Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
I disagree that one new laptop would so thoroughly confuse potential Mac buyers from buying any Mac. I think the vast majority of computer purchasers are much more simple about purchasing-- and that one major factor is aesthetics. Example, in my many trips to various Apple stores and Genius Bars, I see and chat with people who don't have a clue what their Mac is called: it's "the white one with the screen included," the "silver laptop," "the white laptop."

Will the MBA aggravate those who actively know just enough to contemplate specs? Maybe, but it seems that much more ironic (and almost moronic) given those are the very people who should understand that different people use computers differently.

But maybe that's why it escapes them-- they can't understand that slightly less power at a price premium for a smaller/ lighter package is ideal for others.

mhaas

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2004
Could not agree more!

"Why do some people appear to HATE the MBA?"

Because everyone wants something that perfectly suits them.
Because everyone wants all the power of an MBP squeezed into something like the Air.

So basically, because it's impossible to please everyone.

And I think it's terribly difficult for some people to swallow the fact that smaller does not necessarily mean cheaper and can often mean the inverse.

And yet others refuse to get it through their thick skulls that not everyone needs soooo much power on-the-go. And to be fair, the Air's CPU if faster than the rev. A MBs and even the rev A MBPS since those were CD and not C2D, no? Seems plenty snappy if you're gonna be doing simpler things like MS Office, 'net browsing... video playback (er, like if you have ripped movies on the HD).

Whatever, it's annoying when people are too thick to realize people have different needs and wants. Just gotta do your best to filter 'em out.

:super late edit: As far as the footprint goes, I went from a 12" PB, to a 12" iBook, and then to a 13" MB. Weight-wise all very comparable. Is the footprint bigger? Obviously. And believe me, I was v reluctant to go bigger. But now? I quite like the resolution afforded by the bigger screen and admittedly, would have a difficult time going back to a smaller screen. So yes, the MBA sounds lovely to me (which isn't to say I don't wish it was cheaper ;)).

You sum it all up very nicely!

It seems to me that some people were expecting a mac book pro air at the size of the old small powerbook and with the price of the Asus Eeee -> Apple will never release this! And why would they?

Yes, not everything is perfect, but the mac book air is not meant to be a desktop replacement machine like the mac book pro sort of is. It is primarily a machine for people on the go. For that a processor that is tuned down is ideal, yes only 1 USB port is a bummer, but one possible dealing with. I don't miss the ethernet as it has wifi.

For work I use a 12'' Dell Latitude (it was not my deciscion...), without an external optical drive, so anything mine can do, the mac book air can do better.

My only gripes are the battery, as I try to preserve my battery by taking it out when I have it at work plugged into the power supply.

Yes, it has a bigger footprint than the old powerbook 12" but honestly the old 12" powerbook was a tuned up 12" ibook and as such thick-as-a-brick. I still consider the AIR a ultraportable because of its weight and thinness. Anything you can put in an A4 envelope is very portable for me...

Just my thoughts on the matter!

Mathis

Yes, the price, but consider that it comes with SSD and an LED backlighted screen, and that cool mac book keyboard.

maverick808

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2004
Scotland
Before the MBA was announced there seemed to be an extremely large demand for a 12" PowerBook replacement. Basically, a hell of a lot of people wanted a 12 or even 13" MacBook Pro; a machine with all the features of the MBP but in a small and relatively light form. In my opinion, before the MBA release, there was virtually no demand for a really, really thin 13" MacBook, which is what the MBA is.

I think a lot of the people who dislike the MBA are the ones that want a small pro laptop. With the release of the MBA it is now extremely unlikely that Apple will release a smaller pro laptop anytime in the near future. Therefore, a lot of people dislike the MBA because it is a release that not only doesn't suit their needs, but also kills any hope for the machine they did want. It might not be that they hate the MBA, they just don't like that it represents the end of any hope for a 12" MBP.

treacle

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2002
metro New York area
As I wait for Fed Ex to deliver my MBA this morning. I too was hoping it would be more like the 12" PowerBook but it's not. The 12" design doesn't fit into apples current wide screen design that apple uses across the board now.

The MBA is not for everyone, it is for someone who already has a computer and for whom low price is not a major concern. Sure not everyone is going to like it but it's a step in a new direction for apple and I'm glad to be there!

