Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
Just to update on the main topic:

This generation winner is PS4. There are no signs of Nintendo or Microsoft putting an extra effort to beat Sony this time around. Given how successful Pokemon Go is and how bad the Wii U failed, I am going to guess Nintendo is looking to be a cellphone software developer. Remember its a business, they exist to make money, they are not a cult.

Looks to me Sony and Microsoft will jump into subscription gaming service as the future doesn't look it will be built around hardware consoles anymore. Consoles are becoming more and more like a modified PC.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”

This generation winner is PS4. There are no signs of Nintendo or Microsoft putting an extra effort to beat Sony this time around. Given how successful Pokemon Go is and how bad the Wii U failed, I am going to guess Nintendo is looking to be a cellphone software developer. Remember its a business, they exist to make money, they are not a cult.

Looks to me Sony and Microsoft will jump into subscription gaming service as the future doesn't look it will be built around hardware consoles anymore. Consoles are becoming more and more like a modified PC.

Still depends on how you look at it.

Microsoft has recovered, especially with backwards compatibility ("renting" PS3 games and PS2 games costing more than used copies - really Sony?).

AFA "electronic download" anything - there are rumors that Apple will do away with downloads and go to "streaming music service", the movie industry has always wanted a "pay-per-view" model where you cannot buy your own copy of movies and shows anymore, so "subscription gaming" is the next logical step in that arena (Sony with older game rentals)...

This goes back to what us Videogame Collectors are going for - being able to play games without having to download or paying more money to play...

Reactions: apolloa

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
They haven't recovered at all.....

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/06/13/playstation-4-sales-rise-to-60-point-4-million.html

I also think that their new ridiculously named Xbox One X (and you thought every other iPhone had a silly name) won't help with its price premium and distinct lack of exclusives... give it a few years and it will be just the Switch and Sony :)

So much hate online...

FYI - The "platform" wars are over. Sony, MS, and Nintendo are each doing their own thing:

Nintendo - Timeless IP's and a strong mobile platform (regardless of phones/tablets). Their latest mobile is also a home console.

Microsoft - Integration with their Windows 10 platform, strong home media and online platform. Buying downloads means users also get the Windows version. Consoles are turn-key compared to PC's.

Sony - PSVR, name-recognition (all I can really think of).

All three will sell consoles no matter what the other one does or anyone says at this point...

deckard666

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2007
Falmouth
PS4 Pro and the X are DIRECT competitors otherwise why would head of Xbox say "
Xbox’s Phil Spencer: PS4 Pro is an Xbox One S competitor, not a true 4K console" - No hate bud - I have had them all, PS, Xbox etc but just dont think MS or Nintendo had their A game together this generation. Good luck with the X - I hope it reverses their fortune as competition is a great thing.

Last edited:

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
My favourite squirrel has something to say about the console elitism. He's dead on. WARNING:NSFW language! And your ego may take a blow, too. ;)

Reactions: apolloa

deckard666

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2007
Falmouth
You talk like the companies are looking to sell off divisions. You are coming off as a true fanboy. Doom and gloom to all others cause the Sony overlords sold more units.

All the others ? There are only three horses in this race and pre-switch there were really just two.

I am almost 50 and owned pretty much every console from the Atari VCS on and certainly not partisan to any one side but the header for this thread is why did the PS4 win and the sales figures sadly for MS say they got rather badly beaten so the question is why ? And will it continue ....

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
All the others ? There are only three horses in this race and pre-switch there were really just two.

I am almost 50 and owned pretty much every console from the Atari VCS on and certainly not partisan to any one side but the header for this thread is why did the PS4 win and the sales figures sadly for MS say they got rather badly beaten so the question is why ? And will it continue ....

Well for starters:

(not even mentioning the online-only-you're-just-buying-an-install-disc system) :eek:

MS pushed the Kinect ending up being $100 more than a PS4, plus anything worth downloading and using was behind their XBox Live Gold subscription paywall (Netflix, Hulu, YoutTube, Free To Play games).

The same with games. Titanfall was $60 and on top of that you had to have a subscription.

That's why back then, I got a PS4 - $100 cheaper, I got free games to play and Netflix/Hulu/Youtube without spending any extra money.

