Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 14, 2013
It's the area the iPhone wins hands down. Why didn't Android have a version? I'm sure there's apps, but why isn't it in the OS?

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I don't even have visual voicemail on my iPhone and I never have. I imagine it's a lot to do with the carrier, rather than just a function of the phone/OS. I'm on T-Mob/EE in the UK, though I didn't have it with Vodafone either when I had my iPhone 4. :(

Though if anybody can advise how I can get it, that would be amazing!

daflake

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2008
I don't even have visual voicemail on my iPhone and I never have. I imagine it's a lot to do with the carrier, rather than just a function of the phone/OS. I'm on T-Mob/EE in the UK, though I didn't have it with Vodafone either when I had my iPhone 4. :(

If your carrier doesn't support it, you won't have it. In the USA it is pretty standard, but here in Europe we simply don't get it. I am with Vodafone here in Germany and we don't have it either.

Reactions: timeconsumer

AppleMichael

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2015

EE supports Visual Voicemail

To activate this service just text iPhone visual to 150.

http://ee.co.uk/help/phones-and-dev...ssaging-and-email/iphone-5---visual-voicemail

Reactions: keysofanxiety

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina

Odd. I have T-Mobile USA and I get visual voice mail. Not that I rely on it much.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
So is it just that I use a Samsung that I don't have it? Or is it purely carrier? (I didn't have it on EE and don't have it on O2, two of the biggest networks in the UK).
I think it's up to the carrier to support it. As per the link it says:

Implementation
The Carrier must provide a visual voicemail server implementing the OMTP VVM specifications.

It looks like EE only supports it on the iPhone and Nokia Lumia 650.

https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Android/Samsung-S7-Visual-Voicemail/td-p/471339

As far as O2, it looks like they probably only support it on the iPhone. I found a discussion for Android where the last post said they are working with Google to implement it.

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Andro...l-Voicemail-on-Android-Marshmallow/m-p/937883

Hopefully they will be able to add it soon because not having visual voicemail sounds inconvenient.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I have an iPhone 7 Plus on T-Mobile U.S. no Visual Voicemail here, I always have a little red notification on my phone icon, says voicemail, but I need to dial in old school to voicemail.

Whereas my awesome Nexus 6P, has a Visual Voicemail app from T-Mobile, and it works like a charm perfectly. I looked in the Apple App Store, and no such thing from T-Mobile.

Plus my Nexus 6P has Visual Voicemail baked into the Phone / Dialer app stock.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009

Just use Google Voice as your visual voicemail. It's very reliable, free, and no need for any carrier plan changes or charges.

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
I have an iPhone 7 Plus on T-Mobile U.S. no Visual Voicemail here, I always have a little red notification on my phone icon, says voicemail, but I need to dial in old school to voicemail.

Whereas my awesome Nexus 6P, has a Visual Voicemail app from T-Mobile, and it works like a charm perfectly. I looked in the Apple App Store, and no such thing from T-Mobile.

Plus my Nexus 6P has Visual Voicemail baked into the Phone / Dialer app stock.
On my 7plus on Verizon when tap on voicemail icon there is a list of voice mails when I tap on one the transcribed text and option to play is right there. Yes it is baked in ;) maybe you have a "special" iPhone

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
So is it just that I use a Samsung that I don't have it? Or is it purely carrier? (I didn't have it on EE and don't have it on O2, two of the biggest networks in the UK).
My wife has it on her US T Mobile S6. It is an app supplied by T Mobile but it works just about the same as on my iPhone (well, it doesn't have the transcription).

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
My wife has it on her US T Mobile S6. It is an app supplied by T Mobile but it works just about the same as on my iPhone (well, it doesn't have the transcription).

Yeah, in my experience it's provided via third party apps from US carriers and it's not nearly as good as the native integration (if available) on iOS. The AT&T version I've used is buggy as hell and took many attempts to set up initially.

I've used the Google Voice equivalent in the past but found the Voice app and execution to be lacking as well. Has it improved with the newly overhauled Google Voice app?

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Yes, you need an app on T-Mobile. I had the app and never used it. I thought people said visual voicemail was built into 6.0.1.

grkm3

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2013
I had it for a month for free on my gs7 on Verizon but now it's 2.99 a month.

not worth it because I barely get voicemail.

Screenshot_20170125-125941.png

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
On my 7plus on Verizon when tap on voicemail icon there is a list of voice mails when I tap on one the transcribed text and option to play is right there. Yes it is baked in ;) maybe you have a "special" iPhone

When I tap on the Voicemail tab in the Phone it automatically starts dialing a number for me to get my Voicemail, like some ancient way from ten years ago.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Have been taking Google Voice/Hangouts for granted since 2011 with cloud voicemail, transcription, free unlimited inbound/outbound calls and SMS/MMS, WIFI calling, multi-line capability, access from PC and carrier free. Odd to see it's still a struggle for some.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Nah, just not provisioned for iPhone Voicemail. I have to change all my users on Verizon when they go from Android to iOS with the proper features. IF you sim swap a lot between phones, not even worth the headache.

Have same problem on AT&T. I don't bother notifying them anymore when I switch since their Android vvm app is not worth the effort. Also means I'd have to reprovision when I go back to an iPhone or I won't have VoLTE or wifi calling.

Reactions: timeconsumer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.