It's Here!!!

mhaas

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2004
Before the MBA was announced there seemed to be an extremely large demand for a 12" PowerBook replacement. Basically, a hell of a lot of people wanted a 12 or even 13" MacBook Pro; a machine with all the features of the MBP but in a small and relatively light form. In my opinion, before the MBA release, there was virtually no demand for a really, really thin 13" MacBook, which is what the MBA is.

I think a lot of the people who dislike the MBA are the ones that want a small pro laptop. With the release of the MBA it is now extremely unlikely that Apple will release a smaller pro laptop anytime in the near future. Therefore, a lot of people dislike the MBA because it is a release that not only doesn't suit their needs, but also kills any hope for the machine they did want. It might not be that they hate the MBA, they just don't like that it represents the end of any hope for a 12" MBP.

In some parts true, but at the same time Apple could (depending on acceptance of the Air) diversify further and create an Air 13" and a smaller Air 11". Sort of growing the family as they usually do from generation to generation.

By the way I like ur avatar, sort of like a stylized wolf's head. Reminds of something...

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
From what I've seen the people who dislike the MBA do so because they expected another machine. The MBA is used for a very specific reason and does not fit everyone's lifestyle. Some people are simply upset the MBA does not fit what they want.

By the way I like ur avatar, sort of like a stylized wolf's head. Reminds of something...

Wildcats...Wildcats...Wildcats Goooo!!! Great cartoon!!!

tstarks33

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
This is the typical Macbook Air Defense Force response to any criticism: "It's not for you." Think the product has design deficiencies? Well, there are some people out there who don't think that, and that's the exact market Apple is trying to reach. Couldn't that reason be used to defend *any* product? "Don't like the fact that this car has to be cranked to be started? Well, my brother doesn't care about using keys to start a car, and that's the market Ford is trying to reach. Really, it's hilarious.

SteveSparks

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
St. Louis, MO.
Before the MBA was announced there seemed to be an extremely large demand for a 12" PowerBook replacement. ...............

I think a lot of the people who dislike the MBA are the ones that want a small pro laptop.

You are exactly right. I think some people wanted more, I was one of them that wanted the small MBP. However, right now I carry and EEE PC as my take it with me everywhere computer. I thouoght about a MBA and finally ordered one. I like the full size screen but the form on a thin system. The EEE is nice, but thiness of the MBA will be welcome in my work bag.

cenetti

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2008

that pretty much sums it up.thats how I feel..
"air" is pretty much useless for me....if it had a firewire and a 2.4-2.8 processor, I would seriously consider getting one....

so now I have to wait SOME MORE for the new pro.....
all this excitement before macworld was for nothing basically....

make a sub notebook with powerful insides...and put a 4K tag on it...I'd buy it
air is slower than mac mini with a 3K tag on it for crying out loud...I cant justify that...no matter how thin it is....

Catch

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2004
London, UK
This is the typical Macbook Air Defense Force response to any criticism: "It's not for you." Think the product has design deficiencies? Well, there are some people out there who don't think that, and that's the exact market Apple is trying to reach. Couldn't that reason be used to defend *any* product? "Don't like the fact that this car has to be cranked to be started? Well, my brother doesn't care about using keys to start a car, and that's the market Ford is trying to reach. Really, it's hilarious.

Well its a pretty solid comeback don't you think? If you do not like ANY product it is clearly not for you. If a product sells and has a market, then that product is not flawed or underpowered or lacking in features for those people that buy it.

What other argument is there when people say that the MBA will not sell because it does not fit their needs?!

Coming on an enthusiast site like this trying to put the product down in the enthusiasts eyes is futile. What's the point? Do you really think that people buying the MBA are not fully aware of its short comings and have decided that this is not a problem for them?

Regards,

C

"air" is pretty much useless for me....if it had a firewire and a 2.4-2.8 processor, I would seriously consider getting one....

air is slower than mac mini with a 3K tag on it for crying out loud...I cant justify that...no matter how thin it is....

I feel for you and all the other pros out there that need small form factor and full feature sets. I hope that Apple listens to you and deliver what is needed. I think the chances are slim, but Apple has surprised us before; MBA anyone? :D

Good Luck,

C

mhaas

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2004

Sub-notebooks never have this kind of processors! That way they develop too much heat and need too much battery, I don't think you have quiet grasped what a sub-notebook is all about. Yes, get a new mac book pro with a speedy processor in a few weeks, but as a trade-off its heavy and bulky in comparison so - you always get what you pay for!

diabolic

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2007
Austin, Texas
This is the typical Macbook Air Defense Force response to any criticism: "It's not for you." Think the product has design deficiencies? Well, there are some people out there who don't think that, and that's the exact market Apple is trying to reach.

