Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rwm514

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
I have a new to me 15in 1.67 ghz powerbook. I just put a fresh install of 10.5.8 on and all was well until it started randomly going black and putting itself to sleep. It does this whether plugged in or not and requires hitting the power button briefly to light the screen back up but it usually blacks out again in a few secs. It doesnt seem very hot, which was my first thought. Also the battery was holding a decent charge prior to these black outs. Any ideas of what it is would be greatly appreciated.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
obvious things first ,when you did a fresh install did you look in the energy safer settings , as the original settings in leopard are set very very low

not so obvious restore permissions , and eventually you got a dead pram "battery"

Last edited:

rwm514

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
obvious things first ,when you did a fresh install did you look in the energy safer settings , as the original settings in leopard are set very very low

not so obvious restore permissions , and eventually you got a dead pram "battery"

Yeah, i changed them to longer, also it just goes black not dim. thx

rwm514

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008

Hmm, I did try to erase the disk prior to reinstalling the OS, and I think I might have "restored permissions". Can you please elaborate? thx

Last edited:

rwm514

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
I went into disk utility and verified and repaired permissions, There were a bunch conflicting things which got fixed, it seemed to be fixed but now it just started shutting off again :(

Last edited:

PowerGamerX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2009
You have the PowerBook narcolepsy, its cause by a faulty trackpad. Install a utility like sleepless, unfortunately, you won't be able to close the computer and make it sleep.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.