/shutdown) but beautiful and efficient UX - even better at some aspects than Windows.
2nd reason is the design & longevity. 3rd reason is integration / ecosystem.

Last edited:

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Another controversial reason - I guess I am just a sucker for a company going through a reign of excellence. Never in history have I seem a company subject to much criticism, negativity and doubt, and not only persist in marching to their own beat all this while, but prosper and prove all the haters wrong while at it. I am impressed, and somewhere along the line, I just decided I wanted to be a part of this new world order being ushered in my Apple.

Snow4maen

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2021
A small island near Europe
My email to Tim Cook.....

Dear Mr Cook,

My first Apple computer was a Titanium PowerBook G4, I remember back then the Windows XP laptops were often very unreliable and needed a lot of rebooting and the thought of doing anything serious on them was not appealing. I did have some problems with my PowerBook, the SuperDrive broke several times, very glad we now don’t need them now. But overall using OS X was a much more enjoyable experience than my previous experience of Windows. Up until then I had always had PC’s.

In recent years I have mostly been using PC desktops and laptops as I liked to play games that were not available on a Mac and liked the value for money, often getting more storage, RAM, etc at a lower price point than a Mac. I have no problem with PC’s, I use and enjoy both PC’s and Mac’s. Recently I have lost interest in gaming and wanted to focus on my creative hobbies, writing and making music. Technically you can do both on a PC, I can use Ableton, and Cubase, and Scrivener on a PC. But using Scrivener on a Mac is much better, I prefer Logic to Cubase, and Ableton works just fine on both. When I look at Windows, it’s functional. But not inspirational. Using Mac OS is such a pleasure, and is also very aesthetically pleasing. When I look at my PC desktop it just doesn’t have the same effect on me as my Mac, on my Mac I feel like I want to create. The design and aesthetics are inspiring. Among other advantages of a Mac, such as vastly superior drivers for audio and video, better built in abilities to handle media, etc. These were all visions that Steve conceptualised many years ago. Something that Microsoft failed to really see the benefit of for a very long time. Although since Windows 10 Microsoft have improved drivers and compatibility, it’s not a patch on a Mac.

Steve’s vision was a rare genius, did anyone else in the world of computers have his ideas back in the 80’s? The original Macintosh was the first computer that enabled creatives to flourish. He saw the computer as an artists tool, not just a functional piece of technology, but something that can enable creativity.

For me being creative is just a hobby, I’m not talented enough to take it seriously, but we all need hobbies. Recently I have purchased a MacBook Pro, M2 Pro. Although I have had an affinity with computers since I was a child, and also enjoy using PC’s. The experience I have had with my MacBook is far and away better than my PC experience. Basic functions are better, the notes, stickies app and iCloud. Are much nicer to use than similar apps on the PC.

I would say, one of the reasons I decided to come back to Apple was my experience of the iPhone, I have had Samsungs in the past, and they are OK, but the quality and experience of using an iPhone is far superior to the Samsung and Windows experience. I think when Steve created the iPod it was seen as a good way to get more people to buy the computers, I think the iPhone now does this.

I read Walter Isaacson’s biography on Steve Jobs and it was one of the most fun and interesting books I have read, Apple made business interesting, often companies are dull and mediocre, but Steve put quality at the heart of Apple, his creativity made Apple stand out as a company. The accounts of other businesses in the book seem quite dull in comparison, and I think for anyone in the tech industry even today Apple are the leaders, android manufactures often look to Apple for innovation, but they can’t emulate Apple.

My first Mac was a Power PC processor, I remember them having quite an advantage over the Intel chips of the day, but they eventually got too power hungry and hot and the Intel chips were not very efficient either. The Apple philosophy of integration and in house control and design couldn’t be realised using CPU’s from other manufactures. That’s why I think the transition to Apple Silicon has been one of the most significant advances for Apple ever. I am looking forward to seeing what is coming next with Apple Silicon. The whole process of design and research needed to create the Apple Silicon must have taken a lot of time and effort, but I think it’s such an advantage that its an essential move for the future. And it’s very exciting.

I have been disappointed by actions taken by some sources within the United States, and also those in the EU, who seem to want to just make things more difficult for very petty reasons. Some actions just seem very anti business, if a country cares about business, why penalise a successful one?

My financial situation in the future may not look too good. I am a disabled person, I am autistic, have learning difficulties and mental health problems. I have not given up, but until I am settled I unfortunately may have to settle for a cheap PC, for the basics. When I can, I will always want to get a Mac. I hope I can enjoy many future Mac’s and have fun with my creative hobbies.

