Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

farqueue

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2006
Hello people, i just got 2gb of ram from powerline memory. I am using a 1.83 macbook.

Why do applications load much slower???

eg dashboard takes about 4 seconds to fully load while with stock 512mb memory dashbaord takes about 2.5 seonds...

and i timed opening fire fox, about 4.7seconds, with 512memory about 4.1 seconds ( i did this with stop watch)

boot time for 512 stock was 22.7 seonds, 2gb was 26 seconds!!!

what the hell???

checked "about this mac" shows 2gb of dual channel ram .... system profiler shows status OK

but

when runing mac hardware test i get this error

4MEM/1/40000000

has this got to do wth the new ram that i insatlled>?

farqueue

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2006
Electro Funk said:
have you recently done any new software updates or installed any new programs on the comp?

10.4.7 recent upgrade??
i got that

farqueue

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2006
Scarlet Fever said:
ive heard about this before on these forums...

is it still slower the second time you load the program?

no its not slower second time u load programs

codo

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2006
England, United Kingdom
Like Scarlet Fever, I have read comments similar to this several times in different thread when MacBooks are utilising 2GB. Hmmm...

Firmware update needed? Fatly Motherboard? Could it be the new RAM is of a lower quality?

farqueue

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2006
codo said:
Like Scarlet Fever, I have read comments similar to this several times in different thread when MacBooks are utilising 2GB. Hmmm...

Firmware update needed? Fatly Motherboard? Could it be the new RAM is of a lower quality?

hi, its ram from powerline memory. ran the software update check, all software up to date

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
Sounds like it is time to diagnose the problem. The first thing I would do is check that the timings on your current RAM are exactly the same as the original RAM that shipped with the machine. Did you buy certified for Apple RAM? If you didn't there is your problem right there.

The next step would be to run the hardware test with the original RAM installed to make sure you don't get that error. Then test each stick of the new RAM on there own. If you get the error on 1 of the sticks and not the other there is your faulty stick. If you get it on both I'd try to get both replaced.

If you tried both sticks of RAM on there own (without error), chuck both in, run the test again, and if this time you get the error I'd be calling Apple and asking them to explain why it is happening (if the RAM is certified, if it isn't good luck getting them to say anything).

farqueue

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2006
risc said:
Sounds like it is time to diagnose the problem. The first thing I would do is check that the timings on your current RAM are exactly the same as the original RAM that shipped with the machine. Did you buy certified for Apple RAM? If you didn't there is your problem right there.

The next step would be to run the hardware test with the original RAM installed to make sure you don't get that error. Then test each stick of the new RAM on there own. If you get the error on 1 of the sticks and not the other there is your faulty stick. If you get it on both I'd try to get both replaced.

If you tried both sticks of RAM on there own (without error), chuck both in, run the test again, and if this time you get the error I'd be calling Apple and asking them to explain why it is happening (if the RAM is certified, if it isn't good luck getting them to say anything).

Hey thanks for the tip.

I'll try it some time as i dont have the screw driver around. Its at my parents place. God... why does apple have to use those small screws. Screw them lol

I got the ram from powerlinememory.com heres the link
http://store.powerlinememory.com/apple-mac-memory-macbook-macbook-1-83ghz-intel-core-duo.html
2gb kit

Electro Funk

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2005
The Opium Garden
farqueue said:
10.4.7 recent upgrade??
i got that

a few of my apps on the black macbook seem to take a few bounces after the 10.4.7 update also... but only after a fresh reboot... after loaded initially, they open quickly next time...

farqueue

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2006
dex22 said:
Did you get the Generic (boo!), Major brand, or Factory original (identical to major brand)?
i am a poor student..... generic

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.