The launch is very, very important, and set them way back getting out of the gate...

(btw, I started with the Coleco Telstar Pong and almost got a Fairchild Channel F).... ;)

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
At a recent con, was surprised to see many indie devs release for Xbox, but not PS. Apparently, Microsoft got their act together by providing cheap/free dev kits and the like, whereas Sony still charges an arm and a leg. Quite a reversal of fortune from last decade where one indie dev just straight up accused M$, "they didn't just drop the ball... they threw it".

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010

So is the wii u in the same generation as the ps4 and the switch is the first console from the next generation?

deckard666

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2007
Falmouth
If this (new) trend of just adding slightly better hardware and a trendy word after the established name PS4 or XBox One every few years won't they both end up the biggest selling consoles in history eventually as the PS4 is almost 4 years old now and I'm sure Sony can find a few more words to add to the Pro moniker :) I don't think The big N do this next generation thing as I presume really next gen really means much more powerful and N has never been spec mad.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth

Doubt it. Nintendo becoming a software only developer makes as much sense as Apple licensing out iOS and OSX to other manufacturers. It just doesn't make sense when they're back on track with the Switch

Reactions: blesscheese

KUKitch

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2008
England
My Switch is awesome, though I haven't had a ton of use for it since I beat Zelda - but if there are more games like that it really is an unbeatable platform to be able to take console games on the go... It's what I wished my POS Vita would have been, with controls that actually work. I also have an Xbox One now, and I do prefer Xbox Live to the PS version... I missed it when I switched from 360 to PS4, though I ultimately sold that.

I do think they're all pretty great and would own all of them, but of course money and time dictate otherwise. I think the PS was just more together out of the gate and that gave it an advantage, similar to the 360 the last time around, and it's tough to make up that ground

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
So is the wii u in the same generation as the ps4 and the switch is the first console from the next generation?
Only if you still believe console generations are a thing. I don't believe they are a thing anymore. The PS4 Pro and XB1X go someways to prove this. Also the fact that Nintendo pulled the plug on the WiiU before the Switch was ready is another point to consider. The UI and some other features are clearly half baked on the Switch, but Nintendo wanted to break their usual 5 year console cycle just to kill off the WIiU and replace it with something better.

Reactions: Mac'nCheese

Larry_Gilmore

Suspended
Oct 11, 2017
My opinion PS4 is the Best Game console. Have great shape, Gamepad, and awesome Graphics. Sony launched great game console.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
The PS4 won by being an average console in a race with two other consoles that faceplanted at the start. The WiiU and XB1 were flawed, poorly advertised and had no good games at the start. Nintendo tried to rectify this but the damage was already done.

1x average beats 2x terrible any day of the week.

The Switch though is arguably doing better than the PS4 did 6 months in. However the PS4 and Switch are competitiors but in different races. So it's hard to compare them.
[doublepost=1507730450][/doublepost]
That's if you still believe console generations are a thing. The Switch and PS4 Pro/XB1X go a long way to say console generations are not really as much of a thing as they used to be.

Reactions: Mac'nCheese

hawkeye_a

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2016
IMHO
1. Sony focused on games. I remember Microsoft constantly mentioning TV, Kinect/voice control stuff, skype etc... during their presentation.
2. From what i remember, the differences in "announced" DRM left a bad taste in gamer's mouth (despite Microsoft reversing course eventually).

FWIW, i think the XBoS/X with its 4k BR and HDR support is an overall better/complete product as a media hub.

Cheers

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
My opinion PS4 is the Best Game console. Have great shape, Gamepad, and awesome Graphics. Sony launched great game console.

Some would say it is Sony's PS2, but the games were still too "Japanese" for me, and the Dreamcast and Xbox had great graphics and games that I love (Sonic, Halo). Sony just had the hype, which led to their PS3 launch disaster (note to Sony: 3DO much? :eek:).

PS4, they definitely nailed it - $399, great launch games, F2P games and demos, and Netflix, Hulu, YouTube (not behind their paywall) at start.

