Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fredstar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2004
Near London
Running Tiger 10.4.1, and i am sure it did this with Panther as well, but keyboard shortcuts always reset back to the default after a restart.
It is very annoying, is there anyway to save your keyboard shortcuts permanently?
thanks

Fredstar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2004
Near London
Yes it does, it is VERY annoying. But i swear it did this in Panther, although i never really customized shortcuts then so i wasn't that bothered

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Fredstar said:
Yes it does, it is VERY annoying. But i swear it did this in Panther, although i never really customized shortcuts then so i wasn't that bothered

I only want one real customized shortcut, which is the one to keyboard focus the menu bar (like the alt key in Windows). I also seem to remember that this getting reset in Panther.

But there's one other big annoyance here...by default, Spotlight and international keyboards use the same shortcuts. Now that's a bit of a no-go.... :( That has to stay different.

So if Tiger settles down (it seems to be crashing a lot less for me now), then I will still have to redo this every couple of weeks? Hmmm....

EDIT: If no one else has, I will submit a ticket about this. :(

Fredstar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2004
Near London
mkrishnan said:
I only want one real customized shortcut, which is the one to keyboard focus the menu bar (like the alt key in Windows). I also seem to remember that this getting reset in Panther.

But there's one other big annoyance here...by default, Spotlight and international keyboards use the same shortcuts. Now that's a bit of a no-go.... :( That has to stay different.

So if Tiger settles down (it seems to be crashing a lot less for me now), then I will still have to redo this every couple of weeks? Hmmm....

EDIT: If no one else has, I will submit a ticket about this. :(

I can't believe by default they put the same shortcuts for the two. Really shows how Tiger has been rushed. And yeh everyone will have to change them everytime they restart, unless Apple change this in the 10.4.2 release and add a blummin preference menu for keyboard shortcuts

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
I'm not having problem with resetting keyboard shortcuts, but there's definitively something fishy with the System Preferences in Tiger. I've noticed several bugs, last recent these two:

My Accounts setting keeps locking itself even if the unlock secure system preference option in Security is not checked.

My Desktop (image) preference resets itself to "Stretch to fill screen" in stead of the "Fill screen" option I (usually) wants it to stay at.

I tried throwing away the ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systempreferences.plist file and restart (had to restart just now because of the QuickTime update), but that didn't help at all... (I'm not even sure it did anything, but I'm too lazy to boot into single user mode and remove the plist file again...)

Leeloo the 5th

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2005
Belgium
I've found that with 10.4.1, not only do the shortcuts reset themselves after a reboot, but also after a couple of hours. The other day I set a shortcut in the morning, and it had reset itself when I wanted to use it in the evening, without rebooting.
Even the reset at reboot is annoying, as I switch off my Mac mini every evening and cut off the power to all my computers and stuff.

I came here to search for a solution for this issue, but apparently there is none...

Leeloo the 5th

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2005
Belgium
I've searched the Apple boards a bit, and found a partial solution (but it was exactly what I was looking for). I wanted to assign F8 to the Spotlight field on the top right of the screen, which always reset itself after a restart. So the solution I found was to change this shortcut in the Preferences under Spotlight, and not under Keyboard and Mouse. I did this and the shortcut still works after a reboot.
Of course that doesn't solve the issue for the other shortcuts, but it may help some.

Nickygoat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2004
London
I've got the same problem - I never had it with Panther. The flag on the menu bar also resets itself occasionally to default(argh - US- nooooooo :p )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.