On occasion I have heard comments like ‘Steve wouldn’t do that’, etc. But living in the past is not a good way to continue to innovate and be successful. As great as Steve was, no one can go on forever. The world now is so much more complicated than the 80’s, technology has become much more dynamic. Since we lost Steve, we’ve seen the completion of the new Apple campus, which looks significantly better than how things used to be. And we’ve seen the transition to Apple Silicon, the next innovation of importance is likely AI, and I have heard positive things about what you have achieved here. I’m looking forward to seeing what Apple can do with this technology.

Being autistic, I have quite an affinity with computers, and I like very much my PC. But I’m actually in love with my Mac. This platform simply would not exist if it were not for the vision of Steve. But I think he made a great choice in trusting you with the running of Apple. I’m very excited to see what you have coming in the future, thank you, and Steve, for creating a computer I can love.

I hope this email finds you well?

God Bless,

Saul Elijah.

Moncler

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2024
I'm just used to apple tech, it is the most comfortable and "long lasting" for me compared to others.

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
Being autistic, I have quite an affinity with computers, and I like very much my PC. But I’m actually in love with my Mac. This platform simply would not exist if it were not for the vision of Steve. But I think he made a great choice in trusting you with the running of Apple. I’m very excited to see what you have coming in the future, thank you, and Steve, for creating a computer I can love.
Not wanting to sidetrack the thread, but this caught my eye. I was wondering if there is something specific about the Mac or using it that particularly appeals to you in relation to being on he spectrum?

Just being curious.

Snow4maen

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2021
A small island near Europe
Not wanting to sidetrack the thread, but this caught my eye. I was wondering if there is something specific about the Mac or using it that particularly appeals to you in relation to being on he spectrum?

Just being curious.
I think being autistic gives me a sort of affinity for computers in general. I got my first computer when I was about six, an Amstrad CPC. I’ve never really been without a computer since then and I just have a love for them in general. Very much now into retro stuff, grew up with the Spectrum, Atari ST, Amiga, etc. I’m not quite sure why I have this fetish, but of course computers are fun and very useful. Not sure it’s the autistic in me that makes me appreciate a Mac. It’s pure aesthetics. My PC is a humble useful utilitarian thing. But it does not inspire me to be creative. Apple care about aesthetics, from the physical design of the computer to the operating system. And they make it easy to use and very helpful if you want to be creative. I find the design of Mac OS to be inspirational compared to the functional nature of Windows. Macs are beautiful, and I find that appealing. But it’s probably not specifically an autistic thing. I just like beauty. I have very fond memories of my old 486 PC. Grew up playing Monkey Island, and Space Quest. But I’m not all that bothered with games anymore. Also, when I use a PC, I have a certain amount of paranoia in that as it’s all from different manufacturers, with possible compatibility issues and really could develop issues any time that would be a pain to fix. A Mac is streamlined with much tighter control over the interaction of hardware and software, so I usually have more confidence with it. But of course, things can go wrong on a Mac too, it’s just less likely. I like reliability.

chmania

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2023
I got myself a once high end MBP to run macOS, as there was no other way to do that except making a Hakintosh. The last time I ranmacOS was in 2005 and that was on a Celeron netbook. Since then it was Linux and Windows in between. Finally, a jump to a MBP to run macOS, Safari and Preview. The dock is less useful considering what they have in Linux distros. The same goes for the Launchpad. But, Safari, Preview is tops, but Finder is not. OK, Word and Excel works better in macOS than in Windows. I suddenly started liking Pages and Numbers, lovely apps. And, Books app, but without all that buying suggestions. By the way, my MBP is made in 2019, but a 2018 model. Doesn't get heated up, keyboard works flawlessly, battery is still good (running ~30mins less than officially stated),
Screenshot 2024-04-05 at 21.06.50.jpg
a lovely machine. Now, that Apple has gone M chip, thinking of buying a M2 or M3 MBA. I find I don't need a MBP for work and leisure. Have been playing with a M2 MBA at a friendly shop for sometime. Looks lovely, clear crisp letters and images, but the next MBA (or MBP) has to wait a long time, even if Apple stops supporting macOS 14 (or 15) for Intel Macs. I'm sure this MBP has at lest another 5 years life. By that time, M3 chip Macs will be old. Or, Apple might return to Intel (and AMD)...👌

By the way, just can't imagine a MacBook without a Touch Bar. Asus is making dual screen laptops, some Chinese companies are making one full screen plus 1/3 screen and a keyboard laptops. How many people use the function keys these days? Even, with Windows laptops?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.