So simple, yet you wonder why MS and Nintendo had to complicate everything (fancy tablet gamepad and Kinect).

kevy2pale

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2017
ps4 outsold xbox by a large margin... reason is they didnt play games at launch. XBOX tried to screw people by making it so u needed to be online all the time and so you couldnt trade games with friends. people got annoyed and they changed the policy.. then exclusives.. xbox one has a fraction of the ones ps4 has... and none of them compare. not a single game on xbox close to horizon zero dawn.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Oh dear oh dear, people still battling on about this rubbish? I’ll tell some home truths..

Sony, I got a launch PS4 that was dead out the box, great quality control there, replacement was alright but I had to wait for it... however of course it sounds like a jet fighter on take off when in use, a fault that Sony fixed after a year of launch.. yeah that’s nice they didn’t design it properly in the first place.
Exclusives, well theirs only one and that’s The Last Of Us, I played the others and they are pretty meh, even Uncharted wasn’t as good as the second one.
They offer INCREDIBLY poor value for money, the console costs more, didn’t have decent WiFi till the slim model, and the ‘free’ games on PSN, which is now more expensive then Xbox Gold, are an utter joke, they went from great games on the PS3 to endless cheap indie titles.

And as for AAA exclusives, well Sony and Polygon have managed to royally screw up Gran Turismo.. now being an online ONLY exclusive test to see if your worthy of some racing license.. that’s peed my brother in law off no end, a massive GT fan ONLY because of the in depth campaign mode, he has zero interest in the new one.
Yeah that’s one mess of a game, but maybe, just maybe, in five years they’ll release the single player game?

Meanwhile Xbox has had several Forza interations all fantastic, also on Xbox you get INCREDIBLE value for money, great free games for Xbox Gold, which is still a better service then PSN, and you get endless sales too, unlike Sony which only offer special events.
Plus with the Xbone you’ve had decent WiFi since day one, the new S plays 4K BlueRays, and the Xbox X is expensive, but it is also much more powerful then the PS4 Pro.

But defenders will still defend Sony, I never use my PS4, only reason I still have it is for Last Of Us 2 and my nephew when he comes round. The majority of Sonys profits now come from the PlayStation, they had a cracking start, could of really killed it, and instead just price gouge you compared to the competition.
They had the more powerful machine he and wasted it, in some cross platform games the PS4 offers slightly better graphics, but that’s it.

Nintendo also beat Sony, in innovation, the Switch is a clever and interesting and different device, it also beats any tablet or smartphone as you won’t get Mario Kart on those..

Sony hasn’t won every month in sales figures either, most of them head but this year Microsoft have beaten them a couple of times.
You can ‘claim’ Sony won if you want, but that’s to ignore what you’ve lost in the process.

At the end of the day, no one cares, just play what you want, but I would suggest finding something more interesting to do in life then moan about when ch ‘console has won the wars’... because really, no one cares.
[doublepost=1509897149][/doublepost]
The PS4 won by being an average console in a race with two other consoles that faceplanted at the start. The WiiU and XB1 were flawed, poorly advertised and had no good games at the start. Nintendo tried to rectify this but the damage was already done.

1x average beats 2x terrible any day of the week.

The Switch though is arguably doing better than the PS4 did 6 months in. However the PS4 and Switch are competitiors but in different races. So it's hard to compare them.
[doublepost=1507730450][/doublepost]
That's if you still believe console generations are a thing. The Switch and PS4 Pro/XB1X go a long way to say console generations are not really as much of a thing as they used to be.

Haha so I presume you consider the PS4 to be such a master system that the Switch doesn’t compare? Even though the Switch is in fact a home games console that plays games in the TV as well as going mobile, or was it damage limitation on your part to suggest the two are ‘competitors in different races’?

Last edited:
Reactions: h9826790

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
Based on volume sales/installed base: PS4

Based on profits: Nintendo (usually)

The Nintendo 64 and GameCube wasn't close to the PS1 and PS2 in sales but made a healthy profit from it because of their wealth of first-party games that they rarely drop in price.

"The name of the game is the game."

Original PS3 lost $200 for every unit sold since it cost $800 to manufacture. Think Android vs iOS. Volume sales is where Android wins by 70% lead but Apple takes in over 90% of mobile profits.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.