If you really believe people out there buying the MBA are somehow ending up with a system less powerful than they need, you really have no clue.

Your use of the phrase "Macbook Air Defense Force" shows exactly where you fit into the consumer demographics far more than anything else you've posted.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Wildcats...Wildcats...Wildcats Goooo!!! Great cartoon!!!
Actually, it's "Thundercats, hooooooo!"

I don't understand the hatred, either. It's true that I have bought an MBA, but that decision was based on a quick-and-dirty analysis of its features and deciding that it will be a more-than-suitable replacement for my (since-sold) MBP. The MBP was perhaps "too much" of a machine for me, in that there were features it had which I never or hardly-ever used. But even if I decided that an MBA was not what I needed, I would hardly "hate" the machine like some people here have been actively doing.

The commenter above who said that the MBA represents the end of any hope for a 12" MBP was probably closest to the mark, I think... some people simply don't like the MBA because it's not the machine they wanted to see from Apple.

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC

But, that is the logical and reasonable way of thinking. The MBA wasn't made for everyone. It was designed specifically for a certain use and many who don't fall in that category are upset over it. It's not Apple's fault. I get the feeling people are just mad Apple didn't launch a new laptop THEY could use so they end up bashing the products. Hey, I can't use the MBA...it doesn't fit my lifestyle at all but I don't think it's junk.

And the "this product isn't made for you" IS the right defense for any product. Yes, that's how the world of business works :) You can't please everyone and Apple wasn't trying to with the MBA. Those who cannot see that are just sour.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Oh yeah, but allot of the hot shots on here need real power so they can edit film on the go. The real pros do that on trains you know! ;)

:p

C

Well there are more than 1 type of user for laptops. Many business users have no need for the fastest laptops and would happily use MBA for presentations, etc.

profiteor

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2008
I'm not an air hater.... i'm actually waiting for delivery.... however i am shocked that the air does not come with an apple remote as standard :eek::eek::eek:

Come Apple, how cheap do you want to be?????? Every other mac (bar the pro) comes this cheap plastic remote..... grrrrrrrrrrr

I do have to admit they really puzzle me on this one.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I'm not an air hater.... i'm actually waiting for delivery.... however i am shocked that the air does not come with an apple remote as standard :eek::eek::eek:

Come Apple, how cheap do you want to be?????? Every other mac (bar the pro) comes this cheap plastic remote..... grrrrrrrrrrr

They're $19 if you really need one. But really a remote for an ultraportable. Do you really need to remote control FR on an MBA. The MBA really isn't the ultramedia mac.

maverick808

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2004
Scotland
They're $19 if you really need one. But really a remote for an ultraportable. Do you really need to remote control FR on an MBA. The MBA really isn't the ultramedia mac.

I'm on the road a lot travelling from one conference to another. I often give Keynote presentations on my MBP and rely on the remote to allow me to walk around while doing so as I feel much more relaxed when I can. The first day when I opened my first MBP I used the remote to access Front Row and haven't used it for FR since. However, I've lost count of the number of times I've used the remote when travelling to give presentations. I definitely think Apple should throw in the remote for this use.

profiteor

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2008

The part that "confuses" me in this case is that it does come with the video adapters. Okay, maybe it's because they're a new form factor; 12" PBG4s came with adapters I think. The later MacBook didn't. Most folks with a MBA probably have a remote already. Nonetheless, I bought another. :)

The remote ends up being somewhat useful. It's not just for media, how about Keynote presentations? Given the design of the machine, presentations are the number 2 use of the included video adapters, I'd think. Of course... it's not like they bundle Keynote for free, and I no longer remember if the remote actually works with Powerpoint, without Remote Buddy or mira. And... Powerpoint is third-party anyway. ;)

Sauron's Master

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2002
Saratoga, CA / New York, NY
I think everyone is missing the point.

It's not about why people think the MBA has design flaws; it's about why people have such an emotional attachment that they feel hatred for it. Why are people so negatively worked up about it?

The negative reaction highlights exactly why the MBA is going to sell; since when were people rational about purchases?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.