Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2012
As far as no protector OP, I'm waiting for your next thread where you complain about scratches on your screen!

I laugh my butt off for those that put anti-glare protectors on their phones! It degrades the screen, so what's the point of having retina? Only one Apple sells in their stores degrades the screen they go crazy about.

not sure if serious. People use those for the same reason they might use a privacy screen protector. It serves a purpose. Some people don't want fingerprints...at all.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
not sure if serious. People use those for the same reason they might use a privacy screen protector. It serves a purpose. Some people don't want fingerprints...at all.

Sure it serves a purpose but why buy a "retina" screen if you're simply going to slap a protector on your phone that degrades the screen? Kinda like buying a Lambo then swapping the engine out with a 4banger because you're worried about gas prices.

robotphood

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
Sure it serves a purpose but why buy a "retina" screen if you're simply going to slap a protector on your phone that degrades the screen? Kinda like buying a Lambo then swapping the engine out with a 4banger because you're worried about gas prices.

Might be possible that they just care more about fingerprints and glare? It's not like a retina screen is a choice if you want an iPhone.

As for the whole screen protector debate, get a glass one or stay naked. Done.

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2012

Retina is just Apple's term for high pixel density, and I'm not an expert on Androids, but I'm sure many Androids have even denser screens. Plus, if you want an iPhone, you have no choice but to buy a "retina" screen.

Those people just choose to make a compromise for what they want. I personally don't like anti-glare and can deal with some fingerprints.

I do like your analogy, though. lol

SoLongAndroid

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2013

Easily one of the worst analogies I have ever read. Comparing a visual modification to a performance modification.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
T
Gorilla glass doesn't mean nothing. I've had multiple smartphones including iPhones. I never use screen protectors but I'm also very careful with my phones. I have enough common sense not to stick my phones in the same pockets with car keys or a bunch of loose coin. But even after all that, I always seem to get very minor scratches on all the phones I've used.

That being that, the term "gorilla glass" can be very widely defined.

Keys and coins don't scratch gorilla glass. But sand which is quartz and part of what we call dirt/dust WILL. clean your pants and empty your pockets of left over dirt etc.

And when your clean your screen blow or gentle wipe off loose dirt and dust first. Don't rub it in when you clean with a cloth. And don't use your t shirt. Get a glass cleaning micro cloth and wash it periodically.

I don't use screen protectors and mine are scratch free.

Last edited:

Partridge

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2007

More like buying a sports car and getting the 3M clear bra protective film put on the bumpers. Perfectly reasonable.

Warcake

macrumors regular
May 20, 2013
Well, people who need to resell their phone to be able to buy the next one of course have to preserve the re sale value as much as possible. I never resell my phones, and im pretty careful with it, so i dont use a screen shield. I enjoy the clarity and feel of the bare screen. Although now, i might use one since I'll be passing this down to my sis. If anyone knows a screen shield that isnt a sheet of glass and feels and is as clear as the raw screen, kindly point me in the right way, id love to try it out. :)

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
Why do you need Screen Protectors for iPhone 5? Gorilla Glass 2?

Well, people who need to resell their phone to be able to buy the next one of course have to preserve the re sale value as much as possible. I never resell my phones, and im pretty careful with it, so i dont use a screen shield. I enjoy the clarity and feel of the bare screen. Although now, i might use one since I'll be passing this down to my sis. If anyone knows a screen shield that isnt a sheet of glass and feels and is as clear as the raw screen, kindly point me in the right way, id love to try it out. :)

Tech Armor iPhone 5 Premium High Definition (HD) Clear Screen Protector [3-Pack] - Retail Packaging
http://amzn.com/B008THTTUI

I love the lifetime replacement warranty. I have a lot of extra ones. The clarity is great. If you put it on correctly(no bubbles) you will not notice any difference with it on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

robotphood

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010

Why not glass? Nothing else will feel like a raw screen and certainly won't look like it after a short while.

Dascoyne

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2013
Palo Alto, Ca
I treat my phone carefully and I typically don't get scratches on my screen. I had my iphone 4 for several years before I noticed a couple of minor superficial abrasions. That's why I decided to go without protection on my iphone 5. Well, after a couple of months I noticed a faint peripheral scratch. I don't know if the screen was abraded by sand in my pocket or what. Over time I can imagine it getting annoying with more abrasions.

But that was enough to convince me to put on a Spigen Glas.Tr. It was a great decision. Best of all worlds! Great picture and great protection.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
It's mostly just paranoia: people started buying screen protectors at the first sale of the iphone/smartphone (when it was first released) before they even used the phone or sustained any damage. I.E., they didn't buy them in response to actual experience with damage. And now it is just a habit (a just-in-case).

However, I will say that the glass can scratch, although they end up being extremely minute. Mine scratched from using the Incipio dual pro, wherein debris from use got caught between the silicone overwrap and the screen, and wore over time. The scratches could only be seen at an angle in the light, and were fractions of a mm in width/length.

I would say very few people actually suffer from scratches. Those who do are more likely women that leave their phones in their purses with other things (e.g. keys).

More people suffer from shattering (due to drops), and there is not much we can do there.

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
Piece of plastic over glass, no thanks. These screen maker company's are laughing all the way to the bank.

Matthew098

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2013
Cambridge,MA
Gorilla glass doesn't mean nothing. I've had multiple smartphones including iPhones. I never use screen protectors but I'm also very careful with my phones. I have enough common sense not to stick my phones in the same pockets with car keys or a bunch of loose coin. But even after all that, I always seem to get very minor scratches on all the phones I've used.

That being that, the term "gorilla glass" can be very widely defined.

Yeah~ I totally agree. it doesn't mean your phone won't be damaged with gorilla glass. Using screen is for double protection.

sim0n

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2013
your iphone screen can still crack if you drop it, glas.tr saved my iphone screen from cracking as that took all the impact and cracked infront of my iphone screen, well worth the investment

scott99

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2007
I have the Bodyguardz Pure screen protector on my iPhone, and it's amazing, even though it's thick, I don't notice any less sensitivity in using the screen. And it's clear as day, so it doean't affect the screen clarity at all too. I have no fear of dropping my phone by accident. though, luckily I very rarely do that.

Daniibabbyy

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2013
There are a ton of reasons why using a screen protector is a good idea, the main one being if you don't use one over the course of a two year period your screen will almost certainly get scratched. People seem to be under the very wrong misconception that gorilla glass is somehow this unbreakable, scratch proof force and that's just not the case. Another thing is once you start getting scratches on your gorilla glass, no matter how minor they may seem it does mess with the integrity and the strength of the gorilla glass, making it more susceptible to shattering.

At this point there are so many screen protectors made from such a wide variety of materials that the whole "it just doesn't feel as good as the bare glass" reasoning doesn't hold true anymore. Tempered glass screen protectors for example are amazing, they feel great and are extremely protective.

People use screen protectors to protect their investments, just like some people feel that having insurance on their phone is a must and others think it's a complete waste of money. For me personally I would never use my iPhone without one but that's just me.

Oui

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
You do not need a screen protector for iPhone or iPads at all ever.
Anyone who buys them is simply wasting money. These same people who are so concerned with resale value they spend exorbanant amounts of money on the stupid things, which they will never recoup when selling the device.
The glass used is extremely hard to scratch. If you are seeing any scratches it is simply scratches in oleophobic coating and nothing more. Which by the way even if the coating is to scratch, it will in no way cause it to all of a sudden begin to peel. All of that said people will,continuemtombe duped. It's been happening since the dawn of time. "A sucker is born every minute".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.