Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aragornii

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010
Title says it all. iPhone 6 and mid 2012 Retina Macbook Pro. All running the latest software.

burne

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2007
Haarlem, the Netherlands
The thing that fixed it for me was: log every account off. Reboot everything. Connect to the same wifi. (I have 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks, being on the same network matters..). Log everything in using the same account. I'm ancient so my *apple account can be <me>@me.com, <me>@icloud.com and <me>@mac.com. Mixing those isn't helpful. Choose one (I suggest iCloud.com).

Once everything is synced, things should start to work. It's hasn't been useable in the past but the last few months have been pretty nice, bugwise.

Reactions: Aragornii

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
What I try to do is: update all iOS devices to the latest iOS 8.4 beta 3.

I have seen countless unresponsive continuity attempts before updating to this beta.

Or you may try to reset all settings on your device. This might help.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I suspect it's something to do with the OS.

I notice the same thing with the other features. Airdrop and handoff all work flawlessly between my iPhone and iPad. Yet airdrop between my iPhone and MBA is like hit or miss; with my iPhone detecting my MBA only about ½ the time.

So iOS works with iOS, but still not quite compatible with OS X. That's my guess.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I suspect it's something to do with the OS.

I notice the same thing with the other features. Airdrop and handoff all work flawlessly between my iPhone and iPad. Yet airdrop between my iPhone and MBA is like hit or miss; with my iPhone detecting my MBA only about ½ the time.

So iOS works with iOS, but still not quite compatible with OS X. That's my guess.

Yosemite has too many network connectivity problems.

Here is an article analysing possible root cause, and workaround.
http://furbo.org/2015/05/05/discoveryd-cluster****/

Apple seems will fix this issue in the next version of mac OS X.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Yosemite has too many network connectivity problems.

Here is an article analysing possible root cause, and workaround.
http://furbo.org/2015/05/05/discoveryd-cluster****/

Apple seems will fix this issue in the next version of mac OS X.
You don't even need to wait. The latest OS X beta replaces discoveryD. Now that you reminded me, I just went to try out airdrop and handoff with my Mac. It might be a fluke, but I swear that airdrop detection was near instantaneous between my iPhone and my Mac. I will try a few more times later.

https://appleseed.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
You don't even need to wait. The latest OS X beta replaces discoveryD. Now that you reminded me, I just went to try out airdrop and handoff with my Mac. It might be a fluke, but I swear that airdrop detection was near instantaneous between my iPhone and my Mac. I will try a few more times later.

https://appleseed.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/

Apple has beta test policies which I reject. But I think next version will resolve this issue.

Yosemite internet connection issue annoys me quite a long time.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Apple has beta test policies which I reject. But I think next version will resolve this issue.

Yosemite internet connection issue annoys me quite a long time.
True that. Let's keep our fingers crossed. :)

But seriously, that guy who suggested this change really needs to be strung up like a piñata.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
True that. Let's keep our fingers crossed. :)

But seriously, that guy who suggested this change really needs to be strung up like a piñata.

If apple still insist on developing software despite strong user desire on stability and optimisation, I may try purchasing windows phone instead. I think apple is smart enough to let majority users satisfied, rather than satisfying those business guys capable of upgrading hardware every quarter.

Aragornii

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010
Thanks all for the comment and interesting discussion. Glad to know that it's probably a Yosemite issue and not a hardware problem with my rMBP. I am going to give the beta a tryout.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.